Jack Marriott - Signed on a 3 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

Posh name their price for hotshot

Peterborough have told Championship clubs eyeing 33-goal hot-shot Jack Marriott to cough up £6million.

A number of clubs are weighing up bids including Derby, Norwich, Bristol City and Nottingham Forest.

Former Ipswich trainee Marriott,23, is unproven in the second tier but is regarded as a natural penalty box finisher.

He handled the step up to League One with ease last season after a summer switch from Luton. Derby are likely to bid once their top-scorer Matej Vydra goes with Leeds leading the race for the £11m-rated frontman.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-news-live-manchester-liverpool-12748653

@17:24

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

No way with that price tag, that’s ridiculous. Get Maddison instead 

You say that, but Assombalonga went for 6 rising to 8 4 years ago, and he had a worse scoring record than Marriott. There could be an argument to say that that is actually a good price for him.

That’s quite a lot for what will be a big risk. He’s obviously got talent to score that many goals, but what about his all round play? Can’t say I’ve seen him play so I’ve got no idea, but there’s more to a striker than being a “penalty box finisher”. 

5 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

You say that, but Assombalonga went for 6 rising to 8 4 years ago, and he had a worse scoring record than Marriott. There could be an argument to say that that is actually a good price for him.

Very true, could go either way. Gamble worth taking maybe

Whereas his goal record is good, I think for that price we would be better off looking at Reid, already had a good season at championship level and offer quite a lot other than just goals, or maybe Gayle from Newcastle if we can afford him... 

19 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

Whereas his goal record is good, I think for that price we would be better off looking at Reid, already had a good season at championship level and offer quite a lot other than just goals, or maybe Gayle from Newcastle if we can afford him... 

Gayle would be way too much...I actually like the look of McNulty at Coventry.....

27 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

Same Dwight Gayle that Palace spent over £5m on from Peterborough 5 years ago? Surely Marriott is a similar type of risk as the likes of Gayle & Assombalonga once were?

I can't see him going for quite as much as that. Posh have already made their stance, and I don't think it's the best way to go about it. They've publicly came out and advertised that he's transfer listed as it was a promise if they didn't go up. They've promised him he can move on, so they either sell him or break the promise. I'm not sure what kind of personality he has, but I can't see him being too happy about it either way.

They'll name the price high, see if any Championship side takes a bite. The longer the window goes on, the price will gradually drop. If clubs hold their ground, I reckon a couple million could be knocked off that price and 3-4mil is much more reasonable. Peterborough have committed to selling him, so he'll go at some point this window I'm sure.

Marriott & Reid in with Vydra money? I would be happy with that.

You replace his goals, you get 2 players who got alot of goals & assists last season at this level & league 1 as well as a young gamble who clearly has the quality if the coaching team can get him to make the step up.

A front 3 of Marriott Reid Lawrence would offer pace, youth & creativity - id be happy with that.

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Marriott & Reid in with Vydra money? I would be happy with that.

You replace his goals, you get 2 players who got alot of goals & assists last season at this level & league 1 as well as a young gamble who clearly has the quality if the coaching team can get him to make the step up.

A front 3 of Marriott Reid Lawrence would offer pace, youth & creativity - id be happy with that.

Don't, throw in Tammy Abraham on loan and I will be attending every game half ready for action.

2 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Same Dwight Gayle that Palace spent over £5m on from Peterborough 5 years ago? Surely Marriott is a similar type of risk as the likes of Gayle & Assombalonga once were?

Don’t get me wrong , if we sign him I’ll back him to do well I just think you could spend £6m on Marriott or £7million on Reid or I’d imagine similar on Gayle seeing as he hasn’t been playing at Newcastle. Doesn’t seem a lot more to get someone who has done it at this level too and are still relatively young. 

10 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Gayle would be way too much...I actually like the look of McNulty at Coventry.....

He was deadly all season long, strong quick and he definitely winds the opposition defenders up.

Certainly on my ones to watch list, him and Bayliss have the potential to make the step up.

8 hours ago, DcfcJB said:

Don’t get me wrong , if we sign him I’ll back him to do well I just think you could spend £6m on Marriott or £7million on Reid or I’d imagine similar on Gayle seeing as he hasn’t been playing at Newcastle. Doesn’t seem a lot more to get someone who has done it at this level too and are still relatively young. 

Bristol have already turned down £7 mil for Reid so we wouldn’t get him for that. I doubt very much Gayle would be let go for less than £10 mil. 

When posh say £6 mil that’s the starting point. In reality it’s more like £3-£4 mil with add ons and getting him for around £5 mil.

All this talk of multi million pound signings. Is the talk that Judas left as we haven't a pot to pi*s in and Mel saying we have to tighten budgets and radically reduce the wage bill all poppycock then? I was under the impression that the sale of Vydra would cover these shortfalls??????

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

All this talk of multi million pound signings. Is the talk that Judas left as we haven't a pot to pi*s in and Mel saying we have to tighten budgets and radically reduce the wage bill all poppycock then? I was under the impression that the sale of Vydra would cover these shortfalls??????

Nothing has come out of the club saying we have no money to spend just no 'significant' money - selling Vydra would raise significant funds to spend. The reason for selling Vydra would be

A. Lampard cant see him in his team

B. He is one of the higher earners (we need to cut the wages)

C. He can demand a high fee to funds Lampard's own signings.

Archived