John Terry - Appointed assistant manager at Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

But Lampard has as much managerial experience as Terry has coaching?!

Sure so it's more important that he has experienced staff around him, you want offset his inexperience.

Plus and I get this will sound odd but I'm more ok with an inexperienced manager than a completely rank new comer coaching the first team.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Sure so it's more important that he has experienced staff around him, you want offset his inexperience.

Plus and I get this will sound odd but I'm more ok with an inexperienced manager than a completely rank new comer coaching the first team.

I suppose it depends on how Frank sees it.

I can't imagine that Terry would hold back on giving an opinion direct to a player, if the way he and Lampard see the game if pretty much identical then maybe not such a problem, but the slightest difference between them could cause friction.

We've appointed one big voice, I can't see there being room for two.

They could be the next Clough and Taylor, but I suspect they'd be the next Clough and Clough, which wouldn't work nearly as well.

7 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I can't agree with your logic, but in the end I trust Frank to know what he needs. If that's Terry so be it, I'm not fussed either way, as I think he's still good for another year and has other qualities too.

He’s class, he’s never had pace so dont see age being too much of an issue. He’s one of my favourite defenders of all time can read the game & willing to head a boot & put his body on the line & a leader on the pitch. If the wage are right i dont see the issue for a year. Davies, terry & wisdom as our CB in a rotation would be brilliant 

5 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Oh! Sorry! 37 is it? Well then I take it all back! At that age, John Terry should add the perfect amount of pace into that back line to compliment Curtis Davies! 

The amount of knowledge and experience John Terry has accumulated over the years is vast. He just could be, half a century on, the new Dave Mackay.

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I can't agree with your logic, but in the end I trust Frank to know what he needs. If that's Terry so be it, I'm not fussed either way, as I think he's still good for another year and has other qualities too.

That's fair enough.

I should rephrase my stance if Lampard wants Terry to come in, I'll back it but I'll be sceptical. 

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Exactly the right attitude. Given the vast majority of us are intrigued and positive about frank we should give our own rhetoric some substance by backing his decisions. 

2 hours ago, eddie said:

The amount of knowledge and experience John Terry has accumulated over the years is vast. He just could be, half a century on, the new Dave Mackay.

Half a century on and if he’s half as good he’s a great signing ?

4 hours ago, G-Ram said:

He’s class, he’s never had pace so dont see age being too much of an issue. He’s one of my favourite defenders of all time can read the game & willing to head a boot & put his body on the line & a leader on the pitch. If the wage are right i dont see the issue for a year. Davies, terry & wisdom as our CB in a rotation would be brilliant 

Exactly , he didn't have pace when he was labelled as one of the best defenders in the world . If there's a chance to sign him and the deal works for the club then I'd absolutely jump a the chance. Still a top player and I can't think of many better centre Half's at this level. 

10 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Oh! Sorry! 37 is it? Well then I take it all back! At that age, John Terry should add the perfect amount of pace into that back line to compliment Curtis Davies! 

Can't believe you wouldn't want him here if the deals right for the club , he's absolute class still.

Can't be arsed to cut through all the hand-wringing so just popped by to say this is great news. The man's a born leader and is fantastic with the younger players. Villa mates say he was solid, if indeed he'll be playing not coaching, but my understanding is he'll be assistant to Frank. The experience and connections these guys bring can't be underestimated.

And @Nuwtfly he's 37, not 39. 

51 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Can't be arsed to cut through all the hand-wringing so just popped by to say this is great news. The man's a born leader and is fantastic with the younger players. Villa mates say he was solid, if indeed he'll be playing not coaching, but my understanding is he'll be assistant to Frank. The experience and connections these guys bring can't be underestimated.

I can't see him wanting to be a number 2 86 to be honest , he's always been a leader and a great player in my view but just can't see him being happy as a number 2

57 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Don’t make me copy and paste my arsey, sarcastic comment! 

Archived