Snake City watch

Zag zig

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Exactly my thoughts at the time. The ends didn't justify the means for me, we were nowhere near successful enough for me to put up with the poo football that came with it. The positives of this is I'm appreciating this season under Lampard a whole lot more. 

When I was younger the passion of football was scoring goals. Nothing could beat that excitement for me. Nothing. 

I'm enjoying Lampards style of play but if it doesn't lead to us scoring the goals to get us promoted is it actually anything to get excited about?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Don't quite get the 'anti football' tag.

Football is about scoring goals at one end and keeping them out at the other.

At this stage of last season we were better off in both stats than we are currently.

What happens in between is a different matter but that is more about personal enjoyment. It's only Sky TV that have led everyone to believe that goals should not be scored unless they are preceeded by 5000 passes.

Although I've never been a fan of him I kind of agree that the criticism of his football has gone a bit too far.

I found last season really boring. I just don't like counter attacking football. I don't mind counter attacks but the whole plan from the start to sit back, absorb and break I find myself bored for 80 minutes per game. 

But I don't think he philosophy for his team is like Mick McCarthy or Pulis. Where the idea is to disrupt, battle, scrap and eventually bully. Horrible term "anti football" but if it exists then it would be applicable to these two. 

It wasn't even the boredom that killed me. It was the occasions when we chose to sit back and absorb when the opponent had very little intention of coming at us. It made for the most grim performances. The final straw was Wolves away where they were 1-0 and we helped them defend it. No wonder they scored a stunner. With us lining the box and them stroking it about in front of us the only way there would be a goal is from the middle of the pitch! 

But it all confirmed that he's not one to set a team out with the fun factor that Lampard has. I know we've scored less goals this season and conceded more. But it's fair to say that we've had a good go at enjoying the game. Where Rowett sets up a good defence and then requires opponents to run onto his sword. Which they do. Especially if 1-0. 

He's good at what he does. But what he does is a bit dull. It's a sure fire way to get hammered on occasion. We were pretty poor when going a goal down. 1 comeback maybe? 

It's not "go out and express yourselves" stuff. Lampard's team is understandably naive but it feels like there's more to come. With Rowett I felt like he was sort of set for life.

He's like Bruce Willis. Bruce Willis has always been John McClane. In any film. Sometimes he's better than others. But if he was in A Beautiful Mind or Deadpool or The Greatest Showman then he'd still show up with the white vest and that slightly pissed off look. 

Like Samuel L Jackson. 

Going off topic.

Sorry. 

You get me though bruv?

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Not true. The bulk of Rowett's critics wanted to watch decent football. Many clearly stated the case that they'd swap success for entertainment and it had nothing to do with them being influenced by Sky, least as far as I can see. It was idiots like me that felt the end might justify the means. 

What constitutes excitement in football these days though? Isn't it all about scoring goals at the end of the day? For me the football purists would prefer to watch 80 minutes of 2 centre backs passing to each other giving a 100% pass completion stat over a long punt forward leading to a goal. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

At this stage of last season we were better off in both stats than we are currently.

What happens in between is a different matter but that is more about personal enjoyment. It's only Sky TV that have led everyone to believe that goals should not be scored unless they are preceeded by 5000 passes.

it was rubbish to watch...fact... ask 30,000 Derby fans and Stoke Fans and I think most would agree , sky's view on it is neither here nor there

To go to a playoff semi final and try and defend a 1-0 lead says it all for me. Useless boring clown, glad he got the sack. I hope we don’t see him in football again ?

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What constitutes excitement in football these days though? Isn't it all about scoring goals at the end of the day? For me the football purists would prefer to watch 80 minutes of 2 centre backs passing to each other giving a 100% pass completion stat over a long punt forward leading to a goal. 

If it is all about putting the ball in the net you may as well just watch basketball. Goals are great of course because that is what generates points, but the crowd also gets going by exciting quick interchanging of passes and keeping the ball rather than a punt into the corner to chase. We didn't get the football from Rowett, the football was boring. The other thing we didn't get so much from Rowett was irritation throgh careless passing and poor fefending right across the back four and midfield. I didn't like Rowett's style of football and todate, I am not that impressed by Lampard's either, but ever hopeful that it improves.

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Hear what you're saying but there's a whole realm of possibilities between pointless tikkitakka football and non-stop aerial. Some of the football we've seen this season has had the fans purring and rightly so IMO. You make a valid point though in that the ability to strike a balance is important - winning ugly when needed is almost a compulsory attribute in the Championship and whilst we've done it at times, we've also let some poor teams hold us at bay.  Had we not, we'd be top 2 right now. 

Wolves were the best side i watched at PP last season and could've won by 5 if they took there chances so the Wolves away match was always going to be tough.

Our performance away to Wolves though left me angry at the way we totally let them play and went there with a view to keep the score down.

I said after the game that i never wanted to see DCFC ever throw in the towel so readily again and put in such a meek performance whoever we are playing.

Frank has taken us to Man Utd and Chelsea and on both occasions has left us feeling proud and thats all you ask.

You can't play well every game i get that but to go into any game with such a negative attitude and tactics is not what i want to see and was highlighted in the World Cup where attacking football was there for all to see.

Rowett going done us a big favour as was painful to watch last season, play offs or no play offs....Brum fans warned us about his style of football and they were spot on and i have no sympathy whatsoever for Rowett getting fired... its probably good for football though....

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

A fair point, particularly in regards to past season comparisons. But invariably it's the "footballing" teams that ultimately last the season and rise to the top spots. Particularly if you want to stay up. In recent years, Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton, Newcastle, Wolves. All good passing teams playing football as opposed to hoofball. That's why I'm more optimistic with FL at the helm. That's his style, he just needs another couple of windows to recruit the right exponents. Just surprised he's allowing Thorne and Butterfield to go who are probably the best of the current squad at passing a ball. If we don't go up this year, next years nailed on for me. Either way I look forward to match day way more than when the snake ran things!

14 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Both mate. You dip the tikki in the takka. It's like a chicken sherbet dibdab. 

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Clearly just a dip 

For curry, it needs to be a tarka-tikkitakka... similar taste and texture, but a little 'otter.

I know it,made by P.Clement foods?

8 minutes ago, The Arch Deacon said:

A fair point, particularly in regards to past season comparisons. But invariably it's the "footballing" teams that ultimately last the season and rise to the top spots. Particularly if you want to stay up. In recent years, Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton, Newcastle, Wolves. All good passing teams playing football as opposed to hoofball. That's why I'm more optimistic with FL at the helm. That's his style, he just needs another couple of windows to recruit the right exponents. Just surprised he's allowing Thorne and Butterfield to go who are probably the best of the current squad at passing a ball. If we don't go up this year, next years nailed on for me. Either way I look forward to match day way more than when the snake ran things!

That's clearly cherry picking, for the teams you named where was Burnley, Middlesborough and Cardiff?

There is no set formula for getting out of this division.

Agree that decent passing football is better to watch but personally I think we are quite a way from seeing that on a consistent basis at this moment in time. Happy to enjoy the ride though as long as our fans don't get impatient because that is when matchday becomes a chore.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That's clearly cherry picking, for the teams you named where was Burnley, Middlesborough and Cardiff?

There is no set formula for getting out of this division.

Agree that decent passing football is better to watch but personally I think we are quite a way from seeing that on a consistent basis at this moment in time. Happy to enjoy the ride though as long as our fans don't get impatient because that is when matchday becomes a chore.

You're not accusing any of the above teams of Rowetball surely! Perhaps not as fluent as Wolves certainly, but not the garbage Rowett churned out. I'd take any of the managers who took these teams up ahead of Rowett! As would every Stoke fan in the world I suspect.

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Surely making curries with baby otters is illegal? 

Yeah right!  Like anyone is bothered what "meat" is in there, by the time we walk into a curry house!

You'll be stating next that all kebabs must only contain "non-domestic" animals!

Archived