2nd Oldest Football Club O'Nottsaurus Forest

stoners

I remember (years ago) Wolves building a new stand outside of the existing one (I think there was even a road between the two?).  On completion, they simply then knocked down the existing stand, making the stadium much wider.

I'm thinking this would be an excellent idea for the Tr*nt E*d?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, stoners said:

id be embarrassed by that.

Your actually proving my point. Youve been Constantly in the play offs and cant get yourself above 90%. Try being mid table at best and in relegation battles. id say youd struggle to get to 50% full. Suppose we'll be able to test that theory when FFP kick in next year for your lot

Laughable, if FFPs coming for anyone, it’s your lot, you’ve gone spunk or bust and I’ll guarantee you now you’re not getting promoted this season, neither are we but we haven’t spunked £50 odd million.

The only team that’s fallen foul of FFP in the past is Forest, fact 

the attendances logic is hilarious, have you actually ever looked at a map of Nottingham and Derby and compared the two? We’re a town with a city status, you should absolutely have higher attendances than us every season but you haven’t, this is the first time in god knows how long and you all bark on about how it’s some sort of achievement ?

i remember the last time the gumps got all holier then thou,  right around the time Fawaz was the saviour of Nottingham and King Billeh came back so you could “come for us” 

gusrantee you that laughing chimp will be coming out again within the next six months 

8 hours ago, stoners said:

id be embarrassed by that.

Your actually proving my point. Youve been Constantly in the play offs and cant get yourself above 90%. Try being mid table at best and in relegation battles. id say youd struggle to get to 50% full. Suppose we'll be able to test that theory when FFP kick in next year for your lot

Have you lot won a game again? Getting a bit lary. 

In Brian Cloughs autobiography he mentions how embarrassing it was to have empty seats around the stadium for Forests European games .  At Derby they were banging down the door for tickets .  Derby is a football town, Nottingham never will be .  His words not ours .  Believe his son Nigel also mentioned this recently, when Forest were a decent team in the 80's there support was cack .

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

In Brian Cloughs autobiography he mentions how embarrassing it was to have empty seats around the stadium for Forests European games .  At Derby they were banging down the door for tickets .  Derby is a football town, Nottingham never will be .  His words not ours .  Believe his son Nigel also mentioned this recently, when Forest were a decent team in the 80's there support was cack .

There was probably a very good reason I try to stay away from any Derby/Forest banter. I should keep my big gob shut but as a "neutral" I find the to-ing and fro-ing fascinating.

I want to make two points but I'm worried about the backlash both sides of the fence. One good, one bad for either club.

The bolded bit above. It drove him nuts, even in the late 80's. I remember "we'd" stuck six past Villa and Norwich and maybe even seven past Chelsea then Liverpool rock up at the City Ground and there's only 21,000 in the ground at ten to three. There was an electronic clicker on the turnstiles that fed the numbers through real time to a TV in  Ken Smales/ Paul White's office. He said fairly regularly what does he have to do to sell the place out. So in terms of fans, I think there is a solid argument that Derby is indeed more of a football town than Nottingham.

As for on the pitch though, I struggle to see how you lot give Forest so much stick when if you look it in pure black and white, their on the pitch achievements eclipse anything the Rams have done, apart from the last decade or so. Certainly since Mac 1 landed on his feet with a squad built for him, Derby have edged it and looked the more likely of the two "ready" to go up again.

Before that? Cups, leagues, European trophies, wembley visits, league finishing positions, time spent in the top division consecutively. Forest come out on top. Certainly since I've been alive.

Recent history? Both clubs have chucked boat loads of cash at too many managers, through various owners and various dodgy CEO's so I don't see how either set of fans tries to paint the other club as the villain. other than for pure banter (hatred as well!!)

Now the fact that neither club has achieved sod all in the grand scheme of things since Brian was no longer in charge brings little satisfaction but it does go to show how spoiled both sets of fans were during his reign

The stadium plans look very good but let's be honest, their owner doesn't exactly inspire confidence and long term trust so it could just as easily go tits up. Then you lot would have something to really chuckle about.

As for today though, this is probably the closest you've both been to being the same as the other for ages. I couldn't split you in terms of current quality or potential as both clubs could go either way.

My get out of jail free card is I'm allowed to want both of you to do well. Annoying, I know!!

12 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

There was probably a very good reason I try to stay away from any Derby/Forest banter. I should keep my big gob shut but as a "neutral" I find the to-ing and fro-ing fascinating.

I want to make two points but I'm worried about the backlash both sides of the fence. One good, one bad for either club.

The bolded bit above. It drove him nuts, even in the late 80's. I remember "we'd" stuck six past Villa and Norwich and maybe even seven past Chelsea then Liverpool rock up at the City Ground and there's only 21,000 in the ground at ten to three. There was an electronic clicker on the turnstiles that fed the numbers through real time to a TV in  Ken Smales/ Paul White's office. He said fairly regularly what does he have to do to sell the place out. So in terms of fans, I think there is a solid argument that Derby is indeed more of a football town than Nottingham.

As for on the pitch though, I struggle to see how you lot give Forest so much stick when if you look it in pure black and white, their on the pitch achievements eclipse anything the Rams have done, apart from the last decade or so. Certainly since Mac 1 landed on his feet with a squad built for him, Derby have edged it and looked the more likely of the two "ready" to go up again.

Before that? Cups, leagues, European trophies, wembley visits, league finishing positions, time spent in the top division consecutively. Forest come out on top. Certainly since I've been alive.

Recent history? Both clubs have chucked boat loads of cash at too many managers, through various owners and various dodgy CEO's so I don't see how either set of fans tries to paint the other club as the villain. other than for pure banter (hatred as well!!)

Now the fact that neither club has achieved sod all in the grand scheme of things since Brian was no longer in charge brings little satisfaction but it does go to show how spoiled both sets of fans were during his reign

The stadium plans look very good but let's be honest, their owner doesn't exactly inspire confidence and long term trust so it could just as easily go tits up. Then you lot would have something to really chuckle about.

As for today though, this is probably the closest you've both been to being the same as the other for ages. I couldn't split you in terms of current quality or potential as both clubs could go either way.

My get out of jail free card is I'm allowed to want both of you to do well. Annoying, I know!!

This actually brings up a point I’ve been considering since having a chat with a Gump recently. He’s my OC, so I had to be as diplomatic as possible. 

I realised that, for all the arguing about how big each club is, and how much we’ve both achieved, can either of the ‘clubs’ actually lay claim to those achievements. It could be argued they were Clough’s achievements, not the clubs’. If Cliugh has stuck around the North East, it could just as easily been Middlesborough and Sunderland arguing over which is the most successful, with trophy cabinets ful, but gathering dust. 

Yes, McKay won the league post-Clough, but that was still really in the Clough afterglow, and probably wouldn’t have happened without Clough. I don’t know what, if any, post clough achievements forest had. 

But then it got my wondering, if you go down that road, how do you esperaste a club’s achievements from the achievements of an individual manager or owner. Well I’d say if the manager succeeds consistently across multiple clubs, for whom that manager’s reign represents and obvious high point in an otherwise fairly mediocre existence, then that’s the manager’s achievement. If the club has succeeded consistently under several manager’s, then the club can claim to be successful in its own right. 

So Leicester might be an example of a manager’s achievement, rather than the clubs. Or Blackpool’s one season in the premier league, or even burtons two seasons in the championship. All obvious high points in their existence. 

Based on that, the banter’s all a bit disingenuous. We’re both where we should be, and we don’t really have any right to expect more, just because once upon a time a genius had us both on top of the world. 

When Lampard took over, a gump at work said very confidently that "your manager is bigger than your club" and my response echoes a lot what you have said above @TigerTedd, in that the success is directly attributed to Clough and he was the man with the achievements and credentials -- to me he was bigger than both clubs. Before Cough Forest were nothing and they've been nothing since. 

The fact none of them like hearing is that on 20th January 1991, while watching Derby play Spurs at home at the Baseball Ground Clough admitted that the "happiest days of his managerial career were here (at the BG)". That really must have stung for them lot given he was still their manager at the time! 

The clip is on YouTube.

Derby (minus Clough)

League

• Division 1 Champions - 1x
  • Division 1 Runners-up - 3x
  • Division 2 Champions - 3x
  • Division 2 Runners-up - 1x
  • Division 3 Champions - 1x

Cup

• FA Cup Winners - 1x
  • Charity Shield Winners- 1x

Notts Forest (minus Clough)

League

• Division 1 Runners-up - 1x
  • Division 2 Runners-up - 2x
  • Division 3 Runners-up- 1x

Cups

• FA Cup Winners - 2x
  • Charity Shield Runners-up - 1x

Top Flight Stats

Derby

• Games Played - 2468
  • Points (3 for a win) - 3303

Notts Forest

• Games Played - 2178
  • Points (3 for a win) - 2949

17 hours ago, Derbados said:

Laughable, if FFPs coming for anyone, it’s your lot, you’ve gone spunk or bust and I’ll guarantee you now you’re not getting promoted this season, neither are we but we haven’t spunked £50 odd million.

The only team that’s fallen foul of FFP in the past is Forest, fact 

the attendances logic is hilarious, have you actually ever looked at a map of Nottingham and Derby and compared the two? We’re a town with a city status, you should absolutely have higher attendances than us every season but you haven’t, this is the first time in god knows how long and you all bark on about how it’s some sort of achievement ?

i remember the last time the gumps got all holier then thou,  right around the time Fawaz was the saviour of Nottingham and King Billeh came back so you could “come for us” 

gusrantee you that laughing chimp will be coming out again within the next six months 

ever heard of Notts county? they are a few 100 yards away and average 7k every week

When did we spend 50M

I see mad mel has put an hold onto your extension. Ran out of money I heard

16 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Will there still be provision for home spectators to piss and throw coins on visiting supporters?

I saw bottles being thrown. lets hope that the police and cctv sort them out. No place for it

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

This actually brings up a point I’ve been considering since having a chat with a Gump recently. He’s my OC, so I had to be as diplomatic as possible. 

I realised that, for all the arguing about how big each club is, and how much we’ve both achieved, can either of the ‘clubs’ actually lay claim to those achievements. It could be argued they were Clough’s achievements, not the clubs’. If Cliugh has stuck around the North East, it could just as easily been Middlesborough and Sunderland arguing over which is the most successful, with trophy cabinets ful, but gathering dust. 

Yes, McKay won the league post-Clough, but that was still really in the Clough afterglow, and probably wouldn’t have happened without Clough. I don’t know what, if any, post clough achievements forest had. 

But then it got my wondering, if you go down that road, how do you esperaste a club’s achievements from the achievements of an individual manager or owner. Well I’d say if the manager succeeds consistently across multiple clubs, for whom that manager’s reign represents and obvious high point in an otherwise fairly mediocre existence, then that’s the manager’s achievement. If the club has succeeded consistently under several manager’s, then the club can claim to be successful in its own right. 

So Leicester might be an example of a manager’s achievement, rather than the clubs. Or Blackpool’s one season in the premier league, or even burtons two seasons in the championship. All obvious high points in their existence. 

Based on that, the banter’s all a bit disingenuous. We’re both where we should be, and we don’t really have any right to expect more, just because once upon a time a genius had us both on top of the world. 

also know as 'if my nan had balls' syndrome

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Derby (minus Clough)

League

• Division 1 Champions - 1x
  • Division 1 Runners-up - 3x
  • Division 2 Runners-up - 1x

Cup

• FA Cup Winners - 1x
  • Charity Shield Winners- 1x

Notts Forest (minus Clough)

League

• Division 1 Runners-up - 1x
  • Division 2 Runners-up - 2x
  • Division 3 Runners-up- 1x

Cups

• FA Cup Winners - 2x
  • Charity Shield Runners-up - 1x

Top Flight Stats

Derby

• Games Played - 2468
  • Points (3 for a win) - 3303

Notts Forest

• Games Played - 2178
  • Points (3 for a win) - 2949

also known as 'clutching at straws' syndrome :):):):) wow

1 hour ago, stoners said:

ever heard of Notts county? they are a few 100 yards away and average 7k every week

When did we spend 50M

I see mad mel has put an hold onto your extension. Ran out of money I heard

Nottingham population: 306000 est

Derby population: 254374 est

That’s an estimated additional 51,653, let’s take away Notts county’s 7k a week attendances then :

That still leaves you with 44653 more people to attend your games, again, your attendance rhetoric is hilarious. 

Mel has no intention of building the extension to the ground whilst we are in the championship, it was for if we get promoted, always was. I’m glad he’s frugal and sensible so we don’t leave ourselves financially screwed. 

Cant say the same for your lot, you’ve already breached ffp once, the way you’re heading you’ll do it again, you don’t learn 

enjoy your week in the sun, it’s going to come crashing down, I guarantee it 

ill save this post and remind you of it when it does ?

Archived