Snake City watch

Zag zig

Just noticed our former manager has completed his first signing, a World Cup player at that.

Thought it would be interesting to watch the type of player he brings in compared to those he bought to Derby and how they shape up formation wise.

Midfielder Oghenekaro Peter Etebo, aged 22 has signed for a near £6m and his described as a box to box player.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/oghenekaro-peter-etebo-stoke-city-1663966

Interesting Snake manager described him as mobile, energetic and wait for it..... “a great age”!

Now I know Stoke are a different financial proposition to the Rams but why didn’t he go for these type of players at Derby more?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dare I suggest he was on Stoke’s radar prior to him joining ? He never appeared to have much of an idea about players from Europe when he was with us.

In fact, didn’t he say signing players from Europe was a gamble (which I took as an excuse to detract from his lack of knowledge of those players)

The bloke’s full of it, I can say hand on heart and on my dog’s lives I never watched any of his press conferences having decided he sickened me while watching one of them fan forums. Smug twit.

53 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Dare I suggest he was on Stoke’s radar prior to him joining ? He never appeared to have much of an idea about players from Europe when he was with us.

In fact, didn’t he say signing players from Europe was a gamble (which I took as an excuse to detract from his lack of knowledge of those players)

The bloke’s full of it, I can say hand on heart and on my dog’s lives I never watched any of his press conferences having decided he sickened me while watching one of them fan forums. Smug twit.

Yeah did wonder if it was already set up before he joined?

Certainly remember him saying there was only a few leagues in Europe suited to the Championship maybe, think he mentioned Bundesliga for one (?) but he spoke good a lot of the time, just never backed it up with his actions half the time.

6 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Certainly remember him saying there was only a few leagues in Europe suited to the Championship maybe, think he mentioned Bundesliga for one (?) but he spoke good a lot of the time, just never backed it up with his actions half the time.

He can also afford to pi$$ Stoke's money up the wall. He always seemed a bit grumpy he couldn't do that with Mel's because others already had.

Strange signing for him to make, considering everything he has said in the past. I've read that he's a hard-working player, with lots in the tank. I'm not surprised in the slightest by that, but the price seems outrageous? I think Mel needs to get whoever looks after Feirense's player sales on the blower - we may need him! 

He'd get £4m for Butterfield based on this deal. 

2 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Just noticed our former manager has completed his first signing, a World Cup player at that.

Thought it would be interesting to watch the type of player he brings in compared to those he bought to Derby and how they shape up formation wise.

Midfielder Oghenekaro Peter Etebo, aged 22 has signed for a near £6m and his described as a box to box player.

We've got one...from Wiki about him "By the end of the season he had been given a free-attacking role in the team and the comparisons to Frank Lampard..."

Lol, we've got the real deal! ?

14 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Gary rowetts been working on his interview techniques to sell the vision of Stoke to impressionable players....?

kaa-the-jungle-book.jpg

I was going to say Shere Kunt, till I remembered that was the tiger.

Close enough, mind.

13 hours ago, Zag zig said:

You have that the wrong way around. He spoke good half the time just never backed it up a lot of the time.

Afobe is a better version of Jerome, so it's no surprise. I have no doubts that he is actually his signing. He's always done well at this level, so no doubt he'll be up amongst the top scorers. A much better signing than the Nigerian. 

1 hour ago, minesahartington said:

You have that the wrong way around. He spoke good half the time just never backed it up a lot of the time.

Ha maybe, but the gist is the same without debating semantics  ?.

PistoldPete2
On 11 June 2018 at 18:16, Zag zig said:

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/oghenekaro-peter-etebo-stoke-city-1663966

Interesting Snake manager described him as mobile, energetic and wait for it..... “a great age”!

Now I know Stoke are a different financial proposition to the Rams but why didn’t he go for these type of players at Derby more?

Sounds like exactly the sort of player we need here ... Would be wasted on Rowett hoofball at Stoke, will just get a neck injury watching the ball sail over his head. 

Archived