Managers you wish (at the time) we hadn't sacked (or resigned)

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh ffs he couldn't do what Mac did with his players, goodness knows who we'd have ended up with if he'd been given money!

Well it wouldn't have been Blackman, butterfield and Johnson that's for god dam sure 

Chris Martin, Shaun barker, Jason shackell

for about half of what we paid for Blackman .... 

ill just leave that there for u 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked Burley, given what he had I think he had us over-performing and could have taken us up - especially if you look at what he did at Hearts immediately afterwards

Second time we bumped Mac I think we could have given him chance to overcome the slump and given him the summer/following season (but I think that's slightly retrospective after watching Roger's turdball.) First time I think there were to many problems to overcome.

McFarland (most recent) I thought was doing okay and I would have kept with him.

Cox and Smith did well but I think it was their time to go.

Westley intrigued me - not sure why given his record but I didn't dislike him.

The rest from 1984 to now border from adequate at best to woeful and a few I genuinely disliked a few.

16 minutes ago, Rample said:

I liked Burley, given what he had I think he had us over-performing and could have taken us up - especially if you look at what he did at Hearts immediately afterwards

Second time we bumped Mac I think we could have given him chance to overcome the slump and given him the summer/following season (but I think that's slightly retrospective after watching Roger's turdball.) First time I think there were to many problems to overcome.

McFarland (most recent) I thought was doing okay and I would have kept with him.

Cox and Smith did well but I think it was their time to go.

Westley intrigued me - not sure why given his record but I didn't dislike him.

The rest from 1984 to now border from adequate at best to woeful and a few I genuinely disliked a few.

Have to agree TBE’s time had definitely run his course here the timing of his departure was about right ish.

Arthur Cox, now wasn’t he laid up with a bad back when it started to go tits up. Then the phone rang and Kevin Keegan asked him to join him at NUFC and low and behold he practically ran up there. That was particularly disappointing for a teenage Ram at the time. 

George performed particularly well (especially when away from home ??) allegedly???. He did have us playing some good stuff with an average side at best, until the playoff match against Preston at PP that is.

On 24/05/2018 at 21:32, Bob The Badger said:

Nigel Clough - I'm still bummed about this and I'm convinced we'd be a solid Premier League team if he hadn't let go. Love his outlook on playing football and I'd welcome him back now with open arms.

Forgive me if I'm wrong..... but hasn't Nigel Clough achieved just 1 promotion in the professional leagues, which he effectively shared with another manager because he joined halfway through the season to finish the job that Hasselbaink started? 

This is despite managing Sheffield United in League One where they had the biggest playing budget in the league, and taking over at Derby when they had parachute payments and failing to get you up before they ran out.

Seems to be a lot of sentiment in your part of the world because of his surname, can't help but feel that if he didn't have that famous surname he'd probably have had a career similar to that of somebody like Steve Tilson and wouldn't have jumped from the Conference to a newly relegated Prem Team.

Can't help but feel that he's just dined out on his surname personally and that you blew your chances of becoming a yo-yo club like West Brom when you appointed a Conference manager after coming down from the Premier League. 

What has he done in management to deserve the reputation he has? 

6 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong..... but hasn't Nigel Clough achieved just 1 promotion in the professional leagues, which he effectively shared with another manager because he joined halfway through the season to finish the job that Hasselbaink started? 

This is despite managing Sheffield United in League One where they had the biggest playing budget in the league, and taking over at Derby when they had parachute payments and failing to get you up before they ran out.

Seems to be a lot of sentiment in your part of the world because of his surname, can't help but feel that if he didn't have that famous surname he'd probably have had a career similar to that of somebody like Steve Tilson and wouldn't have jumped from the Conference to a newly relegated Prem Team.

Can't help but feel that he's just dined out on his surname personally and that you blew your chances of becoming a yo-yo club like West Brom when you appointed a Conference manager after coming down from the Premier League. 

Deserves far more than one like!

4 hours ago, NorwichLad said:

I think you make a great point mate.

In psychology it's called 'the halo effect', and yeh, maybe that is influencing my opinion.

I cannot remember what Nige did elsehere and I'm a tad to lazy too go and check, but I must say I thought he got more than one promotion.

I think I admire him because he's done what he's done with very little cash. If you look at Burton's wage bill and how much they have spent on transfers, it's insane.

They are a non-league club in the league and just getting them to within one win to stay up this season, was impressive imho.

Also, I liked the type of football he had us playing and I *think* he was on the cusp of something.

But I can definitely understand your perspective or that of anybody else thinking he was a mistake.

Good job all this is subjective then, eh? ?

18 hours ago, NorwichLad said:

Nigel has actually achieved 3 promotions. He took over Burton Albion in the Southern League on crowds of 400, 20 years ago this year, was instrumental in getting them a new ground and eventually took them into the Championship, albeit with Jimmy Floyd Haisslebank getting them up from League 2. He miraculously kept what is in essence a non-league club in the Champoionshio for 2 seasons and but for a suspect collapse by Forest at Bolton in the last 5 minutes earlier in the month it would have been 3. 

He then took over a basket case of a club at Derby and massively reduced the wage bill, steadying the ship and bringing in quality players to mount a promotion challenge, but got the sack as he wouldn’t have players foisted on him from Sam Rush and play to Rush’s rules.

Then taking over at relegation threatened Sheffield United where he took them to 2 cup semi finals and the play offs in 2 years. I believe also there is a statistic out there that states that Nigel has actually improved the league position at his club in 18 out of those 20 seasons. 

Thats what he’s achieved and in actual fact doesn’t get anything like the credit he deserves. In comparison, Rowett who does the PR well and talks a good game, actually hasn’t achieved anything at all as a manager - zilch! 

Burley’s playoff campaign got me dreaming as a kid. If it wasn’t for him, I’d end up supporting some shitty team like Man Utd. Thank you George for making me realise my dad wasn’t torturing me every Saturday to watch Derby County. Hence the reason I felt gutted when he decided to leave. Quality football on a shoestring budget. Brilliant.

Nigel Cloughs departure was tough to swallow. The man saved us from certain doom however his constant tactical blunders wouldn’t have taken the team to the promise land. Can spot a player Nige but doesn’t have any idea how to get the best of them. But I’ll be forever grateful.

Macs sacking 2nd time around was a joke. He turned it around (AGAIN!) and this useless chairman bottled it and sacked him. He’d have turned it around.

3 hours ago, Mikeyboy said:

Nigel has actually achieved 3 promotions. He took over Burton Albion in the Southern League on crowds of 400, 20 years ago this year, was instrumental in getting them a new ground and eventually took them into the Championship, albeit with Jimmy Floyd Haisslebank getting them up from League 2. He miraculously kept what is in essence a non-league club in the Champoionshio for 2 seasons and but for a suspect collapse by Forest at Bolton in the last 5 minutes earlier in the month it would have been 3. 

He then took over a basket case of a club at Derby and massively reduced the wage bill, steadying the ship and bringing in quality players to mount a promotion challenge, but got the sack as he wouldn’t have players foisted on him from Sam Rush and play to Rush’s rules.

Then taking over at relegation threatened Sheffield United where he took them to 2 cup semi finals and the play offs in 2 years. I believe also there is a statistic out there that states that Nigel has actually improved the league position at his club in 18 out of those 20 seasons. 

Thats what he’s achieved and in actual fact doesn’t get anything like the credit he deserves. In comparison, Rowett who does the PR well and talks a good game, actually hasn’t achieved anything at all as a manager - zilch! 

No disrespect but would you be going to these lengths to make your point if his surname wasn’t Clough? 

Archived