World Cup 2026, USA, Canada & Mexico

David

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how the spaces are allocated, but the 2026 WC will be 48 teams I think. I’d imagine the three host countries would qualify if they had to, not necessarily a reason to let them all straight in though.

13 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Will we get it again in my lifetime?

its our game ffs!

We don't want it. The demands FIFA make on the hosting nation are absolutely ridiculous. We'd be left with loads of white elephant stadiums in football backwaters like Plymouth, Milton Keynes, and West Bridgeford. We'd have no money left and FIFA would've changed half of our laws to allow them to shill for their corporate sponsors.

1 minute ago, Anon said:

We don't want it. The demands FIFA make on the hosting nation are absolutely ridiculous. We'd be left with loads of white elephant stadiums in football backwaters like Plymouth, Milton Keynes, and West Bridgeford. We'd have no money left and FIFA would've changed half of our laws to allow them to shill for their corporate sponsors.

There’s already a white elephant stadium in West Bridgford!

Morrocco would have been decent for Europeans, but no doubt Mexico, Canada and the US already have everything in place.

Mexico will only have 3 host stadiums, so no doubt the Azteca (Mexico City), The Akron (Guadalajara) and Monterrey’s new stadium which looks great.

The only issue I can forsee is visas. Crossing boarders is a bit of a pain, especially if Mexico play in the US and many want to travel.

Flights between US cities I’m not sure about either. Domestic flights in Mexico are really cheap, but again flights from Mexico to the US can be problematic.

48 teams!!!???

There are something like 200 recognised countries on the planet. And that includes places like Tuvalu, Nauru, Palau,, Kiribati etc etc which are basically just rocky atolls.

There won't need to be a qualification contest before long - may as well just call it the world league and chuck everyone into it.

5 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

48 teams!!!???

There are something like 200 recognised countries on the planet. And that includes places like Tuvalu, Nauru, Palau,, Kiribati etc etc which are basically just rocky atolls.

There won't need to be a qualification contest before long - may as well just call it the world league and chuck everyone into it.

Standard of teams have got better in last 10/20 years..... only really San Marino And Gibraltar really get spanked now...... you can see whose out of this years to show the strength of some teams now....

22 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

48 teams!!!???

I can understand it. The standard in certain areas means good teams will always miss out.

Teams like Paraguay, Chile, The US, Italy and Holland are established footballing nations missing out then Europe has a bunch like ROI, Wales, Scotland, Austria, Turkey, Romania, Ukraine and Norway which have all featured before while Africans like Ivory Coast, Ghana and Cameroon have history in the competition.

You could easily add another 16 without having to drop the level. Surely those teams above aren’t any worse than Saudi Arabia, Iran or Panama.

And after all that there are still some others like Northern Ireland, New Zealand, Honduras, South Africa and Bulgaria missing out - all of which have featured in either a WC or Euro in the past 20 years.

80 matches 60 USA 10 each for Canada and Mexico.

Flights round USA, especially to host cities will be a doddle, as to flights to Canada, Mexico is not difficult to travel into or out of, just remember common sense and organisation are left on the pavement before you walk onto the airport.

33 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

So this will be the 3rd time Mexico have hosted it since we did.

Seems fair ?

In fairness, Central and South America was supposed to host the 1986 WC and Colombia was originally selected. But after the copped financially, Mexico was the only realistic back-up option from that region with all the infrastructure already in place 3 years before due date.

This time around, Europe and Asia couldn’t host it as they have it in 18 and 22, therefore means Australia can’t host it as they now belong in the Asian sector. Ghana were supposedly an early frontrunner but they pulled out, leaving only two options in Morrocco and US/CA/MX. Morrocco was deemed high risk and after the backlash FIFA receieved from the Qatar bid, it was the only logical choice.

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

Will we get it again in my lifetime?

its our game ffs!

Apparently we're bidding for the 2030 world cup. Alongside Argentina-Uruguayan-Paraguay joint bid. So no we won't get it in our lifetime! ?

Archived