Best ever atmosphere at an away game you attended

Bob The Badger

2 hours ago, philmycock said:

Blackburn away, play-off semi was just the best, noisy, terrace experience......for half an hour!

That Sheff Utd away match was awesome too, I agree.

Still gutted I didn’t go to Plymouth away.

Yes to Blackburn with that 30-minute proviso.

Plymouth actually wasn't that good. We were hanging on for large periods and even though we took 9,000 that atmosphere wasn't brilliant.

I presume you're referring to the FA Cup quarters, right?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I've been at some amazing games away from home where the atmosphere was rocking.

I can remember going to Sheffield United with @Eatonram for a great day out when Phil Gee scored one of his typical break away goals and the entire 9,000 Rams fans in the Bramall Lane end went mental. I also happened to get punched through the passenger window later on as we queued to get out, but it didn't ruin a great day.

Then again with @Eatonram I was at the game where Frannie scored *that goal*. Henry Newton also scored a blinder that day. 

That was an absolutely fantastic day, but possibly bettered the season before when we went there in the FA Cup as a third division team. Rob Hindmarch (RIP ?) got the winner. I believe there were even more of us there that day.

Arsenal at the old Highbury stadium December 1996, Sturridge with THAT goal ! I was stood right behind the goal that day with my then 14 year old son, what a day that was ! 

My son is now 36 and a devout Villa fan, I went wrong somewhere !!

Burnley 75 has already been mentioned, the 5-2 win and the superb football was matched by a huge Rams following on a massive open terrace.

Same season, Leicester away, phenomenal amount of Rams fans at Filbert Street.

Coventry away in the Cup 74, If was estimated that 17,000 Derby fans were there out of 40,000, if memory serves it was a Sunday game- unheard of back then. There was a chap with a sandwich board proclaiming for sinners to repent outside the ground while hundreds were fighting all around him.

I’ll have to do this in instalments, haven’t got passed 1975 yet ??

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Yes to Blackburn with that 30-minute proviso.

Plymouth actually wasn't that good. We were hanging on for large periods and even though we took 9,000 that atmosphere wasn't brilliant.

I presume you're referring to the FA Cup quarters, right?

Went to Plymouth when we drew 1-1 and Shilton had left us to take over .  Terrible game , driving Atlantic rain  and i'd only had 4 hours sleep .  Not a good day .  I do recall the Plymouth fans booing as they were under the cosh most of the game .  Shiltons quote after the match was a corker ' Derby have a 10 million pound team .  I only had 200,000 to buy a player from Leyton Orient who broke his foot in his first game , I don't know understand them booing a draw '

IstanHull. 

Having faux hope prior to kick off resulted in one almighty piss up. Singing Will Grigg’s on fire but after the second goal altering the lyrics because we were absolutely going to win 4-3. The first half was absolute magic and actually gave the tie meaning again. 

It wasn’t to be but oh well. I still don’t know how I ended up on the pitch scrating my eyes out. 

I went to loads of away games during the George Burley seasons. Think it was because I was around 15 then, and it was easy for me to go with a few mates on the train.

Highlight away games from that season was the 2-0 win at Gillingham on my birthday, being stood up in the temporary stand behind the goal. And the 3-1 win over Rotherham, where everyone was happy and we all knew we would win.

After reading this thread and remembering many an away day in the 80s, what’s happened to our away support numbers? Was it just easier to get to away games in those days with the football specials? Cheaper? No reason to buy a ticket, all pay at the gate. They just squeezed you in.... I remember the chant in the popside before an away game.. “[insert club name], here we come”. Hear nothing of the sort these days. 

12 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

PMSL, we have never taken 20k to Barnsley mate!!!

Not even 10k.

Not even 8K

I do remember flying home for a game the year we got promoted when we maybe took about 5K though.

Pretty sure we had 9k in the Billy promotion year

1 hour ago, HorsforthRam said:

After reading this thread and remembering many an away day in the 80s, what’s happened to our away support numbers? Was it just easier to get to away games in those days with the football specials? Cheaper? No reason to buy a ticket, all pay at the gate. They just squeezed you in.... I remember the chant in the popside before an away game.. “[insert club name], here we come”. Hear nothing of the sort these days. 

I agree in the 80s our away support was much better than now especially in the Arthur Cox years I can remember going to Newport and we had thousands there and I think we finished 10th in the old 3rd division that year.

2 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

I agree in the 80s our away support was much better than now especially in the Arthur Cox years I can remember going to Newport and we had thousands there and I think we finished 10th in the old 3rd division that year.

It was a bit of a perfect storm, we were 10 years passed being champions, visiting loads of new grounds,a feeling that it couldn't get any worse! Those are my favourite days as a fan, 83 - 88, away support was phenomenal. My fading memory of teenage years had probably inflated the numbers a little but it was brilliant.

Archived