Outs before Ins

JHB

I am new on here and read with interest the level of excitement that employing Frank Lampard has generated. I too feel that next season could be a step in the right direction even if we don't get promotion.

However, I consider there has to be a considerable amount of departures in both players that have continuously failed and back room staff. The list could be quite lengthy, whether under contract or not, and I would be interested to ascertain if anyone else is of the same view. Whether we get any money for anyone other than Vydra remains to be seen

But can anyone realistically see many of the existing crop actually getting us anywhere near automatic promotion. Not wishing to be negative but surely many have to go and be replaced with eager, young, ambitious, energetic, loyal, devoted options.

Cheers

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, JHB said:

But can anyone realistically see many of the existing crop actually getting us anywhere near automatic promotion...

Well why not? This lot and others have been near enough. Even Jody Morris has said that. 

Where it all started to go horribly wrong was when the squad was hacked at rather than tweaked.

The way I see it is that we are not going to spend much this summer, or possibly even bring more than 1/2 in. The 2 questions you need to answer are 1) are the players we have here good enough? and 2) are they motivated enough?

If I look at this squad, 1) is a fairly easy yes for me. These players have all proven in their careers they can play at a high level, particularly in the Championship.

Question 2) is harder. I’d like to think that all of our players have an affinity with the Rams now and want to take us up to the Prem. But that feels a slightly rose-tinted view. If we kept our squad as it is, I would still be interested to see what Frank and team can do with them all (especially the returning loanees) in a different formation and style of play.

To answer the OP question - yes, there would have to be some outgoing to see incoming, and probably before we buy.

I reckon you can achieve quite a bit more with the players we have with the right motivation. Both Jody and Frank I think can bring a great deal of credibility in their respective fields of coaching and ex-player.  If they can inspire, cajole and squeeze out a few more percent from each player then they could easily achieve much more with this squad.

Enough of us thought the players looked confused and almost fettered by Rowetts tactics at times last year. With the right mix of carrot, cuddle and stick it'll be interesting to see what they can achieve!

55 minutes ago, JHB said:

I am new on here and read with interest the level of excitement that employing Frank Lampard has generated. I too feel that next season could be a step in the right direction even if we don't get promotion.

However, I consider there has to be a considerable amount of departures in both players that have continuously failed and back room staff. The list could be quite lengthy, whether under contract or not, and I would be interested to ascertain if anyone else is of the same view. Whether we get any money for anyone other than Vydra remains to be seen

But can anyone realistically see many of the existing crop actually getting us anywhere near automatic promotion. Not wishing to be negative but surely many have to go and be replaced with eager, young, ambitious, energetic, loyal, devoted options.

Cheers

I'm not interested in reality. I'm currently inhabiting a weird alternate reality where our manager is one of the most renowned players of the last 20 years who can take the club by the scruff of the next and inspire everyone to success.

15 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I reckon you can achieve quite a bit more with the players we have with the right motivation. Both Jody and Frank I think can bring a great deal of credibility in their respective fields of coaching and ex-player.  If they can inspire, cajole and squeeze out a few more percent from each player then they could easily achieve much more with this squad.

Enough of us thought the players looked confused and almost fettered by Rowetts tactics at times last year. With the right mix of carrot, cuddle and stick it'll be interesting to see what they can achieve!

Unfortunately I disagree. This group of players wouldn't make top 6. Need to get a few in and a lot out and perhaps we could compete.   

1 hour ago, JHB said:

Cheers

Welcome on board mate.

No,we’re not far off,just need some legs in the middle and a fresh approach.

High energy midfielder,fully fit George Thorne,runners onto Wardrobes flicks?.

Just give Frankie boy back what he generates,we’ll be fine.

I agree a few will be surplus but,we’ve got enough with some titivation.

This current squad was comfortably the worst of the top 6 this season and not far ahead 7th-11th. Pre-Snake they weren’t even good enough for top 6. Absolutely no way could they compete for top 2, they would struggle to make top 6 again. 

Furthermore, they can’t play the fast aggressive attacking football we want to see and that Frank wants to play. Too many players at the wrong point in their careers who were overrated in the first place, with no energy or pace.

Only way this will change within the current squad is if Lowe Guy Elsnik Thomas and Bogle (or at least 2 or 3 of them) announce themselves to be stars at this level next season.

Change is needed, it will take time. Snake is not the cause of all our woes as some people believe, it has taken 3 seasons to get to this point. 

5 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

But this group of players did make top 6!

I know.. but under rowett and a year younger. As each season goes by these older guys start to falter out.

If it wasn't for the purple patch in the first half of last season we would have missed out. 

30 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Don't think motivation is the issue - more a case of direction. We have a good squad which probably requires 3 or 4 younger additions to increase the energy and intensity levels (couple of loans and 1 or 2 shrewd buys) and with a more positive approach to matches which certainly wasn't the case for most of last season then i can see a totally different, refreshing outcome - we may not get promoted next season, might not even make the playoffs but the foundations can be laid to take us forward into the Premier League with every hope of sustainability.

2 hours ago, Simsy said:

Unfortunately I disagree. This group of players wouldn't make top 6. Need to get a few in and a lot out and perhaps we could compete.   

While I agree 2 or 3 new faces wouldn’t go amiss in the right positions, I can’t help thinking if the Prince of Blandness could get this group into the top 6, a new broom, as it were,  with enthusiasm, positivity and the courage to try and win games as opposed to not losing them has got to fancy his chances of a repeat, not to put any pressure on them (Frank & Jody).

I mean, they’ve got to have watched some our performances from last season and been horrified at was served up or at the very least shaking their heads at the abject lack of attacking intent. 

I reckon they’ll do alright. 

10 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

While I agree 2 or 3 new faces wouldn’t go amiss in the right positions, I can’t help thinking if the Prince of Blandness could get this group into the top 6, a new broom, as it were,  with enthusiasm, positivity and the courage to try and win games as opposed to not losing them has got to fancy his chances of a repeat, not to put any pressure on them (Frank & Jody).

I mean, they’ve got to have watched some our performances from last season and been horrified at was served up or at the very least shaking their heads at the abject lack of attacking intent. 

I reckon they’ll do alright. 

you put it so much more eloquently than I!!!

Well done sir.

14 hours ago, Simsy said:

Outrageous comment when you bear in mind we did make the top six, and that was with 2 wins for one quarter of the season too. 

I agree that we need to engineer some movement in the squad, but it’s not a bad squad as shown with three top six finishes in five years. We haven’t done what the likes of Wednesday and Reading (in particular) have done and finished in the playoffs to fall down the league the year later. 

15 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well why not? This lot and others have been near enough. Even Jody Morris has said that. 

Where it all started to go horribly wrong was when the squad was hacked at rather than tweaked.

You're right Roy but in many ways I really do blame circumstance at least as much as anything else.

Shackle (money apart) did a workman like job and we needed a step up in terms of finesse on Sir Jake - Pearce has also done a solid job both playing and covering. 

Then add in Brysons and Hughes - injured critically in the same match, which brought us Bradders and Butterfield as panic buys which meant Rowett ended up having to patch things up with Tom Huddlestone and Butters

Blackman ? .. yes .. wrong guy at the wrong time and seemingly for daft money 

Then the need for money meant Ince / Hendrick / Hughes gone with just Lawrence coming in.  The aging firepower in Nugent and Jerome ? needed because the earlier midfielder departures and injuries tilted the ship away from Martins natural style )

Looking at it after the event it has been a mess; but for each action there has been some rational logic behind it. .. its just when you stick it all together it looks like an attack by a gorilla with a blunt machette 

17 hours ago, JHB said:

Cheers

good post mate for a first one,i think a lot on here would agree with the sentiment especially the backroom staff clearout defo required in my opinion anyway

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Outrageous comment when you bear in mind we did make the top six, and that was with 2 wins for one quarter of the season too. 

I agree that we need to engineer some movement in the squad, but it’s not a bad squad as shown with three top six finishes in five years. We haven’t done what the likes of Wednesday and Reading (in particular) have done and finished in the playoffs to fall down the league the year later. 

Outrageous? You do realise this squad is older than it was last year. Everyone at some stage starts going downhill. Coincidence we struggled second half of the season?

Lampards style won't be like rowetts either. 

2 hours ago, Simsy said:

Outrageous? You do realise this squad is older than it was last year. Everyone at some stage starts going downhill. Coincidence we struggled second half of the season?

Lampards style won't be like rowetts either. 

I'll be honest, I'm struggling to think of any team who's players are younger than they were last year.

Archived