John Terry - Appointed assistant manager at Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"But Terry will have to take a massive wage cut with the Rams eyeing big savings this summer."

If he is put on similar wages to the likes of Davies and Huddlestone I'd be OK with it. He's a natural leader, has been great at Villa helping their younger players and there's no way the dressing room would go against anything Frank says with him involved 

The article says he was on around 60k at Villa and our top earners are on around half of that. If we can get him to join for near 30k for a season I'd be quite happy with that. He doesn't exactly fit in with the signing of younger players for the future, but it's John bloody Terry. The difference he makes to teams is huge 

Is that whole story based off this one line?

“He will definitely be there for me. We are close”

There for him how? He could just mean supportive as a friend, not necessarily working for the club in any capacity.

Surely we aren’t paying Lampard £2m a year? ?

IF he comes, which I expect he won’t. Would be to earn his coaching badges and perhaps provide cover. He’s had big offers from China and USA to play. I suspect he will have a year or two abroad. Take the cash, then come back and try his hand at managing. He has zero chance of a career in media, so if he wants to stay in football, it’s his only option. I suspect he may be rather good at it too. Certainly motivational enough at least 

1 hour ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Don’t have a problem if this turns out to be true!

Wages etc aren’t my concern that is up to Mel and his staff, from a leadership POV who else out there is better than John Terry. 

so it wouldnt bother you if we get a points reductio

As an addition to the coaching staff? No problem.

As an addition to the squad? Alarm bells would ring. It would instantly contradict statements of bringing through youth and correcting the balance of the squad.

Granted, Terry is and was a fantastic defender and got rave reviews at Villa this  past season but what was an expensive experiment ultimately failed.

We would be daft to go down the same route. He is one year older with one year’s additional mileage on the clock. 

Keogh and Davies at this level are more than adequate.

12 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Why would we get a points reduction?

He specifically said "reductio".

Archived