stoners

O'Notts Forest

12 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

I think that was a one off performance.

Extremely exciting, but equally terrifying. That being said, seems spending is the best way out of this league judging by the top 6 in the past couple of seasons?

Cardiff didn't spend loads, Brighton and Huddersfield didn't 

5 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

hope they can . Over 13 million for a striker  who plays for Benfica reserves 16 goals in 86 games . 7 first team games in 4 years .  Turned down by Wolves last year at a much cheaper price .  ffp its coming for you is the mantra they rollout every day .  Time for them to look in the mirror methinks .

Here we go again. Man city Midlands part two

Forest always seem to have a knack of going ‘oh, look how that worked for that other team, maybe if we try that, we’ll finally be promoted.’

but they always seem to miss the point entirely. 

- Watford kept sacking their managers, and got promoted, let’s try that. (Missed the point that Watford had good managers)

- Watford got bought by the owner of Udinese and got promoted using their players. (So they got bought by the owner of Olympiakos and expected the same to happen).

- QPR spent loads of money, smashed ffp and got promoted. Let’s try that. (But they spent money on crap players, didn’t get promoted, and ended up with an embargo).

- Man City got bought by an Arab, and won the premier league. Let’s try that. (But Forest though Kuwait and fridges, were the same as Abu Dhabi and oil).

-Derby got Billy Davies and got promoted. Let’s try that, twice. (But forest failed to realise billy is a cnut who got a bit lucky with us).

- Huddersfield got an exotic foreign manager and got promoted. (Huddersfield got Wagner, they got a bloke from the French second division that lasted about 3 weeks).

- Wolves bought / loaned expensive Portuguese wiz kids, we’ll try that now (wolves had a super agent working on their behalf getting the very best players, forest don’t).

It worked out so well the last time they signed Pele II - can't even remember his name now he was so successful.....

Perhaps this one will be the new Eusebio.....

1 hour ago, StaffsRam said:

It worked out so well the last time they signed Pele II - can't even remember his name now he was so successful.....

Was that Findlay or something like that? All I remember from him is the miss from 2 yards out. 

Just now, rynny said:

Was that Findlay or something like that? All I remember from him is the miss from 2 yards out. 

Yes I think that was him - I just remember his blazing goalscoring record.....

1 hour ago, StaffsRam said:

There’s another example. 

I hear some team did quite well with a chap called Pele. So we’ll get one too, and success is sure to follow. 

Theg keep trying to get some guy called Clough to manage them too. When that failed they signed a player called Zac Clough. 

They just can’t help them selves, not so much standing on the shoulders of giants, but walking in their shadows. 

5 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Cardiff didn't spend loads, Brighton and Huddersfield didn't 

Conversely this years top 6, Wolves, Fulham, Aston Villa, MBoro and Derby all spent big. 

It does seem you can have two approaches to getting out of the league. Spend big and gamble, or hope you have a one off season where everything just comes together, usually with the right managerial appointment. 

I doubt the sign on fee for the two Wunderkind will be anywhere near what is being reported, but it is a huge gamble, I'll acknowledge that (if they do indeed sign on, still sceptical).

1 hour ago, Red_Dawn said:

Conversely this years top 6, Wolves, Fulham, Aston Villa, MBoro and Derby all spent big. 

It does seem you can have two approaches to getting out of the league. Spend big and gamble, or hope you have a one off season where everything just comes together, usually with the right managerial appointment. 

I doubt the sign on fee for the two Wunderkind will be anywhere near what is being reported, but it is a huge gamble, I'll acknowledge that (if they do indeed sign on, still sceptical).

I wasn’t aware that we spent big! But that said if the red dogs get in thier young Portuguese kids it will add a bit of excitement for them but for the money being currently mentioned a huge gamble never the less

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I wasn’t aware that we spent big! But that said if the red dogs get in thier young Portuguese kids it will add a bit of excitement for them but for the money being currently mentioned a huge gamble never the less

Me neither but if a red dog says it, it must be true

1 hour ago, Red_Dawn said:

We haven't had a positive net spend for over 2 years. Spending big didn't get you promoted.

16 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

We haven't had a positive net spend for over 2 years. Spending big didn't get you promoted.

I'm talking about the last few seasons in general. You spunked a fair bit on the likes of Ince, Butterfield, Johnson, Vydra, Lawrence etc.. Alot of high earners in wages too

6 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

I'm talking about the last few seasons in general. You spunked a fair bit on the likes of Ince, Butterfield, Johnson, Vydra, Lawrence etc.. Alot of high earners in wages too

Yep that's our problem at the minute. As far as I'm aware, we aren't in a position where we absolutely must sell people like Vydra to bring in transfer fees, it's the wages that's our problem. This season we'll hopefully get rid of a few of the higher earners who aren't pulling their weight, if we manage to find teams willing to pay and then sign younger players (+ Terry) and make use of the academy. I think most realistic Derby fans would be contempt with just finishing mid table this season as long as it's clear to see the direction Lampard wants to take us. Then next season about half the squad are out of contract so we can properly start fresh then

It's funny though, most of the league look at us as serial bottlers (they may have a point) who have tried to buy our way out of the league and have failed. When in reality, we're probably outside of the top 6 teams in terms of net spend and wages for the past 2 seasons. And even for the £30 million spend season a big chunk of that money was to replace Hughes and Bryson who picked up nasty injuries on the opening day