World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

6 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

France to win it..... Germany to get humped by Mexico and come 2nd in their group.... England to excite, beat Belgium and make the semi finals.... Frank Lampard to sign at least two current unknowns while out there. 

Would love to see Mexico do that, but they go into the tournament with baggage too after half the team hosted a party with about 30 hookers before the recent friendly with Denmark.

Photos were taken with Hector Herrera (Porto midfielder), his wife obviously found out, all hell broke loose as Mexican women love drama so he’s spent the past few days groveling with big question marks about whether he is going to play.

Mexico in general are one of those teams that everybody roots for. Good football, fluid sytle, plenty of passion. But they forever reach the last 16 and either bottle it or are on the receiving end of some horrible refereing decisions (last two WCs against diver Robben’s Holland and offside-gate Argentina).

They always seem to get a really tough group too, but navigate themselves though. In 2010 they had France and Uruguay, and came through. Same in 2014 with Brazil, Croatia and Cameroon. This time they have Germany, Sweden and S Korea. They’ll come 2nd.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Would love to see Mexico do that, but they go into the tournament with baggage too after half the team hosted a party with about 30 hookers before the recent friendly with Denmark.

Photos were taken with Hector Herrera (Porto midfielder), his wife obviously found out, all hell broke loose as Mexican women love drama so he’s spent the past few days groveling with big question marks about whether he is going to play.

Mexico in general are one of those teams that everybody roots for. Good football, fluid sytle, plenty of passion. But they forever reach the last 16 and either bottle it or are on the receiving end of some horrible refereing decisions (last two WCs against diver Robben’s Holland and offside-gate Argentina).

They always seem to get a really tough group too, but navigate themselves though. In 2010 they had France and Uruguay, and came through. Same in 2014 with Brazil, Croatia and Cameroon. This time they have Germany, Sweden and S Korea. They’ll come 2nd.

Ahhh well...I can dream about the Germans cocking it up. Has to happen one day.

I think the countries that do well in tournaments will be there or there abouts. Germany, Brazil, Argentina.

I'm kind of hoping we can beat Germany if we play them. I'm fed up of losing to them. Who will win? I have no idea. I wouldn’t put my money on anyone just yet.

England to quarters I reckon..... but will win Euro 2020..... think that’s a reasonable aim and wouldn’t put it past us to do so. 

With the help of Monte Carlo simulation, the possibility to win it is

Brazil 17%

Argentina 12%

Germany 12%

England had 6% chance, which is about right I think. 18 teams got chance between 0-1%, so with the 6%, you're basically one of the candidates.

World Cup starts on Thursday, but with such a rubbish game to kick us off.

I think I’ll give it a miss and try and tune in for Spain v Portugal on the Friday.

I’m gradually becoming more confident that England will have a decent tournament and reach at least the quarter-finals.

I think Belgium will top the group on goal difference, so it’ll be 2nd and a likely 2nd round clash with Colombia.

Does anyone else think Southgate can be our Joachim Lowe? A manager who just clicks with all the players?

It just seems all so smooth.

19 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

England to quarters I reckon..... but will win Euro 2020..... think that’s a reasonable aim and wouldn’t put it past us to do so. 

Come the next World Cup then this squad should largely be in it’s prime whilst many of the (supposedly) special 98-00 group should have broken through. 

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think I’ll give it a miss and try and tune in for Spain v Portugal on the Friday.

I’m gradually becoming more confident that England will have a decent tournament and reach at least the quarter-finals.

I think Belgium will top the group on goal difference, so it’ll be 2nd and a likely 2nd round clash with Colombia.

Does anyone else think Southgate can be our Joachim Lowe? A manager who just clicks with all the players?

Just wait until kyle walker, harry maguire and dele sneak off the campus and train to st Petersburg for a night on the lash.

gareth Southgate imposes a curfew and images of misbehaviour hit the salivating tabloids. The squad implodes and panama put 3 past us.......

itll be Gazza in the 1996 chair all over again? 

Michael Johnson and Tom Huddlestone have Belgium winning the whole thing. I’m sorry but I don’t buy into this Belgium hype train at all. They are a bunch of individuals with no team cohesion, a bit like the England golden generation. They rely so heavily on their front three, Mertens, Lukaku and Hazard. De Bruyne is rubbish for Belgium but that’s not his fault, it’s the fault of that clown Martinez who plays him as a defensive midfielder. Martinez also plays Carrasco, a well known attacking winger, as a wing back, whilst leaving one of the best midfielders in Europe Radja Nainggolan at Home in favour of Fellaini and Witsel, also leaving Moussa Dembele regularly on the bench in favour of the former two(clueless). It’s almost like he wants to lose his job.

They may well surprise me and make it far just because of how good Hazard, Lukaku and Mertens are but I bet there will not be any good tactical play and there will be no identity. I can see England comfortably beating them by 2 to 3 because this England side are a team unlike Belgium

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

You may be right but I watched Saudi Arabia v Germany and Saudi Arabia played very well, they could be this year’s Algeria. Uruguay v Egypt should be a good game. Uruguay are my dark horses, they are solid in defence with Godin and Giminez, good front up suarez and Cavani and have a brilliant midfield which could include Juventus’ Bentancur as well as arsenal and napoli target Lucas  torreira

32 minutes ago, McLovin said:

You may be right but I watched Saudi Arabia v Germany and Saudi Arabia played very well, they could be this year’s Algeria. Uruguay v Egypt should be a good game. Uruguay are my dark horses, they are solid in defence with Godin and Giminez, good front up suarez and Cavani and have a brilliant midfield which could include Juventus’ Bentancur as well as arsenal and napoli target Lucas  torreira

If Uruguay are to be darkhorses, they must improve loads on the tripe they managed during the last Copa America. Even Mexico beat them comfortably, and at the time Mexico were in a bit of a state.

They have an excellent CB pairing and strike partnership. It's what's between where they've lacked.

The Iceland team has been sorely missing Gylfi Sigurðsson and captain Aron Gunnarsson in the recent friendlies, which have failed to produce a victory.  Gylfi played the last two games, so is getting back to fitness but Aron is some way off the mark still.  A 20 year old hotshot striker Albert Guðmundsson (PSV Eindhoven) will be our secret weapon.

We will still smite Argentina one way or another

The goals that got us there

Grapevine keeping with the viking spirit

https://grapevine.is/culture/football/2018/06/12/how-well-smite-icelands-tactics-selection-dilemmas-predicted-starting-eleven/

Áfram Ísland

16 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

If Uruguay are to be darkhorses, they must improve loads on the tripe they managed during the last Copa America. Even Mexico beat them comfortably, and at the time Mexico were in a bit of a state.

They have an excellent CB pairing and strike partnership. It's what's between where they've lacked.

I wouldn’t give too much weight to the copa America. Chile won it but didn’t qualify for the World Cup and Brazil didn’t make it out of the group stage(I know they now have Tite)

Madness, but a big well done to Spain’s FA. Real Madrid could have waited on the announcement, but they think they’re bigger than Spain themselves so didn’t give two hoots.

Spain’s FA’s decision puts them in their place... But at what cost?

16 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Madness, but a big well done to Spain’s FA. Real Madrid could have waited on the announcement, but they think they’re bigger than Spain themselves so didn’t give two hoots.

Spain’s FA’s decision puts them in their place... But at what cost?

Don't see how Real Madrid have been put in their place.  They behaved just as they wished, signed up the Spanish manager, announced it on the eve of the World Cup and now they find he can start concentrating on Real Madrid sooner than expected.  Sounds like an ideal scenario for them. The Spanish FA has self harmed really, although you can understand their annoyance.

Not sure Lopetegui will prove a success though, I'd be surprised if he lasts 12 months at RM.

9 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Don't see how Real Madrid have been put in their place.  They behaved just as they wished, signed up the Spanish manager, announced it on the eve of the World Cup and now they find he can start concentrating on Real Madrid sooner than expected.  Sounds like an ideal scenario for them. The Spanish FA has self harmed really, although you can understand their annoyance.

Not sure Lopetegui will prove a success though, I'd be surprised if he lasts 12 months at RM.

I don’t think I can ever recall another situation like this, two days before a WC.

I don’t know how long Lopetegui’s contract is with Spain, but basically Real Madrid have had negotiations with him without the Spanish FA even knowing.

Are they even allowed to do this?

There were no signs that Lopetegui was going to step down after, so it was not like some pre-tournament agreement like Conte at Chelsea.

For all what I’ve read, it was suggested Lopetegui was in the Spain job for the longhaul. But two days before the WC he’s already taken another job without his employers knowing talks had even begun.

Imagine if England plan on having Southgate here to work with the players for projected the next six years. And tomorrow we find out he’s leaving for Man Utd after the WC. I think the FA will rightly be fuming that an English club have spoken to him without their knowledge and then announced it on the eve of the WC.

11 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don’t think I can ever recall another situation like this, two days before a WC.

I don’t know how long Lopetegui’s contract is with Spain, but basically Real Madrid have had negotiations with him without the Spanish FA even knowing.

Are they even allowed to do this?

There were no signs that Lopetegui was going to step down after, so it was not like some pre-tournament agreement like Conte at Chelsea.

For all what I’ve read, it was suggested Lopetegui was in the Spain job for the longhaul. But two days before the WC he’s already taken another job without his employers knowing talks had even begun.

Imagine if England plan on having Southgate here to work with the players for projected the next six years. And tomorrow we find out he’s leaving for Man Utd after the WC. I think the FA will rightly be fuming that an English club have spoken to him without their knowledge and then announced it on the eve of the WC.

Absolutely, it was seriously underhand behaviour by both Lopetegui and Real Madrid.  But I wonder if the Spanish FA would have been better just letting him remain on as coach until after the World Cup, they have time to find a successor afterwards.  I don't see how they have benefited by sacking him.  And I don't see how Real Madrid have been damaged by Lopetigui's removal, everyone already knows they simply do as they please.  They got what they wanted from this, and Spain's World Cup's mess is not going to bother Real Madrid much. 

Archived