Snake City watch

Zag zig

28 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Who cares. As relevant as Phil Brown. 

Plenty of Rowett fans loved him til he left us and then he was suddenly ‘the snake’. His style of football didn’t concern some Derby fans, only the fact that he left us. 

I hope we just leave him alone now as it’s all ancient history.

Bullshizzle. Nobody like his style of football. Some fans just showed a bit of loyalty to the snakey bar steward, a quality he proved to have none of. Some also felt that sacking him midseason was the express highway to meltdown. He jumped ship for coin having fed us a load of BS and that's fair enough but the proof of the pudding is in the munching of copious amounts of humble pie and right now, Gary's table is coated with the stuff. Not an ounce of pity from me and I'm one of the ones who defended him. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Agreed - I don't have any problem with Rowett leaving - Same for me as Russell leaving as it was for non-footballing family reasons it seems

He lives in Derby, at least one of his kids is a Derby fan - Must have been horrible for his kids to suffer abuse when Derby lost, dealing with people constantly asking them to pass on messages etc etc so I sympathise

But this is the reason I was happy he went - HATED the football - Considered giving up my season ticket after more than 25 years because of his football

Does he still live in Derby? Thought he had moved away when he left the club. 

Either way im still laughing.

Didn’t like his brand of football when he was here and made no secret about that, however I take no pleasure in his sacking and apart from it would have been great to beat them at our place whilst he was in charge, it wouldn’t have bothered me if he had been successful.

Managers, as players come and go, there is no loyalty in football anymore (and TBH never was) and even though he got rid of the best youth product we have ever produced for peanuts, anyone getting sacked for me is not something pleasant and to gloat over.

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Bullshizzle. Nobody like his style of football. Some fans just showed a bit of loyalty to the snakey bar steward, a quality he proved to have none of. Some also felt that sacking him midseason was the express highway to meltdown. He jumped ship for coin having fed us a load of BS and that's fair enough but the proof of the pudding is in the munching of copious amounts of humble pie and right now, Gary's table is coated with the stuff. Not an ounce of pity from me and I'm one of the ones who defended him. 

That just about summed up my opinion of last season 

I also think he gave us two dreadful transfer windows player wise (Davies and Huddlestone were decent )

26 minutes ago, Anon said:

Not me. Phillips might be a nice guy, but can anyone really say that our strikers and attacking play in general didn't get steadily worse whilst he was at the club?

Yeah it was more for the seemed a decent bloke, I’m not overly convinced on his coaching abilities either.

8 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Managers, as players come and go, there is no loyalty in football anymore (and TBH never was) and even though he got rid of the best youth product we have ever produced for peanuts, anyone getting sacked for me is not something pleasant and to gloat over.

Fair points if he hadn't already been on truckloads of cash at Derby when he jumped ship for even more. Some on here have said 'well good luck to him, he's entitled to go for the highest pay packet he can'. I'd respond, 'how's that working out for him?' When the average Joe loses his job, he loses the ability to feed and house his family. When someone like Rowett loses their job in the fashion he has, all he loses is his credibility which was already in shreds. I'm not sat here rubbing my hands at the man's demise, but I'm sure as hell not fretting about it either. 

£35m spent on players with no major positives amongst them. Not a lot of quality players departing, but 8 months in, he's done nothing to change the attitude, managed only 8 wins (30% win ratio), and sitting in 14th.

If Afobe hadn't gone on  a 10 match dry spell they may well have turned a few draws to wins and be sitting in 5th or 6th, but then Ince's goals probably papered over the cracks and they were nowhere near to winning.

Karma's a bitch, right Gaz?   

10 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Fair points if he hadn't already been on truckloads of cash at Derby when he jumped ship for even more. Some on here have said 'well good luck to him, he's entitled to go for the highest pay packet he can'. I'd respond, 'how's that working out for him?' When the average Joe loses his job, he loses the ability to feed and house his family. When someone like Rowett loses their job in the fashion he has, all he loses is his credibility which was already in shreds. I'm not sat here rubbing my hands at the man's demise, but I'm sure as hell not fretting about it either. 

Can’t fault you for your opinion, and would never say it’s wrong. For me though, I didn’t want him and was glad when he went with a satisfactory outcome for all parties, I can totally understand people who backed him during his period at the club feeling let down, and feeling warm inside about this news, and as you say, it’s not as though it’s not worked out financially for him.

A sobering thought is that if they bring in a manager who knows his eggs, they could absolutely charge up the table. Get the team playing, the fans buzzing and they could be a danger to all as their squad on paper is terrifying, even if they're dog poo on the pitch right now. Shame Potato Head went to the Wendies as he'd have done an awesome job of maintaining mid-table mediocrity.

Archived