Snake City watch

Zag zig

1 minute ago, Squid said:

That went well...

Risible. Must be a new use of the word 'revolution'. Mr Gump certainly saw the writing on the wall quickly, didn't he? Couldn't wait to get away from the place.

Now they find themselves looking for a new Pullis clone. Like some saddo always on the lookout for lookalikes of an ex-girlfriend because he regrets dumping her in the first place.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, 86 points said:

A sobering thought is that if they bring in a manager who knows his eggs, they could absolutely charge up the table. Get the team playing, the fans buzzing and they could be a danger to all as their squad on paper is terrifying, even if they're dog poo on the pitch right now. Shame Potato Head went to the Wendies as he'd have done an awesome job of maintaining mid-table mediocrity.

Only if you're a Stoke fan.

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Bullshizzle. Nobody like his style of football. Some fans just showed a bit of loyalty to the snakey bar steward, a quality he proved to have none of. Some also felt that sacking him midseason was the express highway to meltdown. He jumped ship for coin having fed us a load of BS and that's fair enough but the proof of the pudding is in the munching of copious amounts of humble pie and right now, Gary's table is coated with the stuff. Not an ounce of pity from me and I'm one of the ones who defended him. 

Woah there. I never wanted him here. I’m saying that I couldn’t care less and not sure why the obsession. And also that a lot of fans only got on the anti Gary bandwagon after he’d walked. Those same fans that would be on here every week saying what a great bloke / manager he was.

You say that you defended him though. What for? His football?

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

Does he still live in Derby? Thought he had moved away when he left the club. 

Either way im still laughing.

Apparently he has for years - He was the whole time he was at Burton and Birmingham and don't think he's moved since going to Stoke - When he was Birmingham manager and they came to us he was interviewed saying every week he headed off to Birmingham games while his wife was taking his oldest lad to Pride Park as he's a Derby fan. He was quoted in interviews when he joined Stoke saying how difficult he'd found it personally being Derby manager - He'd taken the job originally having loved playing for the club, living in the area and his family loving the club - But it all soured because of those reasons too

Unlike most, I don’t take much pleasure out of Rowett losing his job. I’m in the minority, but I never harboured any ill feeling towards him. 

He went from a club that needed to cut down the wage bill to a team with a huge transfer budget and no doubt got paid handsomely to make that move. It’s not surprising, especially when you consider that being a manager is a job to him. He needs to make financially smart decisions over making football smart decisions for himself. Lampard, on the other hand, probably doesn’t even notice when the pay cheque from Derby hits is account. 

I think the move was best for both parties and still do. Rowett didn’t have another season in him here, especially if we didn’t improve on the season before. The football wasn’t to the supporters liking, the results kept him alive, without the results it would have been hard for him here too. Rowett, at least for himself, managed to get himself hooked onto a bigger and longer contract, which he will see paid in full. Derby managed to get in a manager that everyone can get behind as the football is enjoyable to watch again. The results, goals scored and goals conceded is actually worse off than we were under Rowett last season but it doesn’t seem that way as the football is much more pleasing on the eye. 

I wish him the best in the future. He’ll eventually build his stock back up, but it’s going to have to be the hard way. A small or struggling Championship club will definitely take a chance on him when one comes available.

47 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Woah there. I never wanted him here. I’m saying that I couldn’t care less and not sure why the obsession. And also that a lot of fans only got on the anti Gary bandwagon after he’d walked. Those same fans that would be on here every week saying what a great bloke / manager he was.

You say that you defended him though. What for? His football?

That's exactly the point I addressed Tim. Read my post again. You're inferring that there was some sort of bandwagon - I'm saying folk were really pissed off that he dumped us for Stoke (red - more coin). Not sure why you insist on inferring Derby fans are turncoats when the real turncoat was Rowett!  As for defending him, I didn't want him sacked when the calls first started coming. The football was nothing to sing about but dumping him mid-season would IMO have been madness.    

Quote from BBC story on this:

"Some supporters have been critical of the style of the play and a "Rowett out" banner was displayed during their 2-0 home defeat against Bristol City on 1 January."

I can't think what they mean ...

1 hour ago, The Arch Deacon said:

Mark of the man that can inherit a squad the quality of Stoke and turn them into absolute dog poo!

More of us should have called him out for that during his Rams reign, rather than turn on those that saw him for what he was....anti-football!

Don't quite get the 'anti football' tag.

Football is about scoring goals at one end and keeping them out at the other.

At this stage of last season we were better off in both stats than we are currently.

What happens in between is a different matter but that is more about personal enjoyment. It's only Sky TV that have led everyone to believe that goals should not be scored unless they are preceeded by 5000 passes.

28 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Unlike most, I don’t take much pleasure out of Rowett losing his job. I’m in the minority, but I never harboured any ill feeling towards him. 

He went from a club that needed to cut down the wage bill to a team with a huge transfer budget and no doubt got paid handsomely to make that move. It’s not surprising, especially when you consider that being a manager is a job to him. He needs to make financially smart decisions over making football smart decisions for himself. Lampard, on the other hand, probably doesn’t even notice when the pay cheque from Derby hits is account. 

I think the move was best for both parties and still do. Rowett didn’t have another season in him here, especially if we didn’t improve on the season before. The football wasn’t to the supporters liking, the results kept him alive, without the results it would have been hard for him here too. Rowett, at least for himself, managed to get himself hooked onto a bigger and longer contract, which he will see paid in full. Derby managed to get in a manager that everyone can get behind as the football is enjoyable to watch again. The results, goals scored and goals conceded is actually worse off than we were under Rowett last season but it doesn’t seem that way as the football is much more pleasing on the eye. 

I wish him the best in the future. He’ll eventually build his stock back up, but it’s going to have to be the hard way. A small or struggling Championship club will definitely take a chance on him when one comes available.

However, if he wasn't pushed out of the job here then moving for money didn't work. So not such a smart move really?

The expectations at Stoke would have been astronomic and only top 6 at least by Christmas would have kept him there.

Big gamble with his career which has not paid off. Like you I take no pleasure in seeing anyone lose their job, but on the same hand, if you are saying one thing (the best job in the world and being here is the pinnacle or what ever) then you turn coat. You are bound to get some flack

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Don't quite get the 'anti football' tag.

Football is about scoring goals at one end and keeping them out at the other.

At this stage of last season we were better off in both stats than we are currently.

What happens in between is a different matter but that is more about personal enjoyment. It's only Sky TV that have led everyone to believe that goals should not be scored unless they are preceeded by 5000 passes.

Not true. The bulk of Rowett's critics wanted to watch decent football. Many clearly stated the case that they'd swap success for entertainment and it had nothing to do with them being influenced by Sky, least as far as I can see. It was idiots like me that felt the end might justify the means. 

Archived