2nd Oldest Football Club O'Nottsaurus Forest

stoners

8 hours ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Any thoughts on my post Red Dawn. I'm interested in a common sense discussion from a Forest perspective. I get that it's a record signing and exciting but do you have reservations too? 

I think 187 did a far better job explaining our situation than I could! 

We've been spending on the cheap for years, ultimately being in an embargo suited Fawaz. Given the 13m will be spread out over 5 years, I think we'll be fine. Who knows how much more money we'll spend though. 

We've gone from signing Chris O'Grady on loan to tripling our transfer fee.. ? Terrifying/exciting times ahead. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

27 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

I think 187 did a far better job explaining our situation than I could! 

We've been spending on the cheap for years, ultimately being in an embargo suited Fawaz. Given the 13m will be spread out over 5 years, I think we'll be fine. Who knows how much more money we'll spend though. 

We've gone from signing Chris O'Grady on loan to tripling our transfer fee.. ? Terrifying/exciting times ahead. 

Hi Red Dawn!

Good to welcome you on board again!

Enjoy the World Cup anyway!

6 hours ago, Forest187 said:

Money: A lot of our supporters think we are going poo or bust, but in reality we are not. We don't have Fawaz in charge anymore, these new owners (and our CEO in particular) are incredible savvy and know every trick in the book. We recorded a £33m profit in last years accounts, and the wage bill has reduced drastically over the last two years and our revenue is shooting up. We have a lot of money to play with without really being troubled at all, at least for a few years yet. The rumour mill is saying Karanka has a £55m budget this season, but not sure I believe that.

Players: Any player we are spending good money on has good resale value, and the two players in question are on a low wage that you would find in the European leagues, meaning that market is open for a resale which a Vydra, for example, doesn't because foreign clubs simply couldn't match the wages. Worst case scenario, they are absolute flops and we will still recoup the majority of the transfer fee.

As for the quality of the players themselves I am skeptical, no doubt they will have far superior technical ability to anybody we have got, but the age old question of "can they do it at Stoke on a Tuesday night" comes up.

It's obviously a risk, but it's not a big of a risk as people assume it is. The biggest risk comes with buying these players and not putting good players around them, e.g. A striker that can put the ball in the net.

As for the question as to why they aren't at Wolves: Wolves tried to get Goncalves last season but he wanted to try and break into Benfica's first team & Carvalho plays the same position as Neves, and he ain't gonna be as good as him.

Like the post. Have no idea how it is even possible that they posted a £33m profit. Appreciate that Assombalonga brought in a few million but a decent chunk of that went to P'boro. Not doubting it. Just wondering how it was possible. 

15 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Like the post. Have no idea how it is even possible that they posted a £33m profit. Appreciate that Assombalonga brought in a few million but a decent chunk of that went to P'boro. Not doubting it. Just wondering how it was possible. 

I'd imagine most if not all of it was a paper transaction 'exceptional income' involving Fawaz writing off loans as part of the takeover.

6 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I'd imagine most if not all of it was a paper transaction 'exceptional income' involving Fawaz writing off loans as part of the takeover.

But surely the operating loss is still the key figure. Otherwise we'd have no ffp issues because MM could just continually write off loans

29 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

But surely the operating loss is still the key figure. Otherwise we'd have no ffp issues because MM could just continually write off loans

Don't think loan write offs count for FFP.

I was just throwing that out there, as if they've made a £33m profit in the annual accounts then something exceptional must have occurred. Hardly any clubs make a profit at the level, never mind £33m.

7 hours ago, Forest187 said:

Money: A lot of our supporters think we are going poo or bust, but in reality we are not. We don't have Fawaz in charge anymore, these new owners (and our CEO in particular) are incredible savvy and know every trick in the book. We recorded a £33m profit in last years accounts, and the wage bill has reduced drastically over the last two years and our revenue is shooting up. We have a lot of money to play with without really being troubled at all, at least for a few years yet. The rumour mill is saying Karanka has a £55m budget this season, but not sure I believe that.

Players: Any player we are spending good money on has good resale value, and the two players in question are on a low wage that you would find in the European leagues, meaning that market is open for a resale which a Vydra, for example, doesn't because foreign clubs simply couldn't match the wages. Worst case scenario, they are absolute flops and we will still recoup the majority of the transfer fee.

As for the quality of the players themselves I am skeptical, no doubt they will have far superior technical ability to anybody we have got, but the age old question of "can they do it at Stoke on a Tuesday night" comes up.

It's obviously a risk, but it's not a big of a risk as people assume it is. The biggest risk comes with buying these players and not putting good players around them, e.g. A striker that can put the ball in the net.

As for the question as to why they aren't at Wolves: Wolves tried to get Goncalves last season but he wanted to try and break into Benfica's first team & Carvalho plays the same position as Neves, and he ain't gonna be as good as him.

Fake news

@gccrowdpleaser

Just had a 2 min look at their accounts.

The directors report states there was an operating loss of £23m.

As part of the takeover loans of £40.4m were w/off.

£15m profit on disposal of player registrations gave a profit before tax of £32m.

---

As I suspected.

14 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

What are you on about you clown? Been here for years

I know.........that's why I used the word 'again'

Mozza (my brother) and I were saying a few days ago that we hadn't heard from you for a bit.

Nothing about my friendly post to you deserves such an insulting reply.

I am terribly, terribly hurt!

image.jpeg

11 hours ago, steve brummie said:

I know.........that's why I used the word 'again'

Mozza (my brother) and I were saying a few days ago that we hadn't heard from you for a bit.

Nothing about my friendly post to you deserves such an insulting reply.

I am terribly, terribly hurt!

image.jpeg

Pre season is boring mate.. And as much as I wanted to stick the boot in following the Playoffs.. Thought id give you guys some space ? 

2 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

Pre season is boring mate.. And as much as I wanted to stick the boot in following the Playoffs.. Thought id give you guys some space ? 

could have done with a few of our lot wanting to do this on the pitch at Craven Cottage tbf

our effort was one of the most pitiful i can recall seeing in the playoffs. Luckily for us Mel didn't need to pull the trigger this time.

4 hours ago, GadFly said:

Joking and bias aside... Am I the only one mildly concerned by their signings? Could be really good for them. Just being honest... 

Would have been much more concerned had Warburton still been head coach but karaokes style is so negative I think any flair will be massively diluted. 

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Would have been much more concerned had Warburton still been head coach but karaokes style is so negative I think any flair will be massively diluted. 

Yeah that's true. Karanka's style is so dependant on a number 9 capable of pretty much doing it all by themselves... And they don't have one of those. 

Definitely ffp is based on operating losses which is why pre signing these players forest were in the poo. After it has to be a boom or bust because there is no way they can justify it. Their income and attendances just don’t justify it being feasible without promotion.

Huge signings that would excite any fans but they are not neves or jota. Their records aare polar opposites! 

I think forest will be a decent side but cannot see the wolves comparisons coming to fruition. 

Archived