John Terry - Appointed assistant manager at Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

Terry on a free and an aging Davies goes to Stoke for a decent fee giving us a bit of rebuild/bank money. Win win? 

Davies the better player but no guarantee that either will stay injury free all season, Also Terry sorting Keogh, helping beat our January droop (something Davies couldn't do), and working for FL might make him a better option.

Thinking medium term, when Lamps inevitably leaves us, and takes Morris with him, maybe we could keep Terry as a replacement boss?

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Terry comes in then it will be a dead certainty that Davies will be leaving as they are both left centre backs. A real shame as he was one of the best players last season. We need to be clearing out the deadwood, not one of our best players.

People keep mentioning the leadership that Terry would bring in, but Davies also provides the leadership and knows the dressing room already. I highly doubt that Davies has a release clause either as that was specifically in relation to Hull’s relegation.

Even at his best I’d say that Terry was overrated. He was carried a lot by Carvalho and Gallas at Chelsea and he turned to poo when they left and it is not surprise that Man Utd then started their dominance. Even when Mourinho came in for his second spell, he had to have Azpilicueta(who wouldn’t move further than 10 yards ahead of Terry at all times) right next to him to prevent Terry being exposed. Terry was also crap for England when Rio didn’t play alongside him. His leadership skills are brilliant but as a player, not as good as people thought he was. 

Terry also has moments of pure stupidity and mistakes in him. If you think Keogh makes mistakes, you’re going to love Terry(not).

I was sceptical at first, but they more I think about it the more I’m sold on the idea.

People focusing on his age, wages, or the supposed nepotism are completely missing the point. 

The guy is a world class leader on and off the pitch. His experience, influence on the squad, and support for Frank will be priceless.  

13 minutes ago, McLovin said:

If Terry comes in then it will be a dead certainty that Davies will be leaving as they are both left centre backs. A real shame as he was one of the best players last season. We need to be clearing out the deadwood, not one of our best players.

People keep mentioning the leadership that Terry would bring in, but Davies also provides the leadership and knows the dressing room already. I highly doubt that Davies has a release clause either as that was specifically in relation to Hull’s relegation.

Left cb / right cb is a myth perpetuated by football manager games. If you're a top centre back then you're a top centre back. It doesn't matter whether you're left or right footed or prefer to play on either side it's about how you work in partnership. If you play three at the back then who is the centre centre back ? if it's neither of those two!?! 

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Terry also has moments of pure stupidity and mistakes in him. If you think Keogh makes mistakes, you’re going to love Terry(not).

But as you point out centre backs are all about pairings. So if he came it would be Terry and … Then together you get better than both separate.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Even at his best I’d say that Terry was overrated. He was carried a lot by Carvalho and Gallas at Chelsea and he turned to poo when they left and it is not surprise that Man Utd then started their dominance. Even when Mourinho came in for his second spell, he had to have Azpilicueta(who wouldn’t move further than 10 yards ahead of Terry at all times) right next to him to prevent Terry being exposed. Terry was also crap for England when Rio didn’t play alongside him. His leadership skills are brilliant but as a player, not as good as people thought he was. 

I suppose you really rated Claude Davies, judging by your knowledge here. 

I think if this is happening Curtis will go which I’m sad about given his impact this season. 

As for questioning the potential signing of JT, can’t believe people are moaning already. FL has been in the job 4 days!! 

Also, the older generation (not me) will remember a similar signing...Dave Mackay anyone?

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I don't think a trade of Davies for Terry is a good one. Davies was probably the best defender in the league this season. 

Come on , he wasn't ! Maybe for the last 10 games but for the whole season ? Keogh was better up untill Xmas. Unbelievable that people don't want Terry he's class still and if we get a fee for Davies it's a win win , bring a young defender in to learn from Terry. 

1 minute ago, RiddingsRam said:

Come on , he wasn't ! Maybe for the last 10 games but for the whole season ? Keogh was better up untill Xmas. Unbelievable that people don't want Terry he's class still and if we get a fee for Davies it's a win win , bring a young defender in to learn from Terry. 

But why would we fix what wasn't broken? Keogh and Davies had a great partnership, we have bigger problems to address than those two. Davies was bloody brilliant for us, so why change it? It's just taking an unnecessary risk.

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

But why would we fix what wasn't broken? Keogh and Davies had a great partnership, we have bigger problems to address than those two. Davies was bloody brilliant for us, so why change it? It's just taking an unnecessary risk.

Flip it around though ! If Davies is off to Stoke with the Roger the snake , for a fee and Terry comes in on the same money but for no fee it's a no brainer !

2 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Flip it around though ! If Davies is off to Stoke with the Roger the snake , for a fee and Terry comes in on the same money but for no fee it's a no brainer !

Sure, but that's speculation. As of now, with Davies as our player, I'd rather pass on Terry and hold onto Curtis.

39 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

What about Paul McGrath in the good old Jom Smith season. He had no knee caps left, but was an inspired signing for that particular season. 

Remember his debut against Newcastle at the BBG. Outstanding, didn’t give Shearer a kick apart from once in the game where shearer stole barely half a yard on the turn 20 yards from goal, drove it like a bullet in the bottom corner. Lost 1-0! Excellent contest, showed McGrath still had it at 36/37 with no knees, but also showed what a bloody fantastic striker Shearer was.

Archived