World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I couldn’t see one, so thought I’d open a general World Cup 2018 thread so we can post all about the games as they’re going on.

Who do well fancy to win it?

I think this is one of the most hard to predict World Cups in years.

If I had to name one right now, I’d probably go for Brazil. They cruised qualification, in Gabriel Jesus and Firmino they finally have a top quality centre-forward, and defensively thet look much better. Courinho, Neymar and William for creativity... They’re in great form and they look pretty complete.

But then France, Spain and Germany all have the ability to beat them. Each have quality squads though Germany head into the tournament in poor form. Mexico in the first game will be interesting!

Obviously want England to do it, but failing them I’d probably route for Argentina just so we can end the is Messi the greatest debate. He is, but until he wins a World Cup, some will still throw that against him.

Belgium have plenty of quality, De Bruyne is sensational. But are they overrated? Roberto Martinez will set them up to attack so they should be entertaining.

Portugal IMO are underrated. They were average at Euro 2016, despite winning it, but they’ve got some quality youngsters who have improved since then. They could be a real surprise package.

Any fancy anyone else? Colombia? Uruguay? I reckon Peru will be tournement surprise package and reach the 1/4 finals.

Think Russia will flop. 

Very open world cup, I think it will probably be a very south American semis - probably 3 + Germany. 

Quite a few maybes on the periphery that with the right luck could do very well, England are one of them but don't see us getting past quarters. 

Uruguay to do well of the less fancied teams. Think they'll get to the semi-finals. Look like they have a good spine.

Don't think Belgium are all that. Martinez is a terrible manager. Out in the second round and think we'll beat them in the group.

Portugal my surprise to exit earlier than people think.

Germany in wretched form and "Gundo -gate" rumbles on as the crowd have turned on their players so they're nailed on finalists. 

Fancy France to have one of their periodic blowups as Deschamps doesn't pick the best plsyers- according to the unpicked players.

Brazil will flatter to deceive imo. Still think marcelo a weak link. 

England have potential but could flop badly. God help us if we think sterling will provide goals.

I'd like to see someone like Mexico do well. Perennial bridesmaids.

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Germany in wretched form and "Gundo -gate" rumbles on as the crowd have turned on their players so they're nailed on finalists. 

Fancy France to have one of their periodic blowups as Deschamps doesn't pick the best plsyers- according to the unpicked players.

Brazil will flatter to deceive imo. Still think marcelo a weak link. 

England have potential but could flop badly. God help us if we think sterling will provide goals.

I'd like to see someone like Mexico do well. Perennial bridesmaids.

Be silly to expect someone with 23 goals this year to score for us I guess... 

I think Brazil have to be up for this. Especially after Rio... 

Cavani top scored in South America qualifying didn't he? Must be worth a punt for golden boot. 

21 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Cavani top scored in South America qualifying didn't he? Must be worth a punt for golden boot. 

23 goals........out of how many chances. Have you checked the stats to see who he gets goals against?

spurs the only top half prem team......maybe he’ll be ok vs Belgium then. Otherwise it reads like he’s the football equivalent of a flat track bully. Put him up against international class defenders and the goals dry up, but he can turn it on against Ryan shawcross and co.

Think France will win, the final being against Germany.

I'm optimistic about England's hopes but even the optimist in me doesn't see us getting past France - despite the optimist in me being able to see us getting past Brazil.

I'm in a World Cup picker league thing (Its a bit odd, I put it down to American friends) and most people are basically going with the odds, but one guy has a Brazil v Colombia final, and I could really get behind that.

Actually I'm gonna swap Germany for Colombia in the final. I like Colombia.

England and Uruguay are my dark horses. Uruguay especially as they have a top quality player in every area of the pitch and play for a manager they are prepared to run through a brick wall for. Cavani and Suarez had the back end of last season to really concentrate mentally and physically on the World Cup as they had nothing to really play for so they can do a lot of damage to opposition.

Senegal could also be dark horses, Mane and Keita Balde could destroy teams on the counter attack and they have the world class defender Koulibaly at the back.

My semi final predictions: Spain v Germany- Germany to win

France v Brazil- Brazil to win

Final- Brazil v Germany- Brazil to win

3rd place play off- Spain v France- Spain to win.

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Me too, I can’t see anyone else in anywhere near as good form as Brazil or with the fire power up front. Spain are the only ones close but I have a feeling that many of their players will be fatigued after playing long hard seasons.

Cavani is a good shout, Gabriel Jesus is the one I think will win the golden boot.

What’s everyone’s ultimate World Cup 11?      Mine is 

Alisson

Kimmich  Varane   Ramos   Marcelo

Casemiro

Modric              Kroos

Griezmann  Gabriel Jesus   Neymar

Controversial to leave the likes of De Gea , Messi and Ronaldo out but this is based on the players who I think will have a good World Cup 

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

23 goals........out of how many chances. Have you checked the stats to see who he gets goals against?

spurs the only top half prem team......maybe he’ll be ok vs Belgium then. Otherwise it reads like he’s the football equivalent of a flat track bully. Put him up against international class defenders and the goals dry up, but he can turn it on against Ryan shawcross and co.

Eh? Cavani doesn’t play in the prem ... 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Me too, I can’t see anyone else in anywhere near as good form as Brazil or with the fire power up front. Spain are the only ones close but I have a feeling that many of their players will be fatigued after playing long hard seasons.

Cavani is a good shout, Gabriel Jesus is the one I think will win the golden boot.

Lots of very good teams. Few that stand out though at the moment. 

28 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Eh? Cavani doesn’t play in the prem ... 

Lots of very good teams. Few that stand out though at the moment. 

but sterling does and that was who your original comment was referring to wasn't it? in response to my expressed view that......to summarise

"at international level, I believe that Raheem Sterling has difficulty ensuring short, sharp contact between his metal-stringed strumming instrument and a bovine gluteus maximus".

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

but sterling does and that was who your original comment was referring to wasn't it? in response to my expressed view that......to summarise

"at international level, I believe that Raheem Sterling has difficulty ensuring short, sharp contact between his metal-stringed strumming instrument and a bovine gluteus maximus".

Good job we'll be playing some teams that might not be up to much then ay? 

If Belgium had a good manager, they would be my favourites to win. They have a fantastic squad packed with quality, but with that alongside their bottling reputation maybe not.

I fancy Germany over France because of how I saw France play the final of the Euros, which they definitely should have won but bottled.

Archived