Zag zig

Snake City watch

33 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I was just amused by the grass not being greener and his the way it played out. Like with Schteve McClaren, once the initial happy slap of fate had seen him fall apart at Newcastle I didn't give him much more thought until he came back.

As for rowett, to be honest, I think at backs to the wall hard up clubs he'll have a niech around the championship and league 1 once he rebuilds his reputation a bit, but he's blown his chance to be a big thing after that.

My only criticism of Rowett is that he progressed very quickly up the managerial ladder artificially without earning it.

He needs to actually put something on his CV now rather then he did a good job at Birmingham,  did an OK job at Derby without actually achieving anything in the final analysis.

13 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Apprently their no one choice Jokanovic has said he doesnt want the job 

I heard that in radio 5 too. Let the mass scramble of managers to distance themselves from the job commence. 

The Luton manager is their preferred option now. How did that kind of thinking work out for Ipswich? I’m all for giving an up and coming manager from a lower league a chance, but I really don’t think Stoke is the place for it, and if I was that manager, I’d rather keep flying high with Luton and get a promotion on my cv there, than move to the paoisom chalice that is stoke. Like when Leeds tried a few promising lower league managers, doesn’t really work out wel with big clubs expecting instant success. 

I stuck with him when he was here because he got results, I didn't like the way he got them, but he got them (playoff second leg aside).

Having seen the way he has conducted himself at Stoke and the way they have played their football I am so glad he went. It was never going to get better under Rowett and the way it has ended up is to put it bluntly, bloody hilarious.

Think the majority of fans stuck with him because for most of the time a play-off place was always a possibility, despite the style of football and for the most part, a lack of excitement. The tipping point was the 2nd leg of the play-off semi final - what on earth possessed him to adopt those tactics?

Glad he went when he did and not fussed that he's been drummed out of Stoke for a similarly negative approach - Stoke I ask you, now that's really something!

11 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

I understand why he went to Stoke and didn't blame him for it, but that's the gamble, thus I have no sympathy for him at all.

Lower Champ side fighting to stay up/ L1 club aiming for promotion seems a likely next job. His stock has fallen considerably in 8 months.

12 months.

the results started to dip after jan 2018. Yet alot of Derby fans were still singing about "we've got Gary Rowett" in late March. Others had had enough much earlier.

the pot-heads were spooked by Derby fans laughing at them. As far as i can tell the football at stoke was nowhere near as dull as what we watched. However his coccksure arrogance was ultimately his undoing. The Bojan comments killed him.

40 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Think the majority of fans stuck with him because for most of the time a play-off place was always a possibility, despite the style of football and for the most part, a lack of excitement. The tipping point was the 2nd leg of the play-off semi final - what on earth possessed him to adopt those tactics?

How were those tactics a surprise?

he played like that from Brentford away onwards. What was it 27% possession. Brentford fans called it anti-football.

Whilst I genuinely feel for his kids, and what they will have to contend with at school, I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for Rowett himself. Anyone earning a living as a professional football manager, and not rating (but rejecting) great players such as Will Hughes and Chris Martin, should not be offered sympathy or understanding when the inevitable happens, and his naive and ill -thought out tactics and footballing philosophy reveal him for the incompetent clown that he is ! 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Don't quite get the 'anti football' tag.

Football is about scoring goals at one end and keeping them out at the other.

At this stage of last season we were better off in both stats than we are currently.

What happens in between is a different matter but that is more about personal enjoyment. It's only Sky TV that have led everyone to believe that goals should not be scored unless they are preceeded by 5000 passes.

Have you forgotten from January onwards last season? Absolutely dire football and we got outplayed by Sunderland and Burton who were bottom of the table before kick-off. We were in relegation form but somehow got a top 6 place.

Rowett’s game plan is just to absorb pressure all game and then counter if possible. That isn’t sustainable. We may have scored more and won by bigger margins but we had a lot of luck in that run that got us up the table. The score lines painted over the cracks.

Rowett doesn’t play football, he hopes for a 0-0 and maybe nick a result.

Edited by Will the Ram

7 hours ago, Will the Ram said:

Have you forgotten from January onwards last season? Absolutely dire football and we got outplayed by Sunderland and Burton who were bottom of the table before kick-off. We were in relegation form but somehow got a top 6 place.

Rowett’s game plan is just to absorb pressure all game and then counter if possible. That isn’t sustainable. We may have scored more and won by bigger margins but we had a lot of luck in that run that got us up the table. The score lines painted over the cracks.

Rowett doesn’t play football, he hopes for a 0-0 and maybe nick a result.

No I haven't forgotten them results, them sort of things happen in this division hence why we've also been turned over by Bolton, Rotherham and Millwall this season. 

Have you forgotten that we had more games won by 3 goals margins than any other team last season?

You say it was unsustainable but it clearly wasn't as we reached the play offs. The other times I have regularly heard that this sort of football was unsustainable were when Burnley and Cardiff got promoted using it and Leicester won a Premier League title using it.

To say you get lucky over a season is just wrong in my opinion. 

I know it's going to sound like I like Rowett's style of football, but I genuinely don't, I just think the criticism of it, and him, go top far the other way and some of the arguments used to support it are fictitious and hypocritical.