World Cup VAR

Sith Happens

4 minutes ago, needles said:

It did work perfectly then. But if it only works perfectly some of the time it isn't worth it. I also don't buy that that was impossible to spot by the lino.

It was impossible for the lino to say for sure.

It looked like he referred it. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Yeah was offside,  but if impossible to tell in real time how can it be a clear and obvious error? 

It's a clear and obvious error because he gave it onside, whereas on the replay it very clearly isn't. How is making the completely wrong decision not a clear and obvious error?

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It's a clear and obvious error because he gave it onside, whereas on the replay it very clearly isn't. How is making the completely wrong decision not a clear and obvious error?

Only clear and obvious on slow mo. The var officials should only review if its clear and obvious to them in real time that there may have been an error. My question about kanes incident remains the same, why was this clear but kanes wasn't? 

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Only clear and obvious on slow mo. The var officials should only review if its clear and obvious to them in real time that there may have been an error. My question about kanes incident remains the same, why was this clear but kanes wasn't? 

I think Kane's was clear. I think the officials are just poor. That being said, the decision today was both clear and obvious, and correct in my opinion. 

10 hours ago, Andicis said:

A clear and obvious error is when the the whole stadium can see something the ref hasn’t. It gives him a chance to double check what all the fuss is about. 

The sort of decision that would normally cause mass controversy and referees bakeries to be burned down if allowed to stand.

If it’s so marginal that it takes extreme, frame by frame slo-mo to sort out, then it’s not really controversial if the ref has got it marginally wrong in real time. 

And besides, it’s always funny when a referee’s decision goes against Spain. 

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

clear and obvious error is when the the whole stadium can see something the ref hasn’t.

In your opinion. And if the whole stadium can see it, I'd imagine the linesman/ other officials should be there for those. VAR is for the more contentious and close ones. It can be a clear and obvious mistake when looked at the VAR. 

I think on the whole there has been good, balanced use of VAR. It hasn't interrupted things too much and more decisions are 'right'.

I think it's also got the benefit of reducing some of the player's attempts at 'gamesmanship' as they know they have less chance of conning the ref.

All in all,  a positive step.

Just now, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

The amount of penalties at this World Cup is crazy.

I don't think I've disagreed with any of them.

It's made me think about all the times pundits on MOTD have discussed how something not given by the ref was a clear penalty, and based on that VAR is going to produce a huge amount of penalties. 

The ratio of refs "missing" penalties to games in all the years of league games we've seen, if you think about it, is probably pretty close to the number of VAR awarded penalties in this tournament.

4 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

All those VAR refs agreed that it was deliberate handball?

I know it seems harsh, but its hard not to give it when the arms in an unusual position and the header looked goal bound. 

I don't think the yellow card was necessary, but anyone would feel aggrieved if that happened against them and a pen wasn't given.

There'd probably be a majority in favour of a pen if a raised arm blocked a cross at the same distance, so there's no way a ref wont give it if it looks goalbound. 

17 hours ago, Paul71 said:

This is my gripe with var. I dont like that linesmen have been told not to flag.

An offside by 2 inches is not clear and obvious. Its a slippery slope. 

The next game could see the same thing and var dont bother. If its still down to individual opinions then we may aswell stick with the referee and his assistants.

I dont like var as you will probably gather. 

We have seen penalties given with var that were lesd obvious than kane being fouled so why bother?

All goals are checked by VAR, I assume you were on about the Iran goal?

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, rynny said:

All goals are checked by VAR, I assume you were on about the Iran goal?

Im not sure that's right? Var should only be checked when the var officials think an error has been made.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

I know it seems harsh, but its hard not to give it when the arms in an unusual position and the header looked goal bound. 

I don't think the yellow card was necessary, but anyone would feel aggrieved if that happened against them and a pen wasn't given.

There'd probably be a majority in favour of a pen if a raised arm blocked a cross at the same distance, so there's no way a ref wont give it if it looks goalbound. 

The unusual position doesn't matter. What was the intent of the player? Did he put his arm there in order to deflect the ball? Can anyone say that he did? Apparently the VAR refs did.

Having seen, I presume, exactly what the VAR types saw, I just don't think it's deliberate. I find it hard to believe that there was not a ref in the VAR room that thought the same.  If they are going the route of majority rule, we are heading for some kind of implosion.

First case of VAR correcting mistaken identity in the France/Peru game.

Ref revokes a yellow against one Peru player and shows it to another. 

2 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

VAR is ruining this for me.

It's not the same going into a match wondering when the penalty will be given.

Also, it will mark a slippery slope whereby every decision - no matter how trivial - ends up being decided by it.

I agree... I suspect i'll get used to it, and that they'll get more slick, but I'd rather not bother. 

Without VAR you win some and you lose some, you get heroes and villains. Crouchy pulling that lads dreadlocks against Trinidad and Tobago, or The Hand Of the big fat Argentine junky, or the Portuguese winker or Lampards 'goal' against Germany or the Russian linesman in '66...that breathtaking moment when you know you're a football junky.

With VAR you get the moment of exhilaration snatched from you, the adrenaline buzz drawn out and watered down.

It feels like in 20 years they'll be banging 15 second adverts on during the VAR break while we all sit munching popcorn and texting.

Archived