Best ever atmosphere at an away game you attended

Bob The Badger

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure the atmosphere was electric but the Birmingham game where we beat them 4-1 in our promotion year under Smith, I just rememebr walking out of the ground and 100% knowing we were going up...

best atmosphere, non Derby related, England away in Munich 2001. 

Some of the away days during the Div 2 championship season under Brian Clough, when we regularly broke ground attendance records.

Villa Park that season (the Cup of Tea match) was insane - around 20,000 Derby fans there that day.

All of these have been mentioned.

Barnsley boxing Day

Donny Rovers 2014 

Bristol City  2010

West Brom FA Cup 3rd round.

Fulham League Cup 

Brighton away play off Semi 2014

Most of them apart from Bristol all under Steve Mac I think

Too many to mention but.....Southampton away when Steve Howard scored to win 1-0 in our promotion season....Saints battered us in the first half and we gradually turned the screw....SH scored in front of the massive Travelling army with about 10-12 to go we took   7800  I beleive from the original 6500 which was extended ....that is fantastic away support!!!!! COYR

Away at Filbert Street in the mid-eighties in the Milk Cup (League Cup). We had a 2-1 win in the home leg and ended up securing a 1-1 draw away to go through to the next round - quite an achievement for a third division club against a top flight team. I was only a teenager and it was one of my first away games so my memory might be hazy but I am pretty sure we outnumbered the home fans. The singing of "We are Derby, Super Derby, Super Rams" started after about twenty minutes and lasted right through half time and through the second half up to the final whistle. It was loud and absolutely destroyed Fester, clearly lifting the Derby Team. That night after the match was the worst rioting in Leicester's history - nothing to do with Derby fans.

Truly great night

Also.....Luton Town 1 Derby County 2

1st against 2nd and 1-0 down and big Dave Swindlehurst notches 2 in final few minutes in front of the packed Rams end and jumps onto the fence behind the goal to celebrate with Derby Fans !!! 

Loads and Loads of trouble outside and at the Arndale centre but magnificent result against a very good team with Stein, Hatton etc 

7 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

After reading this thread and remembering many an away day in the 80s, what’s happened to our away support numbers? Was it just easier to get to away games in those days with the football specials? Cheaper? No reason to buy a ticket, all pay at the gate. They just squeezed you in.... I remember the chant in the popside before an away game.. “[insert club name], here we come”. Hear nothing of the sort these days. 

Quite, I remember going to Notts County and being given the home end and a few weeks later at Molineux when two of its sides were condemned so all there was was a massive terracing and that bloody awful stand down the long side. The terrace was split between us and the wolves fans and you could hear them going on about how many fans they had there because the seating was full - laughed my arse off when we scored our first of four and the whole of that stand jumped up to celebrate the goal.

16 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Burnley 75 has already been mentioned, the 5-2 win and the superb football was matched by a huge Rams following on a massive open terrace.

Same season, Leicester away, phenomenal amount of Rams fans at Filbert Street.

Coventry away in the Cup 74, If was estimated that 17,000 Derby fans were there out of 40,000, if memory serves it was a Sunday game- unheard of back then. There was a chap with a sandwich board proclaiming for sinners to repent outside the ground while hundreds were fighting all around him.

I’ll have to do this in instalments, haven’t got passed 1975 yet ??

I remember the Coventry game. It was on a Sunday because the 3 day week meant that half of the fans had to work on a Saturday. Also had to kick off early because floodlights couldn't be used. Sunday laws meant that they couldn't charge an entrance fee, so we had to buy the teamsheet for the same cost and the normal programme became a souvenir programme. 

The good old days. 

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Not sure the atmosphere was electric but the Birmingham game where we beat them 4-1 in our promotion year under Smith, I just rememebr walking out of the ground and 100% knowing we were going up...

best atmosphere, non Derby related, England away in Munich 2001. 

England v Portugal in Gelsenkirchen at the World Cup was brilliant, estimated to be 200,000 in the City and 25,000 in the ground. The hairs stood up on my neck as we sang the national anthem. It was a party atmosphere everywhere.

shame about the result ?

Most of the memorable away matches are usually games when Derby have been the outsiders. and have made a comeback in a game. My favourite 5 away matches:

1.   Arsenal v Derby 1989 1-2 - Great Dean Saunders goal and a tremendous display by the whole team, particularly Rob Hindmarch
  2.   Spurs v Derby 1988 1-3 - Fantastic solo run and goal by Ted McMinn, beating a team featuring Gazza, Waddle etc
  3.   Forest v Derby 2009 2-3  Wonderful fighting comeback display, Gary Teale and Kris Commons at their very best 
  4.   QPR v Derby 1989 0-1 Rare Geraint Williams goal in the last minute. a defiant display in a gale conditions
  5.   WBA v Derby 2016  1-2 Fantastic second half performance by the whole team including great strikes from Bent and Ince

5 minutes ago, New Gold Dream said:

Most of the memorable away matches are usually games when Derby have been the outsiders. and have made a comeback in a game. My favourite 5 away matches:

1.   Arsenal v Derby 1989 1-2 - Great Dean Saunders goal and a tremendous display by the whole team, particularly Rob Hindmarch
  2.   Spurs v Derby 1988 1-3 - Fantastic solo run and goal by Ted McMinn, beating a team featuring Gazza, Waddle etc
  3.   Forest v Derby 2009 2-3  Wonderful fighting comeback display, Gary Teale and Kris Commons at their very best 
  4.   QPR v Derby 1989 0-1 Rare Geraint Williams goal in the last minute. a defiant display in a gale conditions
  5.   WBA v Derby 2016  1-2 Fantastic second half performance by the whole team including great strikes from Bent and Ince

I made it to all of those bar the Arsenal one and the forest one was so funny 

57 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Liverpool 4-0 Derby county under Arthur cox - fantastic night fantastic atmosphere Liverpool were superb as well but just a fantastic night 

Was this the game where all the Rams supporters were kept in and taunred a very portly Police Officer with the song "Have you ever seen your dick..." All the other cops were splitting their sides. 

40 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

Was this the game where all the Rams supporters were kept in and taunred a very portly Police Officer with the song "Have you ever seen your dick..." All the other cops were splitting their sides. 

If I remember correctly didn’t John Barnes absolutely murder us that night, or was that another match? That fat Copper ? 

Archived