John Terry - Appointed assistant manager at Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

A back 3 of Keogh Davies and Terry would be good for next season.

With Wisdom and Lowe as wingbacks they'll make up for the lack of legs.

Terry wouldn't be mobile enough to play a back three 

Terry as player is the complete antithesis of players we should be targeting. His age and mobility would be highly restrictive on playing the high line necessary for a high tempo pressing game plan. 

That's before you go into that we need to reduce the size, average age and wage bill of the squad. And that central defence is the least of our concerns right now. 

Even if Davies went I wouldn't look towards Terry, we need someone youngish who can develop at the club.

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Even if Davies went I wouldn't look towards Terry, we need someone youngish who can develop at the club.

But if we got a decent young centre half in who would you prefer to bring them through?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

But if we got a decent young centre half in who would you prefer to bring them through?

Isn't that the job of whoever we bring in to the coaching staff ? 

We have 2 good championship centre backs and one competent one. All three in their thirties and all three with plenty of experience. That's before you get into that Wisdom can play there. Beyond that i' d rather be looking for players to come in and develop or use the academy.

As a coach I wouldn't be entirely opposed to Terry coming in but I'd be a little cautious of it looking like "jobs for mates" and would rather someone with experience coaching come in.

TobyWanKenobi
16 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

We're absolutely bonkers if we bring him in as a player.

That's what people said about Dave Mackay.

And ooooh aaaaah, Paul McGrath too now I think about it.

14 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Isn't that the job of whoever we bring in to the coaching staff ? 

We have 2 good championship centre backs and one competent one. All three in their thirties and all three with plenty of experience. 

I'd be happy to swap (sell) them for JT. Do you think that experience on the pitch isn't worth bothering with then?

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'd be happy to swap (sell) them for JT. Do you think that experience on the pitch isn't worth bothering with then?

Of course not but you have to balance that against other qualities in a player. It doesn't matter how much experience a player has if they are liability because they can move or react quick enough.

Put it this way with Keogh and Davies you could play a high line and press high up the pitch, looking to take the game to the opponent and play in there half. Replace one with Terry and you can't play that same high line because all a team had to do is chip one over his head and have a foot race. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't know how Villa managed then?

By having a deepish line and playing on the break.... 

Plus Villa could afford to have player like Terry kicking around the squad whereas in our current situation I don't think we can.

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

By having a deepish line and playing on the break.... 

Plus Villa could afford to have player like Terry kicking around the squad whereas in our current situation I don't think we can.

I think if Lamps wants him he wouldn't be 'kicking around' he's be no1 choice. Plus a major point might be if he could help Lamps in his first season of management, then I'd sell Davies and/or Keogh and see what else can be done.

I think if Frank brings in Jody Morris, that's enough mate's, imo.

Other backroom staff Frank knows will probably come in too, I think he'd risk looking insecure, rightly or wrongly, if he bought Terry in as a player.

If Terry wanted to gain some coaching experience only, I wouldn't be against it, but a return to Chelsea would make more sense in that case.

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think if Lamps wants him he wouldn't be 'kicking around' he's be no1 choice. Plus a major point might be if he could help Lamps in his first season of management, then I'd sell Davies and/or Keogh and see what else can be done.

But you see that's a problem in my eyes because I think as a team it would be a backwards step. We'd be less equipped to play on the front foot, taking the game to the opponent if you replace Davies or Keogh with Terry because we'd be far far more susceptible to counter attacks and quick breaks.

If Lampard needs anyone to help him I'd want someone coming into the coaching team and someone with experience to help with Lampard doesn't have any. 

Just now, brady1993 said:

If Lampard needs anyone to help him I'd want someone coming into the coaching team and someone with experience to help with Lampard doesn't have any. 

Maybe Terry would do both? Anyway if we trust Lampard to be our manager we trust him to know what help he needs.

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I think if Frank brings in Jody Morris, that's enough mate's, imo.

Other backroom staff Frank knows will probably come in too, I think he'd risk looking insecure, rightly or wrongly, if he bought Terry in as a player.

If Terry wanted to gain some coaching experience only, I wouldn't be against it, but a return to Chelsea would make more sense in that case.

Exactly. Plus there is the whole slightly strange dynamic of that Terry has been Lampard's captain for a substantial chunk of both of their careers and that could cause problems or at least muddy the detachment that a manager needs from their squad.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Maybe Terry would do both? Anyway if we trust Lampard to be our manager we trust him to know what help he needs.

Like i said as a coach I don't mind it too much but I'd rather we went with someone that doesn't scream "a job for a mate".

But what will be will be.

Just now, brady1993 said:

Like i said as a coach I don't mind it too much but I'd rather we went with someone that doesn't scream "a job for a mate".

But what will be will be.

Indeed what will be... but jobs for mates when its Terry or Morris is a bit different to when its Summerfield or Poole don't you think?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Indeed what will be... but jobs for mates when its Terry or Morris is a bit different to when its Summerfield or Poole don't you think?

I disagree. I think there is a difference between a new manager bringing in coaching staff he's worked with and trusts to bringing in a friend  and former team mate who hasn't coached before into a coaching role or to be a presence in the dressing room.

Jody Morris is a different kettle of fish though because he has got the CV as a coach to back up the appointment and honestly might be a bigger coup than Lampard.

6 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I disagree. I think there is a difference between a new manager bringing in coaching staff he's worked with and trusts to bringing in a friend  and former team mate who hasn't coached before into a coaching role or to be a presence in the dressing room.

But Lampard has as much managerial experience as Terry has coaching?!

Archived