2nd Oldest Football Club O'Nottsaurus Forest

stoners

3 hours ago, Will the Ram said:

My point was that red dogs like laugh at us for it but they were in the third division, so even when we’re rubbish we’re still better than them.

the first European Cup winners to be relegated to their country’s third division too.

First back to back winners actually Ralph.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roy Keane started today then (according to John Percy), wonder if he'll stop Mike Bassett Martin O'Neill playing prehistoric football. There was dissension before a ball was kicked on Saturday, and chanting for players on the bench before 20 minutes... it's working so well so far.

7 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Only team to win it more times than they’ve won their own domestic league? And this was back in the days before it was the (More also-rans than) Champions League...

Given I have never worked with or (obviously) been friends with a Forest fan I haven't ever really experienced the rivalry beyond the gates of the ground. For that reason, and the reason we missed each other in the leagues for a lot of my time growing up, I simply don't have the passion of 'hatred' towards them. 

Indeed, when it comes to Europe I know I might get a ban, and some snarly emojis for saying this, I doff my cap to them. Mainly because it was all of Clough & Taylor's making (plus a spine of our old players) but imho you can't but admire a small club like Forest winning the European Cup twice.

My only challenge on the point above is that the tournament actually only had five rounds to get to the final. OK - it was over two legs in all but the final but in 1980 they got to the semi final by beating Oster, Arges Pijesti and Dinamo Berlin. As discussed on the other thread, it's the joy of cup football, I don't take it away from them but it was so much easier for a small team to win back in the days.

18 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Mainly because it was all of Clough & Taylor's making (plus a spine of our old players)

Forrest fans at work have been saying for a while to me... "your manager (Lampard) is bigger than your club" but they forget that before Clough Forrest were nothing and hadn't really achieved anything and after Clough they've gone back to being more or less just a mid-table East Midland club.

Caught a bit of Dancing on Ice last night and realised that Torvill and Dean are very similar to Forest. Not done anything in about 40 years and are still banging on about it like it matters living off past glory.

5 minutes ago, sawley_ram said:

Forrest fans at work have been saying for a while to me... "your manager (Lampard) is bigger than your club" but they forget that before Clough Forrest were nothing and hadn't really achieved anything and after Clough they've gone back to being more or less just a mid-table East Midland club.

He is, he is also 'bigger' than both clubs put together.  So what, he choose to come to Derby, he could have gone to Chelsea and worked as a coach, for probably more money and less pressure.  Remind him that they went bust in the 80's (twice) and drove the best manager ever, out of the game.

I don’t think anyone can realistically take anything away from Clough’s achievements with Forest. To have done what he did, with a provincial club, is remarkable, still. Even more remarkable really given what he did for us before even that. League titles, European Cups....he nearly won it all. I would imagine that fans on either side would agree that this makes Clough one of the greatest Managers that the game’s ever seen. 

In terms of feelings of hatred, no, that is reserved for, and only for, Leeds. If the ground opened up and swallowed that club whole tomorrow then I’d shed no tears. With the greatest respect, f00k them.

I don't have any hatred for Forest. In fact I would like to see both teams in the Prem just with us doing better than them. I like the rivalry, but it doesnt go as far as hatred.

I also wish the football league would stop letting lunatics buy them. Cant believe theyve gone down the nostalgia route again with MON and Keane - suspect it will go the same way it did when Fawaz tried it.

2 hours ago, sawley_ram said:

As a player, yes, but as a manager no. You can do what Forest have done for years - hire someone that they think is a safe and guaranteed option (Warburton, Karanka, O'Neill) or they can go with an untried 'gamble', which is what Lampard was to us. How many other Championship clubs have given a manager their first job (especially one with no previous association to the club)? It was a big gamble on our behalf, not his feeling a bit sorry for us.

I was lucky enough to see an interview Keane did after someone put it in their Instagram story. 

This is actually the sentence that came out of his mouth: 'I've seen Forest one or two times over the past year - it's going to be tough. Maybe with one or two signings and a bit of luck, we will be able to compete.' 

It's the dream first interview. 

Archived