John Terry - Appointed assistant manager at Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

https://talksport.com/football/frank-lampard-could-sign-john-terry-chelsea-legends-derby-manager

This is as insightful as you can get, especially the last comment: 'there's been a few players that have been around too long that he will probably need to move on.'

I wonder who he means, eh......... ?

It also does absolutely nothing at all, but convince me that John Terry will be a Derby player next season. 

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, reveldevil said:

We've appointed one big voice, I can't see there being room for two.

Exactly what I was thinking. Frank needs to be the boss. He's spent his entire career with JT as his captain. 

If he brings in JT I hope it doesn't undermine his position.

7 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Frank needs to be the boss. He's spent his entire career with JT as his captain. 

If he brings in JT I hope it doesn't undermine his position.

how will it i think if lampard had any doubt about that, he would if say no straight away! lampard will know terry is a true professional and a very good friend of his will be there as a player and as a voice of experience if lampard needs any help with anything! 

10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

https://talksport.com/football/frank-lampard-could-sign-john-terry-chelsea-legends-derby-manager

This is as insightful as you can get, especially the last comment: 'there's been a few players that have been around too long that he will probably need to move on.'

I wonder who he means, eh......... ?

It also does absolutely nothing at all, but convince me that John Terry will be a Derby player next season. 

“Some have been here too long & want moving on” can only think of Keogh 

“what a signing john terry would be” ??

12 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

We really don't need him on the pitch and certainly not with his wage demands plus Curtis was better this season anyway... so no for me

What are his wage demands and how do you know?

Or are you thinking about his wages at other clubs?

17 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

Of course at other clubs, 70k a week last season even with a severe pay cut he's going to be our top earner, when we are supposed to be cutting the wage bill.

If he wants one last good pay deal, he'll probably go to play in America for a season, but if he wants to work with his mate and get into the coaching side of the game, he'll take a big pay cut.

8 minutes ago, ossieram said:

If he wants one last good pay deal, he'll probably go to play in America for a season, but if he wants to work with his mate and get into the coaching side of the game, he'll take a big pay cut.

I agree 100%

Don't underestimate the value of his experience and leadership to both the team and any young lads coming through.  His wage would have to be right for the club but if it is then to me it's a no brainier.  Hope it doesn't mean Curtis moving on though because I think he was outstanding for most of last season. 

49 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

Of course at other clubs, 70k a week last season even with a severe pay cut he's going to be our top earner, when we are supposed to be cutting the wage bill.

The report from the Daily Star that claimed we're signing him said he was on 60k a week for Villa and would be halving that to join us. 30k a week is probably in line with our top earners, Huddlestone, Davies etc. so not too bad

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

The report from the Daily Star that claimed we're signing him said he was on 60k a week for Villa and would be halving that to join us. 30k a week is probably in line with our top earners, Huddlestone, Davies etc. so not too bad

Think I’d be happy with that. Especially if their are clubs with an eye on one or both of our current central defenders. 

I find it funny how there are some posters on here that are all:

’yay, Lampard our manager.’

’yay, he’s bring Jody Morris to bring the youth through.’

’ffs, John ducking Terry, we’re suppose to be bringing the average age down, so much for bringing the youth through, boo, Lampard out.’

I say, ‘calm down guys, it’s one player, and a unique opportunity to bring someone into the club that can bring an awful lot in terms of leadership and experience, that will actually benefit the younger players in the team, never mind that he’s still an outstanding defender in his own right.

Rules are made to be broken, and for someone like Terry the ‘youth first’ policy can be broken.

As long as it is only one player, and we don’t end up filling the squad with ex Chelsea has beens instead of new chelsea youth loans.

1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

Think I’d be happy with that. Especially if their are clubs with an eye on one or both of our current central defenders. 

I find it funny how there are some posters on here that are all:

’yay, Lampard our manager.’

’yay, he’s bring Jody Morris to bring the youth through.’

’ffs, John ducking Terry, we’re suppose to be bringing the average age down, so much for bringing the youth through, boo, Lampard out.’

I say, ‘calm down guys, it’s one player, and a unique opportunity to bring someone into the club that can bring an awful lot in terms of leadership and experience, that will actually benefit the younger players in the team, never mind that he’s still an outstanding defender in his own right.

Rules are made to be broken, and for someone like Terry the ‘youth first’ policy can be broken.

As long as it is only one player, and we don’t end up filling the squad with ex Chelsea has beens instead of new chelsea youth loans.

I like the idea too. He's still a top defender at this level, proved to be very good for the young Villa players last season, would be a huge help for connection between Lampard and the dressing room and is a natural leader. My main worry though is that I can't see Davies and Terry working as a back 2 just because there's such a lack of pace between them 

The negatives outweigh the positives for me.

Positives :  expexperience at the highest level, available with no fee, big pals with the manager

Negatives :  big pals with the manager so could be viewed by the squad (particularly the more experienced players) as 'the teachers pet' and likely to carry tales, probably on a huge wage which reduces Lampards' budget for more urgent positions in the team, age (37) so goes against the need to move to a younger squad, short-term fix but to a problem which doesn't exist, any loss of form by him and I just can't see Lampard dropping him so a problem for both of them ((increasing the pressure and spotlight on the manager due to the high level of media attention which is certain to accompany his signing).

Definitely NOT for me because it would have all the makings of Lampards' first job in management being that much more difficult - I want him to succeed.

6 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

The negatives outweigh the positives for me.

Positives :  expexperience at the highest level, available with no fee, big pals with the manager

Negatives :  big pals with the manager so could be viewed by the squad (particularly the more experienced players) as 'the teachers pet' and likely to carry tales, probably on a huge wage which reduces Lampards' budget for more urgent positions in the team, age (37) so goes against the need to move to a younger squad, short-term fix but to a problem which doesn't exist, any loss of form by him and I just can't see Lampard dropping him so a problem for both of them ((increasing the pressure and spotlight on the manager due to the high level of media attention which is certain to accompany his signing).

Definitely NOT for me because it would have all the makings of Lampards' first job in management being that much more difficult - I want him to succeed.

I don’t see it that way though. I think he’s probably too old to be playing 3 times a week in the championship. I think it’s more likely he’d be the first reserve off the bench. He’d be more of a player / coach. Is that an expensive luxury? I don’t know, it’s not my money.

Hell, I’d be happy for Lampard to get himself a squad number, just in case, but I wouldn’t expect him to start every game. 

Archived