"The Derby Way"

rynny

9 hours ago, rynny said:

Now that we have had a year of football that was more a case of must not lose instead of must win, we are seeing more and more people wanting to go back to The Derby Way, to have an identity we can be proud of and get behind.

7806787A-75F6-4ED1-9B24-F95B92957D5B.gif

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@rynny come down from there mate, put the microphone down. Lets get you back to the hospital, they're worried about you. 

You'll be better soon, promise. 

I agreed with ‘the Derby way’ philosophy and the intent behind it, what I don’t understand is the constant hiring of managers with totally different footballing methods some of which contradict it.

Not so long ago our squad was full of small built number ten’s, now it’s full of older players who play without tempo.

If it is Frank who comes in he’s got to be given time the same as it appeared Gary the snake was being given.

• 2 years later...

Gravel.

Porridge.

Effort before eloquence.

Midfield is a minefield.

Spanners.

Du, Du, Du, Du

Chunder, not wonder.

If it's not long, it's wrong.

Tuna, not Trout.

If in doubt, put it out.

Outdoor toilet.

Du, Du, Du, Du

Passion, not possession.

Simply, not Sibley.

Up and under, not side and round

Areas, not arias.

Will Hughes bad, Charlie Hughes god

And that's the Derby way.

I had this exact thought earlier, we don’t have a Derby way anymore and can you be almost too tactical for the championship? And be worrying too much about your opponents?

I know we don’t have the players now like we did under Mac to play attractive football so you grind out results however you can.

But memorable promotion sides such as Leeds and Wolves of late, they had a style they stuck to home or away, they played their football and didn’t seem to worry how the opponents would set up against them, they just played attractive football and got results.

With a transfer window will Waz go for that blueprint and have a “Derby way” or just make us hard to beat and keep swapping and changing players and formations to suit the opponents?

7 minutes ago, YouRams said:

I had this exact thought earlier, we don’t have a Derby way anymore and can you be almost too tactical for the championship? And be worrying too much about your opponents?

I know we don’t have the players now like we did under Mac to play attractive football so you grind out results however you can.

But memorable promotion sides such as Leeds and Wolves of late, they had a style they stuck to home or away, they played their football and didn’t seem to worry how the opponents would set up against them, they just played attractive football and got results.

With a transfer window will Waz go for that blueprint and have a “Derby way” or just make us hard to beat and keep swapping and changing players and formations to suit the opponents?

It would need to be a very generous transfer kitty to make a significant difference. Will any new owners have funds, and be willing invest in the squad? It's not a given. 

4 minutes ago, europia said:

It would need to be a very generous transfer kitty to make a significant difference. Will any new owners have funds, and be willing invest in the squad? It's not a given. 

It’s certainly not, he’s got a tough summer whichever way it goes with the new owners, we look worlds away from a promotion pushing side.

1 hour ago, YouRams said:

Which do you prefer?

9 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Which do you prefer?

I enjoyed watching the football more under Mac but ultimately it didn’t get us promotion, so I’m swaying more towards making us hard to beat and do anything to get us out this league, yourself? 

2 hours ago, YouRams said:

I enjoyed watching the football more under Mac but ultimately it didn’t get us promotion, so I’m swaying more towards making us hard to beat and do anything to get us out this league, yourself? 

I much prefer us playing like the former but we obviously need to dig and scramble ourselves out of this pit by any means.

That's not what I want us to play long term tho....I hated it under the likes of rowett and I hate it now.

Needs must though.

To me the Derby way actually meant something,I miss it and I long for its return.

Archived