Jacob Butterfield - my insane prediction

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Right since day 1 I have stuck up for Butterfield, I am convinced he has been the victim of derby county managers playing him too deep and stopping him playing to his strengths, which are in the opposition half playing killer balls or shooting.

If we get Lampard in my prediction is we play more attacking football, our midfield will play in the middle of the pitch if not further up and we will finally see why we spunked millions on Butterfield.

Book Mark, so that when we will sell him for 250k to Rotherham you can all laugh at me.

I was watching the Alan Hinton interview the other day. In it he was talking about BD's strategy when buying players.

Look for players in the 26 to 30 age range who are performing at a level lower than they previously were because his belief was they were in all likelihood unhappy where they were. Then you bring them into a new environment where they're believed in and feel wanted and you can get them back to previous levels.

Butterfield sounds like a Clough buy to me. I wasn't on this forum when we signed him, but I didn't get the impression that people thought he was a bad buy, in fact the film I saw had me excited.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right since day 1 I have stuck up for Butterfield, I am convinced he has been the victim of derby county managers playing him too deep and stopping him playing to his strengths, which are in the opposition half playing killer balls or shooting.

The other problem he's had is Chris Martin. To get the best out of Butterfield, you need mobile players running off him to get on the end of his through balls, or to create space for him to shoot. To get the best out of Chris Martin you need... mobile players running off him to get on the end of his flicks and layoffs, or to create space for him to shoot.  So if you put the pair of them together as a striker dropping off the front/attacking midfielder pair, they just get in each other's way and don't provide what the other needs to flourish,  Compare that to say Bryson with Martin - Bryson doesn't have Butterfields through balls or consistency of shooting from distance, but he and Martin complement each other perfectly.  Likewise, I'd be interested to see what say Butterfield and Jerome could do, provided the rest of the team was set up to suit too.

If we get Lampard in my prediction is we play more attacking football, our midfield will play in the middle of the pitch if not further up and we will finally see why we spunked millions on Butterfield.

Book Mark, so that when we will sell him for 250k to Rotherham you can all laugh at me.

Bookmarked

20 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The other problem he's had is Chris Martin. To get the best out of Butterfield, you need mobile players running off him to get on the end of his through balls, or to create space for him to shoot. To get the best out of Chris Martin you need... mobile players running off him to get on the end of his flicks and layoffs, or to create space for him to shoot.  So if you put the pair of them together as a striker dropping off the front/attacking midfielder pair, they just get in each other's way and don't provide what the other needs to flourish,  Compare that to say Bryson with Martin - Bryson doesn't have Butterfields through balls or consistency of shooting from distance, but he and Martin complement each other perfectly.  Likewise, I'd be interested to see what say Butterfield and Jerome could do, provided the rest of the team was set up to suit too.

I think this is the key to football in general. Players always work better with complimentary strengths. You could have a team of average individuals but if the skill sets match in groups of players you suddenly have a TEAM which on paper performs above individual stats. 

2 hours ago, NorwichLad said:

According to Wikipedia you spent £5m on Jacob Butterfield ?

Please tell me that isn't true? 

Was a Norwich reserve player 2 years before that, where he did absolutely nothing in his few cup appearances.... and nothing out on loan... and then went to Middlesbrough where I thought he struggled to keep his place in the side.

Were quite excited to sign him at first but looked pants in his few appearances. Apparently ambidextrous.... looked more like he had two left feet. That's probably being a little bit too harsh, but looked very 'one paced' for a supposed attacking midfielder.... if you haven't got a turn of pace you are probably better suited as a deeper playmaker, but not if you are a complete lightweight. 

Never worked the kid out, was well down the pecking order with us. 

Did he have an amazing season with Huddersfield something before you signed him?

His agents were wasserman group.

that was good enough for us.

P.s. Insane prediction no2 - i think he could make a right wing back  in the mould of jeff kenna. He just looked lost in holding midfield and ended up going backwards - literally and metaphorically.

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

His agents were wasserman group.

that was good enough for us.

P.s. Insane prediction no2 - i think he could make a right wing back  in the mould of jeff kenna. He just looked lost in holding midfield and ended up going backwards - literally and metaphorically.

Have you been on holiday?

Just to bring you up to date we lost to Fulham in the play off semi final and Rowett has turned into a snake.

2 hours ago, NorwichLad said:

According to Wikipedia you spent £5m on Jacob Butterfield ?

Please tell me that isn't true? 

Was a Norwich reserve player 2 years before that, where he did absolutely nothing in his few cup appearances.... and nothing out on loan... and then went to Middlesbrough where I thought he struggled to keep his place in the side.

Were quite excited to sign him at first but looked pants in his few appearances. Apparently ambidextrous.... looked more like he had two left feet. That's probably being a little bit too harsh, but looked very 'one paced' for a supposed attacking midfielder.... if you haven't got a turn of pace you are probably better suited as a deeper playmaker, but not if you are a complete lightweight. 

Never worked the kid out, was well down the pecking order with us. 

Did he have an amazing season with Huddersfield something before you signed him?

You are absolutely correct and my assessment as well - we were barking to have paid more than £500,000 for him and he is one of those we are taking a huge loss on along with Anya and Blackman and Johnson altough Johnson has at least tried but he is very limited 

43 minutes ago, jono said:

I think this is the key to football in general. Players always work better with complimentary strengths. You could have a team of average individuals but if the skill sets match in groups of players you suddenly have a TEAM which on paper performs above individual stats. 

One of the most ridiculous posts I have ever read on here. Football is all about getting big name players who can operate individually doing solo tricks that can create goals out of nothing.

Players who can't do this straight away must be subjected to ridicule and hatred. The only chance they can be accepted is if they are surrounded by 9-10 other in-form players, then one of our Einsteins starts saying they are good to appear like they know more than us.

Remember when John 'Useless' Eustace joined us. A waste of a shirt who couldn't dribble or do any fancy skills. When we started doing well with him, the Einsteins all claimed he was important to the team, even after slagging him off when 'Non-league' Nigel signed him.

Remember when all the Einsteins said we'll never make top 6 with a joke player like Buxton in the team?

There are 2 types of players. Great ones and poo ones. And it's easy for a great one to turn to poo if they have a bad injury/a bad game.

Wrong player for us. Always has been. Even when he was scoring we were a poorer team, him and Johnson didn’t have the energy to play 4-3-3, Martin started to get isolated and it all went Pete Tong. Even when we were 2nd we  didnt deserve to be there.

He can’t tackle. He’s a lightweight, has no energy or pace. Does have quick feet and occasionally an eye for a pass. Only place in the team that might suit him is as a number 10, but is he really going to get that opportunity here? 

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Everyone should start pre-season with a clean slate from the manager & the fans.

Yes, very important considering there won't be any significant influx of players coming to the club.

11 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Agree, there’s a proper player in there somewhere. 

I have thought so for a long time, you’re not on your own @MackworthRamIsGod

18 hours ago, Andicis said:

Awful signing. Seem to remember him saying less than complimentary stuff about Derby before he went to Wednesday, where he also failed and their fans hated him. Needs to be moved on for his good and for our good too. 

I won’t knock him for saying what most fans were thinking about Rowetts style of football. 

Being a tiny midfielder, good with both feet, excellent passing ability and asked to pretty much chase knock downs from long balls. That’d wind me up no end. 

I think JB has “issues”; he never smiles and always looks tense and unhappy. It’s also not too “strategic” to defecate on one’s own doorstep ie take a swipe at your current employer when you’re only out on loan. Still, at the top of the diamond he was playing well for HTFC and maybe he can rebuild himself but for me he’d be better at Rotherham for £250 k and a proportion of any future sell-on fee just in case Southgate takes a shine to him. 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I think JB has “issues”; he never smiles and always looks tense and unhappy. It’s also not too “strategic” to defecate on one’s own doorstep ie take a swipe at your current employer when you’re only out on loan. Still, at the top of the diamond he was playing well for HTFC and maybe he can rebuild himself but for me he’d be better at Rotherham for £250 k and a proportion of any future sell-on fee just in case Southgate takes a shine to him. 

I have literally got a scowl on my face 24/7 and am so monotonal any thanks/appreciation sounds like sarcasm. 

Im genuinely such a happy guy. I feel butterfields pain. We’re not all born able to smile hahah

22 hours ago, jono said:

Everyone gets a second chance in my book.

can pass accurately, can control a ball and can shoot. Never looked strong or gritty  enough to me and lacked speed of reaction.

But players develop. If he is in the team we need to give him a lift. Getting on players backs never helps. 

Good points. Look at Vydra- his second season with us didn’t go badly. 

Archived