Players that...

BaaLocks

1: Players that... looked really good but then ended up being utter rubbish

2: Players that... looked really utter rubbish but then ended up pleasantly surprising you

3: Players that... you were really excited when you heard we signed them but ended up being rather poor

4: Players that... underwhelmed you when you heard they had signed but ended up being far better than expected

My personal offering:

1: Bob Malcolm - from an imperious debut @ Wolves (a) to not knowing which end we were kicking towards. Glenn Skivington as an offering for the teenagers

2: Taribo West - very shaky first couple of games but from the Bradford game on he was the rock our season was built upon

3: Kinky - an enigmatic talent that simply never lived up to expectation, with honourable mention for Derek Hales

4: Marco Gabbiadini - thought he was washed up after his injury and we had bought a dud. I was wrong.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Hulse. Perhaps a bit harsh, but I just expected more from a player with that pedigree.

2. Paul Dickov. 7th choice at fester and only came on loan because savage talked him into it. Was actually a bit useful for three months. They were kind of dark days.

3. Anya. There is a useful player in there. Never really been seen in a Derby shirt.

4. Idiakez. ??? Who? Some aged slow Spanish midfielder... oh my...what a lovely creative player. One of my faves.

59 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

2: Players that... looked really utter rubbish but then ended up pleasantly surprising you

3: Players that... you were really excited when you heard we signed them but ended up being rather poor

4: Players that... underwhelmed you when you heard they had signed but ended up being far better than expected

My personal offering:

1: Bob Malcolm - from an imperious debut @ Wolves (a) to not knowing which end we were kicking towards. Glenn Skivington as an offering for the teenagers

2: Taribo West - very shaky first couple of games but from the Bradford game on he was the rock our season was built upon

3: Kinky - an enigmatic talent that simply never lived up to expectation, with honourable mention for Derek Hales

4: Marco Gabbiadini - thought he was washed up after his injury and we had bought a dud. I was wrong.

Don't think Kinky was poor, loved watching him play. I remember the 3-3 Sheff Wed game when we were 3-1 down going in to injury time. He came on with 15 mins to go, set up a goal with his first touch and ran the show...not many players could do that...

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

My personal offering:

My offerings are:

1. Vassilios Borbokis : Thought he looked class at Sheffield United, and he had a couple of good games against Wednesday and Everton then went crap!

2. Trevor Hebberd: Looked to slow for the first few games but had telepathic understanding supplying Dean Saunders ammunition.

3.Derek Hales : Ouch!

4. Darryl Powell: Sold Pembridge bought in some gangly unknown who was just Jim Smith's buddy. Wrong about that wasn't I!

17 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Don't think Kinky was poor, loved watching him play. I remember the 3-3 Sheff Wed game when we were 3-1 down going in to injury time. He came on with 15 mins to go, set up a goal with his first touch and ran the show...not many players could do that...

I think Kinky, Christie and Strupar did the same against Middlesbrough as well. 3-0 down with about 15 to go.

28 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

He was a class act. Was never started enough tho. Can remember the " we want kinky on" chant even after he left the club!

32 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I knew the Sheff Wed game would come up - didn't see it so can't comment. I just think, besides a couple of games, he just didn't change anything when he came on. The chant 'let's bring Kinky on' so often ended up with me thinking - what was that all about then?

Didn't help that he was overweight, didn't seem that bothered and rarely started. The following is a direct lift from his own Wikipedia page "Over the season, Kinkladze "showed little of the brilliance he was bought in to deliver" and was named Derby's biggest disappointment of the season by The Guardian".

Maybe I'm also loading on him the transfer fee (our record) and that he was part of the overpaid and underperforming bunch of mercenaries and dark times at the end of the TBE era that ultimately brought about our relegation but - for me - final answer, Georgi Kinkladze.

1: Players that... looked really good but then ended up being utter rubbish - Carbone, hope I spelled that right, just remember thinking wow what a signing then.. yeah 

2: Players that... looked really utter rubbish but then ended up pleasantly surprising you

Paul Dikov - what a work horse. Could be a few for this to be honest, reich, Bisgaard.

Rob Earnshaw - after him doing so well at Cardiff came here and just well did not hit the ground running, went forest and yeah... 

4: Players that... underwhelmed you when you heard they had signed but ended up being far better than expected

Curtis Davies, in recent times, knew he had something about him but after a few games showed he was still a rock 

1) Ravanelli. Started like a house on fire for a couple of months, then spent the rest of his contract like the fire brigade had been round and put him out.

2) Gary Teale. Was unmitigated crap for a couple of seasons, then had an Indian summer cutting in from the left. It was like watching Ted McMinn again for a spell.

3) Butterfield. Not for the level of excitement when he signed (I thought he was a good if not spectacular replacement for Hughes at the time), but for the disgust I've felt as his Derby career progressed and it became apparent that he's a coward and doesn't give a poo.

4) Jake Buxton. Bit part cover centre half to the epitome of cult hero. If we'd have won that final he'd have needed a statue outside the ground.

Lars Bohinen was a disappointment, as was that Bjorn Otto Bragstad that Jim Smith signed after performing well in the world cup (or was it the euros)

Wanchope was a pleasant surprise whereas his mate Solis who I think Jim Smith thought was the better player was underwhelming

Francois Grenet was another one - supposedly the second best right back in France and he was awful - To be fair a number of the signings from that period weren't great.

Poom was an underwhelming signing who turned out to be great.

But similarly that striker Murdo Mackay brought in from Coventry, whose name escapes me and scored loads of goals prior to joining, was cr*p. Ditto that Man City/Portsmouth striker who bought himself out of the army......

1: Players that... looked really good but then ended up being utter rubbish

Vas  Borbokis, bradley johnson, jacob butterfield

2: Players that... looked really utter rubbish but then ended up pleasantly surprising you

Chris powell, Jeff hendrick, Leighton james, 

Bobby campbell, gordon hill, tom lawrence, andy todd, john robertson, 

4: Players that... underwhelmed you when you heard they had signed but ended up being far better than expected

bruce rioch, curtis davies, alan biley

4 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

Lars Bohinen was a disappointment, as was that Bjorn Otto Bragstad that Jim Smith signed after performing well in the world cup (or was it the euros)

Wanchope was a pleasant surprise whereas his mate Solis who I think Jim Smith thought was the better player was underwhelming

Francois Grenet was another one - supposedly the second best right back in France and he was awful - To be fair a number of the signings from that period weren't great.

Poom was an underwhelming signing who turned out to be great.

But similarly that striker Murdo Mackay brought in from Coventry, whose name escapes me and scored loads of goals prior to joining, was cr*p. Ditto that Man City/Portsmouth striker who bought himself out of the army......

Stern John?

9 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Lee Morris 

:Christian Dailly

:Lee Mills

:Martin Kuhl (the midfield general to complete the team!)

: John Harkes

Ronnie Willams

20 minutes ago, Maxpowerrules81 said:

1: Players that... looked really good but then ended up being utter rubbish

Lee Morris 

:Christian Dailly

:Lee Mills

:Martin Kuhl (the midfield general to complete the team!)

: John Harkes

4: Players that... underwhelmed you when you heard they had signed but ended up being far better than expected

Ronnie Willams

9 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I loved watching him too just for his fantastic skill on the ball and his passing, but I also remember a Boxing Day game against Grimsby after we had been relegated when he was completely snuffed out by an 18 year old from their youth team, who I believe was called Edwards.

He was a genius, but a flawed genius.

18 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

My personal offering:

1: Marco Reich

2: Stephen Warnock and Chris Baird

3: Albentosa

4: Scott Carson

Archived