Managers you wish (at the time) we hadn't sacked (or resigned)

clarkeram7
23 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

we played some good stuff, we played some bad stuff under him

The bad stuff was truly awful and I genuinely can't remember the good stuff other than one 8 game spell where he had Beuno, Commons and Kuqi.. Then by January he'd dropped or let go all 3 ? 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, clarkeram7 said:

The bad stuff was truly awful and I genuinely can't remember the good stuff other than one 8 game spell where he had Beuno, Commons and Kuqi.. Then by January he'd dropped or let go all 3 ? 

Worse than Pearson or rowettball ?

worse than Mac 2 minus simmo and his 99% sideways and backwards passing where we'd have 75% possession but not register a shot on goal and lose 1-0 lol 

clarkeram7
9 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Worse than Pearson or rowettball ?

worse than Mac 2 minus simmo and his 99% sideways and backwards passing where we'd have 75% possession but not register a shot on goal and lose 1-0 lol 

Easily... The whole era I just want to forget tbh! I occasionally wait for BBC radio Derby to bring his Burton interviews up once we've played just to laugh. The man is so predictable beyond belief: 'We just needed a bit of luck' ?

Did you not listen to Kris Commons' interview recently in Scotland about his time at Derby? 

11 minutes ago, clarkeram7 said:

Easily... The whole era I just want to forget tbh! I occasionally wait for BBC radio Derby to bring his Burton interviews up once we've played just to laugh. The man is so predictable beyond belief: 'We just needed a bit of luck' ?

Did you not listen to Kris Commons' interview recently in Scotland about his time at Derby? 

What did Kris say?

Brian Clough, George Burley and Dave Mackay. Clough always regretted leaving Derby. Burleys team played some very entertaining football and would probably have got them prompted the following season (had we kept Rasiak). Mackays sacking was strange. Ok so results were not that good but it was early days in that season (I do recall an 8-2 win v Spurs not too long prior to him going). I believe it was mutual he left so the board could get Clough and Taylor back? When Mackay heard the rumour he had a bust up with the board. His excellent book mentions this or similar.

3 hours ago, clarkeram7 said:

Sorry nothing was worse than pearsons launchball

all I recall the tactic as being was pass sideways and backwards til it ended up at mr 50p boots shackell to hoon it aimlessly forward in the hope we might get on the end of it, sorry that was park football and way way worse 

Not even close 

re commons can u link it would genuinely like to listen to it 

47 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Just on the Nigel Clough point, we could've gone through 5,6,7 managers in that time and i doubt we'd have been any better off for doing so. Budgets would still have been tight, players loans and cheapies, board happy to just stay in the division.

What about 13m that clement spunked up the wall on butterfield, Johnson and Blackman ?

Or the 12m that Pearson paid for vydra and anya 

thats more than clough was allowed to spend under the americans period 

we'll never know but god dam it I'd have liked to have seen him given that same leverage 

20 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

What about 13m that clement spunked up the wall on butterfield, Johnson and Blackman ?

Or the 12m that Pearson paid for vydra and anya 

we'll never know but god dam it I'd have liked to have seen him given that same leverage 

Oh ffs he couldn't do what Mac did with his players, goodness knows who we'd have ended up with if he'd been given money!

Only been around since Cox, so Clough Sr doesn't, figure for me. 

Of those seen though, Burley is the obvious one. Other than that, everyone pretty much had probably taken us as far as they could. Only one that I'm tempted to add is Schteve 1. I know Schetve 2 was a bit of a mess but the squad he inherited then was different to the one he left, so whilst he *might* have been able to sort out the defensive issues with the team he had post-Wembley, there were many other problems with it by the time he returned. 

Enjoyed the side under McFarland as well, but I don't think he'd have done what TBE did.

Burley - stunning football at times. Journey ended just as it got started

Clough - purely because I like him as a person. He nearly got it right a few times over his years. He kept undoing it though. Always lived with hope that he'd finally stick with his positive, attacking teams he had at times.

Mac 1- injury ravaged. Mistakes were made but he earned another shot for waking the club up

Clement - was infuriating but when you hire a rookie I think you have to accept that there will be a learning curve. Felt he was sacked too soon even though he's been the most damaging manager in the long term for other managers 

Mac 2 - hired to drag us out the **** and get us playing. He dragged us out the **** and.... got sacked. Ridiculous. 

Wassall - Best performance of the season was his last game in charge. Again a rookie. Bound to be mistakes and naive moments. He did a better job in his games that Nigel Pearson. And Nigel Pearson had everyone up his arse. Some even claiming he basically set Ranieri up for an open goal.

I can't post about Pearson without getting angry. What a fecking clown. A shocker in every department.

His transfer strategy was dodgy as feck. His decision to have Bryson and Hughes at DM and then get the ball kicked past them was hilarious. Tasking them with defending... ffs.

He was utter *****. 

In fact he's the inspiration for supporting Lampard if it happens. Pearson is a proven, successful manager who's been through the leagues a bit. It counted for feck all so bring on somebody who's never done anything for me. Give me rookie errors. More forgivable than loaning out your top scorer (should have kept or cashed out) and buying Vydra who was on a downward spiral at the time and cost £8m!! 

Our Nige was so, so, so close. The football was good (we scored team goals regularly in 12/13 and the start of 13/14), the philosophy was sound, we had the runners off of Martin, playing it from the back but it was just the fine details.

The poor home form stemmed from a narrow formation being expected to break deep defences down, Eustace being seen as an option rather than the need he actually was and atrocious organisation from defensive set-pieces.

Many of the changes McClaren made were just obvious! Not to take anything away from him but they were! 

In my lifetime, George Burley was the one that left me most gutted. He worked wonders under such a terrible board, and to make matters worse, he joined Hearts and immediately turned them into SPL contenders with some cracking signings he could have brought to Derby had we had a sound board at the time.

Mac 1 I honestly felt he lost the dressing room. He most likely didn't, and that collapse was 100% down to injuries, but for some reason at the time I wasn't too bothered by it all. It seemed like a change was a weight lifted.

Mac 2 was just ridiculous. So harsh to sack him.

But yeah, Burley was the only one which had that affect on me. He reignited the spark after several PL struggles and that initial campaign under Gregory. And he did it under such tight contraints.

It's easy to forget we had the likes of Grant, Camp, Hudds, Tudgay, Jackson, Mills, Bolder and Boertein in and around the first team and they were all like 20. Then add Pesky, Idiakez, Rasiak, Tommy Smith, Bisgaard, Ian Taylor to the mix. Such a likeable squad.

10 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

I agree it wasn't always great but part of that was also the austerity coming from the club at the time

knowing we're not going to or have no chance of making any exciting multimillion pound signings hardly inspires people to come and watch 

we all flocked to see butters and Bradley .... wish I hadn't bothered lol 

10m quid for those pair it still hurts me ...like deeply 

I'm saying this tongue in cheek but that's probably more than Nigel spent period 

anyhow lets not do the whole Nigel dance, been done way too many times lol

The difference between Rowett and Nigel is that at least the latter left a legacy of bringing through the likes of Hendrick, Hughes from the youth ranks and signing gems like Russell & Bryson for peanuts. Rowett has left nothing tangible at all as a legacy; nothing at the club is any better than when he took over. 

Archived