Best ever atmosphere at an away game you attended

Bob The Badger

For a season of great away days, 88/89 takes some beating. Man U, Spurs, Arsenal, Villa all turned over by the mighty rams. For a bunch of 16 year olds fronting it up in pubs all over the country, jumping on service trains with football special tickets it was great fun. I remember having a decent liquid lunch around the pubs of Kings Cross and then getting in at Highbury as a junior for £2, Saunders tortured Adam's all afternoon and 1000's of Rams saw us beat the eventual champions. It's still my favourite season watching the Rams.

for lack of atmosphere (literally), FC La Paz vs Union Tarifa takes some beating. 4000 crowd in the Bolivian national stadium, capacity about 50,000 and 4000+ metres above sea level. I was breathless just walking to the ground, how they played professional football at that altitude was beyond me.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, superrams23 said:

I'm sure we got allocated 3,000 and didn't even sell out 

You’re wrong we sold our allocation and then got given another 1300 because i didn’t get a ticket on initial allocation 

Forest 10 men 

Hull in the playoffs unreal atmosphere 

Leeds, Preston and Sheff Wednesday the year we got promoted, still remember Pesh with that foul an tap in on the back post at hillsbrough

Forest Green Rovers was a good craic too mind 

One from each Decade Blackpool 68/69 3-2 Derby Clough's 2nd Div. Champions elect in full flight and the start of a 22 unbeaten run in the league.

Leicester 1975 the day we drew 0-0 and on the pitch at Filbert Street knowing we were going to Football League Champions the next week.

Sheffield United FA cup game in 86 10,000 Away Fans and the late great Rob Hindmarch scoring at the far post

Huddersfield on Boxing Day 1995 was pretty special on the way with TBE.

Man Utd when Malc Christie scored that goal in 2001 great Atmosphere that day from both sets of fans.

Brighton away in the play offs for this decade.

Overall the Bramall Lane Fa Cup game in probably the best!!

23 hours ago, Whitley ram said:

For a season of great away days, 88/89 takes some beating. Man U, Spurs, Arsenal, Villa all turned over by the mighty rams. For a bunch of 16 year olds fronting it up in pubs all over the country, jumping on service trains with football special tickets it was great fun. I remember having a decent liquid lunch around the pubs of Kings Cross and then getting in at Highbury as a junior for £2, Saunders tortured Adam's all afternoon and 1000's of Rams saw us beat the eventual champions. It's still my favourite season watching the Rams.

for lack of atmosphere (literally), FC La Paz vs Union Tarifa takes some beating. 4000 crowd in the Bolivian national stadium, capacity about 50,000 and 4000+ metres above sea level. I was breathless just walking to the ground, how they played professional football at that altitude was beyond me.

Totally agree....the away Spurs games when we turned them over including the Tin Man breaking his leg, were 2 of the best away games I have been to....

Grimsby 1982 was a day to remember. Playing football on Cleethorpes beach before the game and an overnight stop in Skeggy after......

Shrewsbury the same year I think, DLF spelt out in broken seats in the centre circle after the match.....

Cambridge in 1980, someone opened a gate in the car park next to the ground and herded some cows in, 

The football back then was dire but the craic was tremendous. Great days !!!!

21 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Grimsby 1982 was a day to remember. Playing football on Cleethorpes beach before the game and an overnight stop in Skeggy after......

Shrewsbury the same year I think, DLF spelt out in broken seats in the centre circle after the match.....

Cambridge in 1980, someone opened a gate in the car park next to the ground and herded some cows in, 

I remember the Shrewsbury game, with half a dozen hanging off the goalposts and someone rowing the coracle across the pitch.

4 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I remember all 3, great days out.

3 minutes ago, JG400 said:

Away at kaiserslautern last year , great atmosphere in the town all weekend and 1000 rams fans packed into a small standing area

Don’t forget the few old fogies (myself included) on the other side of the fence in the seats ?

This is a cracking thread & as I’m now in my 60th year I remember some brilliant away days of years gone by just like my fellow oldies who have already posted.

Any away victory at the city Ground is bound to be accompanied by a fantastic atmosphere in our end. In my lifetime these have only ever happened when a Clough has managed us. The 3-2 cup game & the 10 men were fantastic but one that sticks in my mind for atmosphere from yesteryear wasn’t a victory but the 1-1 draw on Boxing Day 1978 (hark now hear ... etc). We were a detiorating team under our worst ever manager, Tommy Docherty, whilst they were league champions who went on to be European cup winners that same season. 

On police advice the match kicked off at 11am & was all ticket, both rare in the day. There were around 8000 Rams on the old east terrace (replaced a few years later by the the BC stand). Their idiots in the Trent end were throwing coins & all sorts of other stuff at us when Gerry Daly stuck a penalty past Shilton just on half time & the match eventually ended  1-1. I remember the atmosphere in our section being electric, it was one of the first times we sung ‘we are Derby, we are Derby ...’ & it lasted the whole of the second half.

I also remember many of the other games already mentioned, especially the Sheffield United games in the 80s. But we also had around 8-10k at Hillsborough in ‘86 & ‘87 for cup games, both night time FA cup ties, both cracking atmospheres but both ended in defeats so aren’t remembered so readily.

The big ones for me though always ended up being Leicester away. I remember some of those mentioned already, as well as some others that haven’t  (eg. 1-0 night match, league cup 1978) 

However, the 0-0 draw at Filbert Street in 1975 will live with me forever. It was a candidate for worst match ever but the result meant we were all but champions —- again!!. There were at least 10,000 of us crammed onto their poxy side terrace with a few thousand more locked outside. My ear drums were exploding with the noise made by our lot. At the final whistle when the other results came over the tannoy we knew we’d all but made it & stormed onto the pitch with our flags, banners & silk scarves.

Happy days !!

16 hours ago, Roboram said:

This is a cracking thread & as I’m now in my 60th year I remember some brilliant away days of years gone by just like my fellow oldies who have already posted.

Any away victory at the city Ground is bound to be accompanied by a fantastic atmosphere in our end. In my lifetime these have only ever happened when a Clough has managed us. The 3-2 cup game & the 10 men were fantastic but one that sticks in my mind for atmosphere from yesteryear wasn’t a victory but the 1-1 draw on Boxing Day 1978 (hark now hear ... etc). We were a detiorating team under our worst ever manager, Tommy Docherty, whilst they were league champions who went on to be European cup winners that same season. 

On police advice the match kicked off at 11am & was all ticket, both rare in the day. There were around 8000 Rams on the old east terrace (replaced a few years later by the the BC stand). Their idiots in the Trent end were throwing coins & all sorts of other stuff at us when Gerry Daly stuck a penalty past Shilton just on half time & the match eventually ended  1-1. I remember the atmosphere in our section being electric, it was one of the first times we sung ‘we are Derby, we are Derby ...’ & it lasted the whole of the second half.

I also remember many of the other games already mentioned, especially the Sheffield United games in the 80s. But we also had around 8-10k at Hillsborough in ‘86 & ‘87 for cup games, both night time FA cup ties, both cracking atmospheres but both ended in defeats so aren’t remembered so readily.

The big ones for me though always ended up being Leicester away. I remember some of those mentioned already, as well as some others that haven’t  (eg. 1-0 night match, league cup 1978) 

However, the 0-0 draw at Filbert Street in 1975 will live with me forever. It was a candidate for worst match ever but the result meant we were all but champions —- again!!. There were at least 10,000 of us crammed onto their poxy side terrace with a few thousand more locked outside. My ear drums were exploding with the noise made by our lot. At the final whistle when the other results came over the tannoy we knew we’d all but made it & stormed onto the pitch with our flags, banners & silk scarves.

Happy days !!

walking out of Filbert Street singling 'champions ,champions' over and over again.  MoD pointing out that there was still a doubt but ending the program showing us singing that song and remarking 'but some think they are already crowned'

21 hours ago, Roboram said:

Happy days !!

Forgot about Boxing Day 78 game.

Derby fans in the Trent End etc. Also looking at my pas Diaries I add a good time at Cambridge in 1980 and Bournemouth 84!

Archived