Snake City watch

Zag zig

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Not true. The bulk of Rowett's critics wanted to watch decent football. Many clearly stated the case that they'd swap success for entertainment and it had nothing to do with them being influenced by Sky, least as far as I can see

Exactly my thoughts at the time. The ends didn't justify the means for me, we were nowhere near successful enough for me to put up with the poo football that came with it. The positives of this is I'm appreciating this season under Lampard a whole lot more. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

However, if he wasn't pushed out of the job here then moving for money didn't work. So not such a smart move really?

The expectations at Stoke would have been astronomic and only top 6 at least by Christmas would have kept him there.

Big gamble with his career which has not paid off. Like you I take no pleasure in seeing anyone lose their job, but on the same hand, if you are saying one thing (the best job in the world and being here is the pinnacle or what ever) then you turn coat. You are bound to get some flack

I am between 90-95% positive that if he had started the season here that he wouldn't have lasted the season. The reaction when he was 'poached' from us said it all. It wasn't the reaction of a club that was losing their tactical mastermind, it was a reaction of a fanbase that knew they were getting away with one. He also keeps peddling this 'behind the scenes' narrative behind his decision to go which, at the very least, highlights not everything was rosy between him and Mel.

The expectations don't come into it for me, because if we were sat where Stoke currently and he was still our manager then he would have gone long before now. All the move did for Rowett was make sure his 2019 payoff was larger from the club he was being sacked from, in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Exactly my thoughts at the time. The ends didn't justify the means for me, we were nowhere near successful enough for me to put up with the poo football that came with it. The positives of this is I'm appreciating this season under Lampard a whole lot more. 

I'm just surprised Stoke fans didn't love his football enough to accept midtable

19 minutes ago, 86 points said:

That's exactly the point I addressed Tim. Read my post again. You're inferring that there was some sort of bandwagon - I'm saying folk were really pissed off that he dumped us for Stoke (red - more coin). Not sure why you insist on inferring Derby fans are turncoats when the real turncoat was Rowett!  As for defending him, I didn't want him sacked when the calls first started coming. The football was nothing to sing about but dumping him mid-season would IMO have been madness.    

Don’t need to read your post again ta. Gary ‘dumped’ Derby? Didn’t feel that way to me. I thought Mel allowed him to leave (probably with no resistance). And shrewdly pocketed £2m. Hope he didn’t spend it all on silly toy snakes ? 

I was happy and relieved; not holding a grudge for the rest of Gary’s career.

He's been found out, not just as an inadequate football manager, but as a bullshitter who constantly tries to blame others for his failings. He is a spineless coward and a devious little snake. Stoke fans often called him a narcissist, which seems perceptive.

Karma has been kind to him today, as it gives him the opportunity to learn from his mistakes, whilst getting a huge payoff in the process. Not many are so fortunate.

Hopefully he'll develop a bit of humility, and be more honest and sincere in whatever he does next. 

5 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

He's been found out, not just as an inadequate football manager, but as a bullshitter who constantly tries to blame others for his failings. He is a spineless coward and a devious little snake. Stoke fans often called him a narcissist, which seems perceptive.

Karma has been kind to him today, as it gives him the opportunity to learn from his mistakes, whilst getting a huge payoff in the process. Not many are so fortunate.

Hopefully he'll develop a bit of humility, and be more honest and sincere in whatever he does next. 

Wow, strong words from you, the likes I haven't seen before.

He must have touched a nerve with you.

2 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Sums it all up very neatly - the fans spotted straight away that he surrounded himself with a whole posse of coaches/hangers on so that he could obfuscate and deny accountability for anything.

These are the traits that rankle - if hes the manager, then manage - and take accountability for doing so. Putting your hands up and admitting you were wrong from time to time can be a strength. Obviously if you are ALWAYS wrong then you won't last very long in a job either, but at least you wouldn't be getting the level of abuse being seen now.

1 minute ago, BathRam72 said:

Wow, strong words from you, the likes I haven't seen before.

He must have touched a nerve with you.

Do you see it differently?

Both his performance and behaviour at Stoke were worse than we experienced here. For any doubting his true colours, he certainly showed them under the pressure of that job. 

As for him affecting me personally, I wasted my money on a season ticket. 

19 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Don’t need to read your post again ta. Gary ‘dumped’ Derby? Didn’t feel that way to me. I thought Mel allowed him to leave (probably with no resistance). And shrewdly pocketed £2m. Hope he didn’t spend it all on silly toy snakes ? 

I was happy and relieved; not holding a grudge for the rest of Gary’s career.

All well and good but I still don't feel anyone 'jumped on a bandwagon', despite your arguments to the contrary. You seem happier to dig out Derby fans than Rowett which is plain weird IMO. I feel Rowett has made his own bed and I think that's probably true of the majority of Derby supporters. As for whether you, I or anyone else holds a grudge, well that's really neither here nor there. It's up to the individual to decide how they feel about him. For my part, I've a far higher opinion of the Derby faithful than I have a man like Rowett, sour grapes or not. 

6 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Do you see it differently?

Both his performance and behaviour at Stoke were worse than we experienced here. For any doubting his true colours, he certainly showed them under the pressure of that job. 

As for him affecting me personally, I wasted my money on a season ticket. 

I don't think I really care for what he has done at Stoke and to be honest as soon as he left, I lost interest.

I live in the here and now and look to the future, not the past.

I was just surprised at your reaction, as I have never seen this from you.

22 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

So true?

4 minutes ago, 86 points said:

All well and good but I still don't feel anyone 'jumped on a bandwagon', despite your arguments. You seem happier to dg out Derby fans than Rowett which is plain weird IMO. I feel Rowett has made his own bed and I think that's probably true of the majority of Derby supporters. As for whether you, I or anyone else holds a grudge, well that's really neither here nor there. It's up to the individual to decide how they feel about him. For my part, I've a far higher opinion of the Derby faithful than I have a man like Rowett, sour grapes or not. 

Think you’ve misunderstood as you seem to think I prefer Gary to Derby fans. That would be weird indeed. I like Frank; doesn’t mean I think he’s better than Derby’s fans. Just some of them.

The only thing I disliked about Gary when he was here was him getting rid of the best player this club has ever had. 

Mother than that I thought he was doing a good job.

Weren’t we better off this time last year than we are now.?

but, he isn’t a media darling like Frank so doesn’t get the benefits that affords 

good luck to him, he will be fine because he is a good manager, it’s hope he doesn’t get on to the championship merry go round that would be sad  

On 29/12/2018 at 19:49, Andicis said:

Snakey managed to upset Bojan... way with words that man.

image.thumb.png.c5faf8b12be8e99d28cfc7734716dcbd.png

This quote is indicative of Rowett's football philosophy and management style. Anyone still claiming Rowett wasn't the instigator of Hughes being sold for peanuts needs only look at his treatment of Bojan. He's completely frozen the guy out of the team and when questioned on that he comes out with arrogant rubbish like the quote above. Yes, Gary, Bojan was good for Stoke 3 years ago when they were a top half Premier League team. It is literally your job as a manager to get a talent like that to rediscover his form, but you didn't even try. Instead you chose to "move the club forward" by spending 6 million quid on James McClean.

10 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Weren’t we better off this time last year than we are now.?

but, he isn’t a media darling like Frank so doesn’t get the benefits that affords 

Maybe statistically we were better off last year, but we were playing some of the worst, least entertaining football i have ever had the misfortune to watch at Derby County under Rowetts reign.

It has nothing to do with Frank being a "media darling" - if he was playing similar football or treated fans and players like Rowett does he would still get grief from fans/media the same if not worse than rowett. 

Archived