John Terry - Appointed assistant manager at Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

id find it hard to choose between davies and terry. Davies should be a real role model for youngsters and im sure he will make a good defensive coach and/or member of backroom staff at clubs in the future. He comes across incredibly honest and professional.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, but I'm still far from convinced that Terry and Davies couldn't play in the same side, especially if we have a decent/mobile DM in front of them, and another decent/mobile defender alongside them. 

Terry was never the quickest/most mobile anyway, even in his heyday. His other attributes - reading of the game, courage etc, are far more important and I doubt they've been blunted by age. 

According to everyone at Villa, he had just as much influence off the pitch, as he did on it.

What with FL as well, the confidence and team spirit would be off the scale.

In certain matches last season, it looked like we had lost our way - that would certainly be a 

thing of the past!

Davies and Terry with Huddlestone in front of them... And this is the new attacking energetic youthful side we have been promised?

He'll be 38 in December, will cost us over 1.5 million in wages alone should he even take 30k a week, everyone's extolling his leadership qualities but failing to mention his baggage and history? Curtis Davies has been a true leader throughout his career and I'd much rather keep him, or use the money to sign someone with some actual resale value or future in the game like a Scott McKenna.

Terry at this level is a great signing. I worry about the people clambouring for us signing external youngsters rather than Terry. The impact he could have on our own youngsters is far greater than hoping a random 20 year old centre back from league 1/2/spl/sfl is championship quality on the back of a decent season. Just because Terry is our first signing, doesn’t mean we are aiming to sign 38 year olds as a policy. It just means Lampard trusts him to be a solid signing. 

8 hours ago, lukedcfc said:

This is going to happen isnt it, not against it but I think Davies will be gone which will be a shame. I don't think Davies and terry would work, terry has always relied on a quick player beside him. 

I hope not Davies was the best centre half in the division last season.

9 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

I hope not Davies was the best centre half in the division last season.

Totally agree. For me Davies, along perhaps with Carson, are the 2 'must keep' players we have currently. Wouldn't worry me if the rest were sold or loaned out and then Frank can bring in who he thinks we need....

As a short term signing this could work. I think Terry would be incredibly committed knowing that he is playing for Frank and to be his captain on the field. Its about blend, we need to bring in some younger, more mobile aggressive players in midfield and forward areas . He could do exactly the same sort of job Dave Mackay did for us, which is both on the field and around the club generally. A leader and a winner

I'm Deffo in the camp of bringing in Terry as long as his wages aren't so high it affects our chances of bringing in anybody else.

I understand everybodys stance of Davies and Terry but I think they could be good together.. pace isn't everything from a centre back In the championship. They are both proper defenders and readers of the game.

Still convinced Davies will go to stoke for a few £million and we will have Terry and Keogh and bring in a younger  CB to learn from these 2.

Archived