Unpopular opinions: Football but not DCFC

IlsonDerby

Really enjoy the thread on people's unpopular DCFC opinions so figured I'd make one for all unpopular football opinions not relating to us specifically. Could be England, could be the prem... anything other than DCFC. 

Mine: 

Gareth Southgate with a similar pool of talent available to that from the mid nineties through to the 'golden generation' would win a major tournament. 

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thread. Liverpool and Arsenal aren’t as big as their fans think they are.

Guardiola is a great manager but overrated at the same time(see Yaya Toure’s outburst). His failure to formulate a plan B also goes against him.

Sir Alex Ferguson is likewise a great manager but also overrated. 2 European cups in nearly 30 years is a poor record for a man of his stature. Zidane in 3 years won more European cups than Ferguson ever did.

32 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Sir Alex Ferguson is likewise a great manager but also overrated. 2 European cups in nearly 30 years is a poor record for a man of his stature. Zidane in 3 years won more European cups than Ferguson ever did.

And yet Fergie is better than Zidane will ever be in management. When did the European cup become everything? Winning the PL proves a whole lot more.

38 minutes ago, Andicis said:

And yet Fergie is better than Zidane will ever be in management. When did the European cup become everything? Winning the PL proves a whole lot more.

That wasn’t where I was going with my point, it was to more illustrate that Fergy underachieved with his European achievements. And the European cup is the ultimate trophy as it proves that you are the best team in Europe, of course it’s more prestigious than winning the premier league.

17 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

A trip to the Russian World cup as a fan might turn out to be a brilliant eye opening experience. Hopefully we hear about the positive stories.

There were similar worries ahead of Euro 2012 in Ukraine/Poland and the tournament ran smoothly so hopefully the Russian officials have taken note of what made their tournament successful.

40 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That wasn’t where I was going with my point, it was to more illustrate that Fergy underachieved with his European achievements. And the European cup is the ultimate trophy as it proves that you are the best team in Europe, of course it’s more prestigious than winning the premier league.

If that were true, then the FA Cup would prove who the best team in England is.

Knock-out tournaments are not a measure. They do not prove anything. 

It *is* more prestigious, but it doesn't prove anything. 

Bergkamps turn versus Newcastle was a fluke (even against his high standard of first touch) 

Beckham was a world class footballer first and his celebrity status makes people question this 

Alex Ferguson’s transfer record on players who were not already well proven was terrible 

Adebayors attitude stopped him being a better player than Thierry Henry 

Adama Traore is the best player in the championship by some stretch 

21 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

If that were true, then the FA Cup would prove who the best team in England is.

Knock-out tournaments are not a measure. They do not prove anything. 

It *is* more prestigious, but it doesn't prove anything. 

The winner of the champions league is named the best team in Europe, there’s no other way to assess who the best team is. Teams don’t take the FA cup as seriously as they once did whereas every team takes the champions league seriously. 

Jadon Sancho is more talented than every player in the England squad apart from Alli and Kane.

John Terry(in his prime) was overrated.

Ledley King was better than every English defender in the golden generation.

Owen Hargreaves and Carrick were underrated and we should have built the midfield around these two rather than Scholes, Becks, Lampard or Gerrard

Gazza was overrated. Peter Beardsley and Glen Hoddle were better(yes I know they played in different eras).

Guardiola is not a genius. Mourinho is a better manager.

Tony Pulis looks daft without a hat.

Premier League is the best league in the world.

La Liga is the most overhyped league because of the Barca and Real fanboys.

If England’s top clubs formed a European breakaway league it would kill English football. 

Sky Sports did not ruin football.

Monday and Friday football is great.

Liverpool are the most entertaining team to watch in Europe as a neutral under Klopp.

Liverpool and Celtic fans create the best atmospheres.

Football shirts without sponsors look poo.

Modern stadiums are much better than older run down grounds such as City Ground and Hillsbrough.

Leicester City winning the Premier League is the greatest thing to happen since the Premier League was formed.

Arsenal’s invincible are criminally underrated.

Any footballer can look good in a 5 minute YouTube reel, including Conor Sammon.

The FA need to keep Wembley.

England travelling around the country is rubbish, they need to play at Wembley.

VAR will be a great addition to the game once they have it sorted.

36 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Jadon Sancho is more talented than every player in the England squad apart from Alli and Kane.

Owen Hargreaves and Carrick were underrated and we should have built the midfield around these two rather than Scholes, Becks, Lampard or Gerrard

Gazza was overrated. Peter Beardsley and Glen Hoddle were better(yes I know they played in different eras).

I disagree with every single point of this. Built around Carrick rather than Scholes, Lampard or Gerrard? You have to be on a wind up. 

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I disagree with every single point of this. Built around Carrick rather than Scholes, Lampard or Gerrard? You have to be on a wind up. 

I Should have worded that better. The main problem in my eyes with the golden generation midfield is that the managers tried to fit them all into the same midfield. This detrimented the team as a whole and we ended up playing Scholes as a left midfielder and led to his retirement. What they should have done is played one of Hargreaves or Carrick as a defensive midfielder to provide a solid base then two of Lampard/Beckham/Scholes/Gerrard ahead of them to provide better balance. It’s not surprising that Gerrard and Lampard “could not play together” when they could not play their natural games as they didn’t know when to defend or attack, whereas Carrick or Hargreaves would have given them the platform to be more attacking.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I Should have worded that better. The main problem in my eyes with the golden generation midfield is that the managers tried to fit them all into the same midfield. This detrimented the team as a whole and we ended up playing Scholes as a left midfielder and led to his retirement. What they should have done is played one of Hargreaves or Carrick as a defensive midfielder to provide a solid base then two of Lampard/Beckham/Scholes/Gerrard ahead of them to provide better balance. It’s not surprising that Gerrard and Lampard “could not play together” when they could not play their natural games as they didn’t know when to defend or attack, whereas Carrick or Hargreaves would have given them the platform to be more attacking.

Was going to say! I was worried for a moment there! I am inclined to agree with you though, in hindsight they certainly should have been playing for a more holding midfielder, but then it's so difficult to drop one of the 4 mentioned, because they were all incredible players in their own right. I do think we'd have had more success that way though.

35 minutes ago, McLovin said:

So now after you telling me you're being paid to fire things up, do I have to ignore what you say, take it with a pinch of salt , or  maybe presume you're being honest?

No onion worthwhile on #!

Tend to agree on #2

Stop it with #3. he was waaaaaay too erratic.

No, we should have had a manager who could optimise the best out of S, B, L and G. Owen was a paper tiger.

Gazza was probably the best player we had in 25 years.

Beardles and Hoddle were both fantastic, but no, Hoddle played in a very similar role to Gazza. And Beardo was closer in style to how many imagine.

7 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

So now after you telling me you're being paid to fire things up, do I have to ignore what you say, take it with a pinch of salt , or  maybe presume you're being honest?

No onion worthwhile on #!

Tend to agree on #2

Stop it with #3. he was waaaaaay too erratic.

No, we should have had a manager who could optimise the best out of S, B, L and G. Owen was a paper tiger.

Gazza was probably the best player we had in 25 years.

Beardles and Hoddle were both fantastic, but no, Hoddle played in a very similar role to Gazza. And Beardo was closer in style to how many imagine.

These ones are deadly serious I promise. 

Opinion 1 on Sancho may seem silly now but in a few years I will be proved right. Sancho is already a regular for Dortmund and was a star for the England youth teams.

Opinion 2- nonissue here

Opinion 3- Disagree, Ledley King never trained but was still world class. All of his teammates said he would have been the best defender in the world if it wasn’t for his injuries

Opinion 4- Carrick or Hargreaves would have given us a greater chance of success as they would have provided a solid platform.

Opinion 5- Agree to disagree on this one. Gazza was poor in Italy and is more highly rated because of his form for england. I’d argue that Scholes was more talented than Gazza ever was in relation to the best player over the past 25 years, as was rooney and Owen.

7 hours ago, McLovin said:

This is one of the biggest myths in football. He played most of his caps for England in an attacking midfield role. 

7 hours ago, McLovin said:

These ones are deadly serious I promise. 

Opinion 1 on Sancho may seem silly now but in a few years I will be proved right. Sancho is already a regular for Dortmund and was a star for the England youth teams.

Opinion 2- nonissue here

Opinion 3- Disagree, Ledley King never trained but was still world class. All of his teammates said he would have been the best defender in the world if it wasn’t for his injuries

Opinion 4- Carrick or Hargreaves would have given us a greater chance of success as they would have provided a solid platform.

Opinion 5- Agree to disagree on this one. Gazza was poor in Italy and is more highly rated because of his form for england. I’d argue that Scholes was more talented than Gazza ever was in relation to the best player over the past 25 years, as was rooney and Owen.

Ledley King, without any doubt, would be spoken about in the same tone as Beckenbauer had he have not had his career ruined by injuries. He was the most magnificent defender. 

10 hours ago, David said:

Guardiola is not a genius. Mourinho is a better manager.

Agree. 100%. I want to see Pep work with a team where he doesn't have infinitely better resources than the rest of the league he's operating in, or have the best player in the world. 

Archived