World Cup VAR

Sith Happens

15 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Everything gets checked and they'll make a decision whether to refer it to the ref.

From telegraph 

VAR only intervenes in the course of a match when the officials have made a 'clear and obvious error' in one of four key areas

Goals

A close offside decision is the most common reason for VAR being consulted after a goal has been scored, but shirt-pulling and other infringements can cause goals to be chalked off. 

NB. The concept of 'clear and obvious' errors does not apply to offsides. A player is either onside or offside - you cannot be a little bit pregnant. So even if a player is offside by a matter of inches, the goal will be ruled out.

Penalties

The most subjective and arguably problematic area. Penalties can be awarded or rescinded using VAR if there has been a 'clear and obvious error' in the original decision. 

Straight red cards

Violent conduct and dangerous tackles can be penalised using VAR. Second-yellow cards cannot.  

Mistaken identity 

If the referee sends off the wrong player, such as the famous incident with Kieran Gibbs and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in Arsenal's 6-0 drubbing at Chelsea in 2014, that injustice can be repaired. 

The system is restricted to these areas in order to minimise disruption to the flow of the game. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

VAR is ruining this for me.

It's not the same going into a match wondering when the penalty will be given.

Also, it will mark a slippery slope whereby every decision - no matter how trivial - ends up being decided by it.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44577882

Egypt's football association will make a formal complaint to Fifa about the performance of referee Enrique Caceres during their World Cup loss to Russia.

"The referee should have used VAR to check and award the penalty. They should have also seen that Fathi had been pushed," said Abo Rida.

and so it begins

9 hours ago, Spanish said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44577882

Egypt's football association will make a formal complaint to Fifa about the performance of referee Enrique Caceres during their World Cup loss to Russia.

"The referee should have used VAR to check and award the penalty. They should have also seen that Fathi had been pushed," said Abo Rida.

and so it begins

Exactly. The trouble with VAR is that, as in the above case, you can keep digging deeper with it. How far back do you go? If you award a penalty based on it, what if the team that conceded it should have been awarded a throw in immediately before the incident? And on and on it goes.

It's killing the game. Football is all about pace, excitement, controversy. Stopping the momentum of a game to view var is just plain daft. Refs are going to become lazy knowing they can just "var it".  I really hope it does not become the norm.

Sith Happens
13 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Exactly. The trouble with VAR is that, as in the above case, you can keep digging deeper with it. How far back do you go? If you award a penalty based on it, what if the team that conceded it should have been awarded a throw in immediately before the incident? And on and on it goes.

Exactly,  linesmen told not to flag for marginal offsides, but only checked if there is a goal, what if a goal isnt scored but 30 seconds later one is? How far back do you go?

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Was that inside the box? Looked like he fouled him on the line to me.

1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

VAR a joke. Hazard was outside the box when contact was made.

I thought so but dont think the commentary team did.

If that had been England var would have awarded us a throw in

55 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

VAR a joke. Hazard was outside the box when contact was made.

They got it right, it was inside.....

48 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Thanks. Wasn't sure how that worked, based my knowledge of this entirely on PES 5 giving you free kicks with the ball right on the line.

The rule for lines on the pitch is the outside edge of the lines marks the boundary they represent, the white area of the line is "inside". 

This becomes fairly clear when you remember that "all the ball has to cross all of the line" for it to go out of play or be a goal. 

I suspect that might be the wording of the rules ducking VAR over again. I think the foul was just outside the box, which doesn't make it one of the cases that VAR can involve itself in - unless it was also a red card, and there is a debate for that.

Archived