Expectations next season and beyond

Bris Vegas

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I certainly hope so. Grant's vast experience would be invaluable to Super Frank... if not Grant then you'd hope an experienced head was coming in alongside Super Frank & Jody Morris.

I suppose that makes sense, although I'd hope those ears would be Frank's to reach without putting them on the payroll.

With money supposedly tight, it's a balancing act between wages on the pitch vs wages off it, I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

I think it’s safe to say the next manager won’t be here in to see out a 3 year plan. 

I don't mind that, as long as the plan remains the same and the identity put in place doesn't change.

It works for most sensibly-run clubs.

1 minute ago, philmycock said:

We’re not a playground to ground ex-England international superstars in management, we want promotion, screw that 3 year plan rubbish

But we're right up on FFP limits, and literally half of our squad are out of contract next summer.

Sure we all want promotion, nobody is saying they don't want promotion. But there are clearly ways to get promoted, and arguably considering our current position, we'd be better off playing a patient game.

What's the alternative? Sign the likes Bradley Johnson and Jacob Butterfield down for another three years on 30k-a-week plus wages and hope they finally represent the ridiculous money we've spent on them?

Or let them go and replace them with more 30k-per-week 28-year-old's with no re-sale value?

I don't mind if the new manager makes one last attempt with the current squad as it is for promotion... But I won't be impressed if we sign another three 30-year-old experienced pros this summer to add to the several oldies we already have.

It's time to invest in youth. But in doing so, we must be wary that it could take two or three years for them to reach their potential. That's why if we go down that route, expecting an immediate promotion push is unrealistic.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

But we're right up on FFP limits, and literally half of our squad are out of contract next summer.

Sure we all want promotion, nobody is saying they don't want promotion. But there are clearly ways to get promoted, and arguably considering our current position, we'd be better off playing a patient game.

What's the alternative? Sign the likes Bradley Johnson and Jacob Butterfield down for another three years on 30k-a-week plus wages and hope they finally represent the ridiculous money we've spent on them?

Or let them go and replace them with more 30k-per-week 28-year-old's with no re-sale value?

I don't mind if the new manager makes one last attempt with the current squad as it is for promotion... But I won't be impressed if we sign another three 30-year-old experienced pros this summer to add to the several oldies we already have.

It's time to invest in youth. But in doing so, we must be wary that it could take two or three years for them to reach their potential. That's why if we go down that route, expecting an immediate promotion push is unrealistic.

Has anyone actually worked this FFP figure out? And actually if they’re all out of contract in a year then surely this is the season to go for it?

4 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Has anyone actually worked this FFP figure out? And actually if they’re all out of contract in a year then surely this is the season to go for it?

That's the thing. We could have one final push, and that would be acceptable.

But similar to the season just gone, if we fail to make it, ultimately it's a season wasted in th grand scheme of things as we aren't building towards anything.

I don't blame Rowett for buying experienced pros and going for promotion. But what annoys me is the moment we lost to Fulham, the realisation is that we've just wasted the last 12 months and we're in no better position.

Hindsight is wonderful. But I'd rather we didn't buy another four 30+ year olds and focused on buying youth, developing a style and bringing academy players through. Had we done that, we'd be in a better place going in to next season.

For me it comes a time when you have to plan. Trying to wing it year on year ultimately leaves you in a worse position when you fail to make it. 

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

That's the thing. We could have one final push, and that would be acceptable.

But similar to the season just gone, if we fail to make it, ultimately it's a season wasted in th grand scheme of things as we aren't building towards anything.

I don't blame Rowett for buying experienced pros and going for promotion. But what annoys me is the moment we lost to Fulham, the realisation is that we've just wasted the last 12 months and we're in no better position.

Hindsight is wonderful. But I'd rather we didn't buy another four 30+ year olds and focused on buying youth, developing a style and bringing academy players through. Had we done that, we'd be in a better place going in to next season.

For me it comes a time when you have to plan. Trying to wing it year on year ultimately leaves you in a worse position when you fail to make it. 

We finished in the play-offs, so last season was a success of sorts.

We’re only a couple of players away from getting to the promised land, I will support Frank if he’s the man, hopefully his contacts can get those 2/3 young players in next season.

1 hour ago, philmycock said:

Jeez a 3 year plan, we’ve been in this division for 10 years, why can’t we aim for top 6, whoever is the gaffer, we’re Derby not Florist!!!

I think we went for when MM first got here, pushed for promotion but ultimately didn't achieve it.  Now we have to tighten our belts for a couple of seasons get FFP under control then go again. 

We're up against numerous teams with parachute payments and teams such as Wolves that like us put all their hopes of gaining promotion within a FFP cycle.  If there is any sense left at the club we ride out the next season or so, then push again.  We either limp along every season with our nose up against FFP limits or bide our time and engineer ourselves some room to play. 

I'd personally buy into a 2 or 3 year plan but it appears that plans change with every new manager.

Just now, philmycock said:

We finished in the play-offs, so last season was a success of sorts.

We’re only a couple of players away from getting to the promised land, I will support Frank if he’s the man, hopefully his contacts can get those 2/3 young players in next season.

I really don't think we are. I thought we were largely fortunate to reach the playoffs, and our outstanding players are that much closer to reaching the age where the body just doesn't react anymore.

Would it be a surprise to see Davies, Huddlestone, Ledley, Jerome, Carson, Nugent, Bradley Johnson, Keogh, Bryson, Anya  dip in form/ability/impact next season? For me it wouldn't. I think it would be unrealistic to expect them to keep up such levels when they're past their peak athletic age.

We only have three realistic players who you'd expect to actually get better - Lawrence, Wisdom and Vydra - and the latter looks like he's off. 

Compare that with other teams who are improving or looking at bringing in younger player, I'm not particularly hopeful of another playoff campaign. All IMO of course.

32 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don't mind that, as long as the plan remains the same and the identity put in place doesn't change.

It works for most sensibly-run clubs.

Agree. However I’ve now come to expect that any manager will agree to plans to get the job. 

Once they are through the door things change. 

4 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Statistically 2/3 of teams who fail in the playoffs do not make the playoffs in the next season! With our record of failure we are obviously doomed. DOOMED DOOMED I tell you.

Any other season we wouldn't have made it anyway. Stumbled over the line in the end. Just because the chasing pack were as bad as us. 

Still no reason why this lot cant make it again. 

My expectations are still playoffs or improved clear vision in mid table. Preferably both. 

I would expect Frank/ whoever to be given a minimum of two seasons, provided that we are clearly making progress towards a younger, attack minded team, with a clear strategy of how to play and who to sign. 

I don’t think league position is so important next season, as there will be limited room to manoeuvre with ffp and the older players running down their contracts. 

I would hope to see a busy summer next year, building towards a serious challenge in 2020, with promotion then or the season after. That seems realistic to me, given our position, resources and ambitions.

I haven’t been a fan of Mel’s stewardship of the club so far, but I hope he sticks it out, backs the new manager, and keeps to a consistent philosophy and approach. I never want to see an appointment like Pearson or Rowett again.

Always honestly expect the playoffs - given our relative size as a club and the fact even with tight purse strings we should be competitive. 

Many of our older big money players will still be on the books. I can’t see major changes over the next 12-18 months but maybe the few departures we have seen will relieve some pressure and allow us to try the likes of Elsnik and others before we make any short term purchases / gambles. 

Only concern is hasty decisions being taken that are born of impatience at average performances. 

Archived