Cameron Jerome - Signed for Göztepe

RiddingsRam

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cosmic said:

You were saying that he can’t score goals at this level based on what you saw in the latter half of the season. I was pointing out that you were ignoring the first half of the season where he clearly demonstrated he can score goals at this level.

thanks I'd forgotten the historic reference.  I will point out that he used to score goals in the prem so perhaps we should hang on to him for when we get promoted

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Not sure we'll get our money I'm afraid, think we'll have to accept £750,000 maybe £1m max as we need some players off the payroll.

Maybe...

The oft-quoted fees printed in the red tops, is usually the top possible fee including all the add-ons (bigger number makes better headlines).

So the £1.5m price tag, could well have been £1m + 500k on promotion.

We could yet get our money back.

23 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Maybe...

The oft-quoted fees printed in the red tops, is usually the top possible fee including all the add-ons (bigger number makes better headlines).

So the £1.5m price tag, could well have been £1m + 500k on promotion.

We could yet get our money back.

If the value of a player is split over the course of their contract, Jerome might only be worth £500k on the books at Derby so anything over that is good for the club. Plus Itl be a big another big wage off the books as well as Shacks, Bents, Bairds and the snakes wages.

4 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

If the value of a player is split over the course of their contract, Jerome might only be worth £500k on the books at Derby so anything over that is good for the club. Plus Itl be a big another big wage off the books as well as Shacks, Bents, Bairds and the snakes wages.

The snakes wages are now being used for Gods wages

3 hours ago, cosmic said:

You were saying that he can’t score goals at this level based on what you saw in the latter half of the season. I was pointing out that you were ignoring the first half of the season where he clearly demonstrated he can score goals at this level.

Yes, but doesn't the fact he couldn't hit a barn door from 5 yards in the second half of the season, either suggest he has lost form or can't maintain the fitness over a season?

PistoldPete2
4 hours ago, cosmic said:

Pretty sure I saw him score goals at this level at the start of the season ?

And at the end too scored v Barnsley Brighton and boro. Had a sticky patch in the middle of season 

I was unsure when we signed him, felt like a complete waste after the first few games, had a lovely purple patch at the end to show he's still got 'it'

But - I don't think he adds much to our overall game - He's a great striker for a Rowett-style "hit-em on the break" football - But I'd like to see us playing a bit more football next season again - And that means we need a striker who can hold up the ball and pass a bit (ie, someone, someone, Derby number 9 - Can't remember who - Haven't seen him for a while)

Thought he would be a terrible signing.

Surprised to see that when he wrote us off he practically cemented our play off status and did well in the playoffs.

Wouldnt mind him going but if he stays I reckon he would be good backup.

Once he had a few games to get fit he did do well

14 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Yep, I'd say the same for near enough our whole team bar Carson, Davies and Huddlestone, but even they can be replaced by younger players who probably aren't as good now, but have the potential to be and will increase in value. I'd just avoid selling those 3 simply because we've seen that they form a very good spine of our team

I don’t think Huddlestone was particularly brilliant last season… mainly because the only player we have who spins in behind is Weimann but none-the-less…

6 minutes ago, cannable said:

I don’t think Huddlestone was particularly brilliant last season… mainly because the only player we have who spins in behind is Weimann but none-the-less…

I didn't either - Until I realised how badly he was being let down by the rest of the team - The sheer number of times where he saw a pass on but no Derby player where there should have been one - No one making runs - No one getting in space - And he ended up having to make a safe/boring/non creative ball instead - Plus the few times he did make great passes only a few of our players were good enough to control them

Not sure if the fault of the players or the style of football we played last year but not enough willing runners/movement

2 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Yes, but doesn't the fact he couldn't hit a barn door from 5 yards in the second half of the season, either suggest he has lost form or can't maintain the fitness over a season?

Sure, it suggests he maybe lost some form or fitness towards the end of the season. No problem with that observation, but it doesn't negate the point I was making. Spanish was saying he's not convinced he can score goals at this level, I was saying well we've already seen he can. Nothing more in it that that, tbh.

He can go with good wishes. His burst of form at the end of the season, far more than anyone expected of him, provided some excitement, kept our season alive, and in a way unified fans behind the team after a rather apathetic spell.

The facts though are that he is about to turn 32, and struggles to finish 90 minutes.

I'd happily keep him as an impact sub but I'm not sure we're in a position to have idle money sitting on the bench and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want that either.

A serious bid and we'd be foolish not to reduce the wage bill and recoup £1m, even though there is a realistic possibility of us and PNE being around the same place in the table and I'm sure like most players he will return to bite us in the ass.

Wouldn't bet against Rogery making a move for him just because he can.  Although that in itself would require him moving an arm whilst sunbathing on a beach somewhere, so maybe not.

2 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

And at the end too scored v Barnsley Brighton and boro. Had a sticky patch in the middle of season 

Brighton?

Thought he completely lost it in 2018 even the last match goal header was directed at the defender on the line.  Missed a lot of good chances which he would normally have buried.  Great scorer but I am concerned that the miles have caught up with him, guess you don't agree?

He's on a fairly long list of older players we should be looking to offload if we can. Works hard, scored some goals in a purple patch but if we are to get back to playing football on the deck, I don't think he's got the game for it to be honest. If someone is offering money we should take it because next year he'll be worth nowt.

For me, I'd only be looking to keep Carson, Davies and Keogh. We have some quality players but it's such a mismatch everyone else is available for transfer subject to the style of play and formation we play. No point keeping too many players that don't fit with our preferred playing style.

Archived