Snake City watch

Zag zig

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reality is it’s true, even if it’s hard to swallow from Rowett.

A manager can prepare the team well, but it’s down to the players that cross the white line to do their jobs. 

Stoke are now lower in the table than when Rowett left are they not? 18th.

Was Rowett really the problem?

Already seen calls for Jones to be sacked as well now, if those calls get louder it’s going to put them in a tricky place.

The Championship is a difficult league, you have clubs coming down thinking they will just walk it despite numerous examples of this not being true. 

Horrible lack of patience across all clubs with demands for success in a managers first season or they are out. About time fans stuck with managers and allowed them a bedding in season to see the issues first hand and a chance to sort them out. 

Knew it was a mistake for Jones. Total poison chalice. There was no way he could win. Alternatively, he could have started at Luton, won a promotion, then built his reputation by putting in a good showing next season in the championship. Don’t know why managers make these silly decisions. I should be a football management careers advisor. 

44 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Knew it was a mistake for Jones. Total poison chalice. There was no way he could win. Alternatively, he could have started at Luton, won a promotion, then built his reputation by putting in a good showing next season in the championship. Don’t know why managers make these silly decisions. I should be a football management careers advisor. 

"Brendan, its Leicester. You'll have to spend all day with people talking about Lesta and how they won the Premier league but you haven't and fans with Celtic levels of expectation but unfortunately largely Celtic level of players in a much better league, your best bet is to let Stevie G take the stoke job in a couple of weeks then go over to Rangers, it'll be fine, it's no big deal these days"

1 hour ago, David said:

Reality is it’s true, even if it’s hard to swallow from Rowett.

A manager can prepare the team well, but it’s down to the players that cross the white line to do their jobs. 

Stoke are now lower in the table than when Rowett left are they not? 18th.

Was Rowett really the problem?

His problem was self-created. He gave the impression that they had a great squad and were going to storm the league. He then spent a shed load of money on under performing players and arrogantly slagged off their fans favourite. 

the reality was that after spending £40m they should have been top 6. 

Had he said at the beginning what he said at the end he might have created a different level of expectation,but unfortunately the whole mentality of the club - owners, board, fans etc - was that they would storm the league.

Now they have even more duff players on fresh contracts and are pursuing the strange notion that by playing a Luton Town diamond formation it will all magically work out.

Big problem with the Stoke job was managing expectations. Their fans have spent too much time getting comfortable in the PL, after a while it’s very cushy and easy to just write off the championship as below you.

Stoke really thought they were the big boys and as the article says, could bounce back up ‘easily’. You’re setting yourself up for failure if immediate promotion is the floor of your expectations.

Despite *hating* Rowett and wanting him out, from an outsiders perspective I do think he was hard done by to be sacked so early.

But, the reality is, he’s been a championship manager for a while now, he should have known to manage expectations and not sell Stoke on the idea they were going to bully the rest of the division. Part of the reason I really detested Rowett was because he was so arrogant and he’s not really got any option other than to accept a large amount of responsibility for getting himself sacked.

He thinks he’s some championship guru with an amazing track record when really he’s only made the play-off’s once and embarrassed himself when he got there.

AS IF he thought he was going to walk the league with that team when he’s never been promoted, only made the play-offs once and ducking lost embarrassingly at that. And it’s not your fault you got sacked? Give me a break.

I think it says a lot about Rowett that the more time he spends as a manager, the further his stock drops. He probably did his best work at Burton, second best job at Birmingham, had Derby about where you’d expect them to be and then flunked it at Stoke.

2 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Big problem with the Stoke job was managing expectations. Their fans have spent too much time getting comfortable in the PL, after a while it’s very cushy and easy to just write off the championship as below you.

Stoke really thought they were the big boys and as the article says, could bounce back up ‘easily’. You’re setting yourself up for failure if immediate promotion is the floor of your expectations.

Despite *hating* Rowett and wanting him out, from an outsiders perspective I do think he was hard done by to be sacked so early.

But, the reality is, he’s been a championship manager for a while now, he should have known to manage expectations and not sell Stoke on the idea they were going to bully the rest of the division. Part of the reason I really detested Rowett was because he was so arrogant and he’s not really got any option other than to accept a large amount of responsibility for getting himself sacked.

He thinks he’s some championship guru with an amazing track record when really he’s only made the play-off’s once and embarrassed himself when he got there.

AS IF he thought he was going to walk the league with that team when he’s never been promoted, only made the play-offs once and ducking lost embarrassingly at that. And it’s not your fault you got sacked? Give me a break.

I think it says a lot about Rowett that the more time he spends as a manager, the further his stock drops. He probably did his best work at Burton, second best job at Birmingham, had Derby about where you’d expect them to be and then flunked it at Stoke.

Shades of wee Billy.

He thinks he’s some championship guru with an amazing track record when really he’s only made the play-off’s once and embarrassed himself when he got there.

Ouch. 

8 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

I wouldn't say we were embarrassed: we managed to win at home, albeit a small win, but Fulham were fundamentally a better team and made their home advantage count more. I agree on everything else, especially the arrogance he showed spending money in the summer and his comments to Leeds - "I guess you haven't seen the bookies odds" which echoed when Leeds stuffed them in the first game of the season. 

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I wouldn't say we were embarrassed: we managed to win at home, albeit a small win, but Fulham were fundamentally a better team and made their home advantage count more. I agree on everything else, especially the arrogance he showed spending money in the summer and his comments to Leeds - "I guess you haven't seen the bookies odds" which echoed when Leeds stuffed them in the first game of the season. 

Thinking more of the manner in which we approached that away leg. Conceding possession, time and space to Fulham while offering little attacking threat ourselves was criminal. It was like we were asking to lose 3-0.

After Villa on Saturday, I’m not going to belittle a conservative approach because we could have bloody done with one but I was embarrassed to watch that away leg with a couple mates who weren’t Derby fans.

6 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Thinking more of the manner in which we approached that away leg. Conceding possession, time and space to Fulham while offering little attacking threat ourselves was criminal. It was like we were asking to lose 3-0.

After Villa on Saturday, I’m not going to belittle a conservative approach because we could have bloody done with one but I was embarrassed to watch that away leg with a couple mates who weren’t Derby fans.

We went to Fulham to lose. It was agonising knowing that it was inevitable.

Villa was a case of everything going wrong, Fulham was premeditated.

• 3 weeks later...

Stoke achieved a feat at the weekend last performed by Arsenal in 2009. Four straight 0-0 draws! - I don't think 5 straight 0-0 draws has ever happened to a team in the top 4 divisions.  

I do agree with folks who said that in general, Stoke aren't worth talking about now Rowett's gone but I thought that was genuinely interesting.

image.png

Archived