2nd Oldest Football Club O'Nottsaurus Forest

stoners

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

£13m for Carvalho, 5 year contract. Similar price to Neves, will he have the same impact?

Plenty of potential for this to blow up hilariously.

Huge difference being that Neves had played around 60 games for Porto this kid has played 7! 7 for Benfica! He also played around 15 for Vitoria Setebul who finished 5th from bottom of the Portuguese league. 

If we spent £13.2million on someone who's played less than 20 first team games there would be uproar. 

If Wolves hadn't done what they did last year this would be being investigated by football authorities. 

I predict now he'll be loaned back to the Portuguese league in the Jan transfer window. And his mate, Kid Creole will not be far behind him. 

If it was my club I'd be asking questions of the owner. If that owned had the sort of criminal past that theirs does... I'd be drawing my own conclusions and protesting. 

All this nonsense about them playing in the CL. Benfica played 6 and lost 6 in the Champions League. Scoring 1 and conceding 14. Against Basel, CSKA and Man United. 

Apoel Nicosia, Qarabag, Celtic, Anderlecht and Mariborall gained more points... And if we payed £13.2million for a kid with 7 appearances for any one of those teams I'd be apoplectic. 

Biggest signing in the clubs history and no pic of him with the manager... I think that tells you everything you need to know. 

23 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

He's definitely no Neves

Neves was proven quality before he signed for Wolves, they paid 16 million as an exclusively low fee because of their ties with Jorge Mendes, no other club would have got him for less than 25 million. Forest have taken a huge gamble here on an unproven player, whereas Wolves signed proven quality.

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, Redcar said:

Let’s flip this round! Let the gumps think they are gonna win the league (as normal in September).... £13m player, 100 points by xmas.... piissed it.

Tshirts are already being printed 

9 hours ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Huge difference being that Neves had played around 60 games for Porto this kid has played 7! 7 for Benfica! He also played around 15 for Vitoria Setebul who finished 5th from bottom of the Portuguese league. 

If we spent £13.2million on someone who's played less than 20 first team games there would be uproar. 

If Wolves hadn't done what they did last year this would be being investigated by football authorities. 

I predict now he'll be loaned back to the Portuguese league in the Jan transfer window. And his mate, Kid Creole will not be far behind him. 

If it was my club I'd be asking questions of the owner. If that owned had the sort of criminal past that theirs does... I'd be drawing my own conclusions and protesting. 

All this nonsense about them playing in the CL. Benfica played 6 and lost 6 in the Champions League. Scoring 1 and conceding 14. Against Basel, CSKA and Man United. 

Apoel Nicosia, Qarabag, Celtic, Anderlecht and Mariborall gained more points... And if we payed £13.2million for a kid with 7 appearances for any one of those teams I'd be apoplectic. 

Biggest signing in the clubs history and no pic of him with the manager... I think that tells you everything you need to know. 

That was exactly my point.

14 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

That was exactly my point.

Understood. I was just further highlighting why it really is a shot in the dark for them. It really makes very little sense at all. Plus neither player is a Mendes player as far as I am aware. .. He has absolutely every decent young Portuguese player contracted... Except these two. 

Further looking showed me that their Champions League involvement was limited to 90 mins in the final group game after they had already been eliminated for the expensive one. The kid on loan played 69 and 90 mins vs United. By the same token Alefe Santos was in the Yeovil Squad that played United last season. He's got a foreign sounding name... Yeovil should cash in 

17 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Understood. I was just further highlighting why it really is a shot in the dark for them. It really makes very little sense at all. Plus neither player is a Mendes player as far as I am aware. .. He has absolutely every decent young Portuguese player contracted... Except these two. 

Further looking showed me that their Champions League involvement was limited to 90 mins in the final group game after they had already been eliminated for the expensive one. The kid on loan played 69 and 90 mins vs United. By the same token Alefe Santos was in the Yeovil Squad that played United last season. He's got a foreign sounding name... Yeovil should cash in 

Sorry, just realised my reply sounded quite harsh. 

What I meant to say was, that's the point I was making, thanks for making it more eloquently than I. ?

37 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

Very good news. Huge gamble but some very exciting prospects indeed.

Depends on how you look at it I guess, could be a master stroke and they could have the impact Neves had (although in my opinion Neves is light years ahead of these two) 

major question is though, where are you getting that money from? Are you hedging your bets on promotion this year and throwing everything at it ala Villa, us, Wolves etc. 

Great if it works, but if you don’t get promoted your finances are going to be in ****state, they weren’t great to begin with, as a fan doesn’t that worry you?

46 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

Very good news. Huge gamble but some very exciting prospects indeed.

God awful kit. Looks like something made on Pro-Evo, cheap looking. Glad I picked up last seasons nice shirt

Any thoughts on my post Red Dawn. I'm interested in a common sense discussion from a Forest perspective. I get that it's a record signing and exciting but do you have reservations too? 

2 hours ago, Derbados said:

Depends on how you look at it I guess, could be a master stroke and they could have the impact Neves had (although in my opinion Neves is light years ahead of these two) 

major question is though, where are you getting that money from? Are you hedging your bets on promotion this year and throwing everything at it ala Villa, us, Wolves etc. 

Great if it works, but if you don’t get promoted your finances are going to be in ****state, they weren’t great to begin with, as a fan doesn’t that worry you?

Money: A lot of our supporters think we are going poo or bust, but in reality we are not. We don't have Fawaz in charge anymore, these new owners (and our CEO in particular) are incredible savvy and know every trick in the book. We recorded a £33m profit in last years accounts, and the wage bill has reduced drastically over the last two years and our revenue is shooting up. We have a lot of money to play with without really being troubled at all, at least for a few years yet. The rumour mill is saying Karanka has a £55m budget this season, but not sure I believe that.

Players: Any player we are spending good money on has good resale value, and the two players in question are on a low wage that you would find in the European leagues, meaning that market is open for a resale which a Vydra, for example, doesn't because foreign clubs simply couldn't match the wages. Worst case scenario, they are absolute flops and we will still recoup the majority of the transfer fee.

As for the quality of the players themselves I am skeptical, no doubt they will have far superior technical ability to anybody we have got, but the age old question of "can they do it at Stoke on a Tuesday night" comes up.

It's obviously a risk, but it's not a big of a risk as people assume it is. The biggest risk comes with buying these players and not putting good players around them, e.g. A striker that can put the ball in the net.

As for the question as to why they aren't at Wolves: Wolves tried to get Goncalves last season but he wanted to try and break into Benfica's first team & Carvalho plays the same position as Neves, and he ain't gonna be as good as him.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, Forest187 said:

Money: A lot of our supporters think we are going poo or bust, but in reality we are not. We don't have Fawaz in charge anymore, these new owners (and our CEO in particular) are incredible savvy and know every trick in the book. We recorded a £33m profit in last years accounts, and the wage bill has reduced drastically over the last two years and our revenue is from shooting up. We have a lot of money to play with without really being troubled at all, at least for a few years yet. The rumour mill is saying Karanka has a £55m budget this season, but not sure I believe that.

Players: Any player we are spending good money on has good resale value, and the two players in question are on a low wage that you would find in the European leagues, meaning that market is open for a resale which a Vydra, for example, doesn't because foreign clubs simply couldn't match the wages. Worst case scenario, they are absolute flops and we will still recoup the majority of the transfer fee.

As for the quality of the players themselves I am skeptical, no doubt they will have far superior technical ability to anybody we have got, but the age old question of "can they do it at Stoke on a Tuesday night" comes up.

It's obviously a risk, but it's not a big of a risk as people assume it is. The biggest risk comes with buying these players and not putting good players around them, e.g. A striker that can put the ball in the net.

As for the question as to why they aren't at Wolves: Wolves tried to get Goncalves last season but he wanted to try and break into Benfica's first team & Carvalho plays the same position as Neves, and he ain't gonna be as good as him.

Ftfy

2 hours ago, Forest187 said:

Money: A lot of our supporters think we are going poo or bust, but in reality we are not. We don't have Fawaz in charge anymore, these new owners (and our CEO in particular) are incredible savvy and know every trick in the book. We recorded a £33m profit in last years accounts, and the wage bill has reduced drastically over the last two years and our revenue is shooting up. We have a lot of money to play with without really being troubled at all, at least for a few years yet. The rumour mill is saying Karanka has a £55m budget this season, but not sure I believe that.

Very good first post. Good insights.

welcome?

Archived