Best ever atmosphere at an away game you attended

Bob The Badger

I was in my late teens in this era and what a time it was.

You just paid on the day, usually pi&&ed.

We was in the third division then the second then the first, best days of my life.

I remember going to one away game and watching a load of rams having a Mars bar eating competition under the influence.

Truly bonkers, but funny

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Jeez it was scary; there was scrapping and bottles flying the whole way back to the train station. I was only 12 and bricking it the whole way. Great game and result though. The only game at a proper ground where the away fans outnumbered the home fans. 

Special mention to the year before at their place too - FA Cup 1-0 win, Rob Hindmarch (RIP) in front of the away end. 1000s of us there that day and we were in the 3rd division. 

If there was a story of Derby in the 1980s, then both of those games would be there as significant milestones. 

In fact the 80s was full of great away days probably more than any other era, for such different reasons. Collapse, Survival, Revival and back to the top. Epic!

Other great 80s away games for away attendance and atmosphere:

Lincoln 84 and 85

Notts County 85

Wolves 85 (4-0)

Sunderland 87 (2-1)

Notts 88 (Hebbard volley equaliser in the 89th min in front of the away end)

Villa 88 (Goddard / Saunders - one of the best headers I’ve seen)

More recently, the away games since Mac1 have been pretty good. 

But great credit to Nige. The one manager who wanted us to win at the CG more than anyone. And he made it happen. I missed those great games but love watching the highlights. Nige gave us our pride back. And that’s what great away games are all about. Pride and winning in dramatic circumstances. 

Up the chuffin SuperRams!

Was the Wolves 4-0 win played on a partly frozen surface, with the pitch a long way from the fans down one side?

39 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Was the Wolves 4-0 win played on a partly frozen surface, with the pitch a long way from the fans down one side?

Certainly was. The big stand that was miles from the pitch is the only bit of Molyneux that still exists.

I think it was between Xmas and new year. We were on a big old terrace and more than half the ground was condemned. I seem to remember John Gregory scoring a good un. I was about 11  years old so some time ago! 

2 hours ago, Amberram said:

Sheffield United away, 0-1 Mid eighties Phil Gee ( I think) thousands of Derby behind the goal.

I also remember a white pool ball being throw onto the pitch from the home supporters

Great days

See the OP that kicked this thread off with video of Gee's goal

52 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Certainly was. The big stand that was miles from the pitch is the only bit of Molyneux that still exists.

I think it was between Xmas and new year. We were on a big old terrace and more than half the ground was condemned. I seem to remember John Gregory scoring a good un. I was about 11  years old so some time ago! 

It was New Year '85 wasn't it? The coldest I've ever been in my life. Another hour in that I'd have seized up.

I reckon when you scroll through all the threads and posts, this is considered the best away game ever. The occasion, the build up, the reward, the atmosphere and the blummin absolute numbers in an era of low attendances. 10000 away fans in a 19000 attendance was awesome. And for anyone there, it was the absolute best. We were on our way back. And if Frank or anyone gets us on this trajectory again, they too will be revered in 31 years, like Cox, Gee, Callaghan and that amazing band of brothers.

For me, this type of game is the epitome of supporting Derby.  Maybe.... ?

And you’ve got to love GR. The best.

And that kit too..! Brill ?

11 minutes ago, needles said:

It was New Year '85 wasn't it? The coldest I've ever been in my life. Another hour in that I'd have seized up.

BTW - why the Split avatar? Due to Igor and Ace? Or a fan of Croatia? 

I’m a big fan of Croatia and then Igor/Ace made it perfect ??

43 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Erm, you’re the OP, and that’s why people are commenting, that’s how threads work ? 

Yes I know, I think after 20 years on message boards I get how this works. He mentioned the same game that I started things off with and I referred him back to the post  with the video in it.

Sorry if that confused you ?

3 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Yes I know, I think after 20 years on message boards I get how this works. He mentioned the same game that I started things off with and I referred him back to the post  with the video in it.

Sorry if that confused you ?

? 

27 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

BTW - why the Split avatar? Due to Igor and Ace? Or a fan of Croatia? 

I’m a big fan of Croatia and then Igor/Ace made it perfect ??

Just the Igor and Ace link, and their Euro 96 team kind of grabbed me. 

Also, I'm very lazy and never change it.

48 minutes ago, needles said:

Just the Igor and Ace link, and their Euro 96 team kind of grabbed me. 

Also, I'm very lazy and never change it.

Croatia could’ve / should’ve won the World Cup or the Euros. What a team!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z4dl1uVM41Y

i have a Croatia kit and support them as much as England. 

Actually, there used to be a guy with a Croatia top in the C Stand in the late 90s and at most away games. Anyone know who that is?

17 minutes ago, StevenageRam said:

Newport last game of season in old 3rd division. I can't remember the year but must have been late 80s

I went to that game it was the day of the Bradford fire so 1985. There fancied themselves as hard (and probably were) but they weren't used to seeing so many visiting fans. There was a lot of 80's style stuff going on.

I was on the football special and we were bussed from the train station on double deckers. Some of the lads were chucking the seat out of the window at the police motorcycles. This copper rushed up from the bottom deck truncheon out shouting "anymore of that and you'll all be going down the civic"  there was a moment of tension before he added "boyo's" at which point the who top deck howled with laughter at him. He sloped of back down the steps sheepishly.

I've never been to a good away game.

they are all rubbish. 

The fans are all shouting and standing too close and farting, and breathing on me. I don't really like it.

i remember the barnsley one because it was boxing day, and her indoors had done me a sandwich which i was trying to enjoy. Yet all the fans were singing this stupid song about the ground being like a garden shed and knocking into me, and i felt like shoving it in someones ear. 

sheffield wednesday away in 97? That was probably the best. I wasn't with any Derby fans at all.

I was on the receiving end of some low grade corporate hospitality which meant i was sat amongst all the wednesday fans in the main stand. I think i was supposed to sit in dignified silence as wednesday stuffed us, but we played like brazil and wazzed all over them 5-2. The combination of free beer, wanchope, baiano, and all these owls fans caused met to behave in an untypical unrestrained and exuberant manner.

I do remember enoying that one, although there was a brief moment were it looked like it might all kick off.

2 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

This was fun (until extra-time) 

i was at that one. Left when the third went in only to be kept waiting on the train for yonks. It was so crowded i might as well have stuck me face between someones buttocks.

2 hours ago, Shipley Ram said:

I went to that game it was the day of the Bradford fire so 1985. There fancied themselves as hard (and probably were) but they weren't used to seeing so many visiting fans. There was a lot of 80's style stuff going on.

I was on the football special and we were bussed from the train station on double deckers. Some of the lads were chucking the seat out of the window at the police motorcycles. This copper rushed up from the bottom deck truncheon out shouting "anymore of that and you'll all be going down the civic"  there was a moment of tension before he added "boyo's" at which point the who top deck howled with laughter at him. He sloped of back down the steps sheepishly.

Sorry missed your response but you're absolutely right.

That season in 1974/75 when Derby won the old First Division title was really strange. There were about 10 teams still in with a chance of winning the title at Easter, including Burnley who, as previously mentioned, were beaten 5-2 at Turf Moor by the Rams.

Burnley finally slipped to 10th - eight points behind champions Derby - but finished as top goal scorers with 68 to the Rams' 67.

It was still two points for a win then and, under today's rules , Derby would have only finished second on 74 points with third-placed Ipswich the champions on 74 but with a superior goal difference.

Archived