If it’s Frank

archied
Message added by David

If it is Frank  

620 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

if I have any optimism, it will be based on potential feelgood factor amongst the players and how they react to a modern footballing great such as Frank Lampard being around.

We all saw in 2014 how a positive mentality from McClaren, Simpson and Steele lifted the whole team beyond expectation.

Right now, we have, on paper, technically better players, who have more winning experience, and who on balance, appear to have been restrained by a negative, overly-pragmatic philosophy.

One would hope that Lampard could carry through his playing mentality into his managerial philosophy. He was a positive player, was a winner, an excellent competitor, and in my opinion, had a level of commitment and will to work hard that puts most of our players to shame.

There is a saying that the best players aren't just the most talented, they also work hardest, Lampard had that as a player, and I would hope he'd have that as a manager, and that would rub off onto the playing squad.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

We'd definitely have had the better week if we get Lampard.

Lampard MIGHT give us dire football. Rattlesnake DEFINITELY would have served up garbage.

Lampard will have connections at Chelsea, Man City etc - Roger has connections at Burton and.....

Lampard's a snappy dresser. Be11 end can't even afford a decent pair of shoes. 

Lampard's highly intelligent. Parcelmouth isn't. 

Lampard's articulate. Wormtongue sounds like a tractor engine about to die. 

Lampard will get to manage Derby, with it's fantastic ground, superb training facilities and great fanbase. C0ckn0cker has to go to Stoke every day and engage with the nuclear fallout victims. 

Yes, we'll definitely have had the better week. And so will Frank.....

Holy **** there are some great names in there for “he who’s name shall never been spoken again”. 

What a week we’re having, let’s complete it Mel with the appointment of young Frank. ????

I always believe teams play in the manner of their manager.

A. Klopp - Excitable, positive, sometimes careless but always interesting. Intelligent

B. Pep - Classy, cool, arrogant but with flair

Mourinho - Can be both of the above but more often than not has a touch of negativity rather than flair

C. Alladyce, Pardew - Full of Bull, talk a good game, intelligent but negative

D. Pulis, McCarthy, Just Dull, dour, Depressing

F. Keegan - A without the intelligence

Rowett is an unsuccessfull....C  (in many ways) Without the intelligence

Now Frank is the Premier leagues top scorer. More goals from midfield than anyone ever in the history of the world i believe? he may feel there`s a place of a box to box player like Bryson..

All of the above, even the chumps started as rookies - and not all of them at lower tier clubs.

If Derby do go with Frank and its not an obvious fit clearly but he gets them playing in his style i would love it me (keegan voice)

1 minute ago, oldtimeram said:

Knowing Mel, I bet he appoints Frank Lampard Snr. 

With Jody Kidd and Hugh grant ?

2 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

Bradley Johnson will be molded into the next Frank Lampard. You heard it here first.

Holy cow, the mad optimism is heading off in some strange directions!!

There is not much that can be said with any confidence right now in these turbulent times, but if there is one thing that can be said with absolute certainty it is that Bradley Johnson will never be Derby's Frank Lampard.

35 minutes ago, northantsram said:

I think Frank would be a great appointment at this point for us. He will have some great contacts and will know doubt get the pick of a few of chelseas/Man citys most talented youngsters. The players will no doubt respect him for what he's achieved in the game. He seems like a really articulate chap and I would imagine he would have some good ideas. Finally we would have a greater level of interest in The club which would get sponsors interested (apparently we need the cash) The 2 downsides for me would be   ... A.. Harry Redknapp  and  B... we dont know what style he will get us playing. He had a lot of success as a player under Mourinho he doesn't play eye catching football ..  All in all though he' the only candidate to get excited about which we need ! 

I would be excited about either Dean Smith or Paul Cook....

TobyWanKenobi
1 hour ago, archied said:

If it is frank ( forget other candidates this threads not about that), how do derby fans feel about this week and the swap ? Who’s got best deal ,derby or stoke ?  Great management by mel or disaster?

I don't know. Frank Lampard is completely untested as a manager. I don't begrudge him being given a chance, but I'd prefer it was with someone else further down the league who isn't actually at a crucial season where progress will be measured weather we finish in the playoffs or not.

I think probably the biggest positive in getting Lampard as many have mentioned is the connections he likely has. If we're needing to rely on loans Lampard could prove very useful. I imagine Chelsea will have loan offers galore from Championship teams for the likes of Ampadu, Izzy Brown, Aina, Baker, Mount, Abraham etc. The second Lampard contacts Abramovich about one of his players I'm sure we'd jump straight to near the top of the list

59 minutes ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

True. But to put things in perspective, he only ever played at League one standard, and started managing around that level too. He had to start somewhere, and it wasn't miles down the pyramid.

Not to mention how many team talks, game reviews, analysis has Lampard sat through listening to the best of the best talking about football. Bit different in league 1. What do we want more? promotion or good football followed by promotion? Its hard to tell with Derby fans.

Lampard's knowledge of the game is nothing really below the championship (considering ageing prem players end up there), so therefore that will be his level to start from.

If we don't take a chance, some other team in the division will. And you know that that team will go on to good things and we'll be sat saying 'we nearly had Lampard'.

With anyone, it may work, it may not. But his lack of experience has no relevance if he brings a team with him that has (and he will).

There is a chance he'll have us playing exciting football. None of the others on the list (as we see it) will.

I would 100% take a Lampard led Derby team who look like they're developing a way of playing and finish mid-table next season, over a boring team who reach the play-offs, but are never going to be good enough to go up.

Whilst it's true that Smith did start managing at league 1 level his situation is not analogous to Lampard's. By the time Smith got the Walsall job he'd been working as a coach for 6 years.

Sitting through team talks, regardless of how talented the person giving them is, doesn't make you a good coach. Tony Adams and Gary Neville spent their entire careers respectively listening to the two most talented managers in English football over the last few decades and it didn't stop them from being absolutely clueless when they had a crack at management.

I'm not saying it's the worst idea in the world to give Lampard a go, but it's a shot in the dark.

Dean Smith's Brentford have received plaudits all season for their attacking football. I'm not demanding that Smith get the job here, but it's wrong to claim that Lampard is the only option who even offers a chance of exciting football.

I'd be happy enough with a mid table finish if we're trying to play attractive football and we afford a chance to some of our academy graduates. I absolutely do not want to become a crèche for the legions of youth players Chelsea like to hoard.

3 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I think probably the biggest positive in getting Lampard as many have mentioned is the connections he likely has. If we're needing to rely on loans Lampard could prove very useful. I imagine Chelsea will have loan offers galore from Championship teams for the likes of Ampadu, Izzy Brown, Aina, Baker, Mount, Abraham etc. The second Lampard contacts Abramovich about one of his players I'm sure we'd jump straight to near the top of the list

I know it’s probably one of the names on the list you’ve given, but who is the young lad making a massive impression in the Dutch top flight currently? Saw a report on Sky Sports News the other day 

Just now, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

I know it’s probably one of the names on the list you’ve given, but who is the young lad making a massive impression in the Dutch top flight currently? Saw a report on Sky Sports News the other day 

Mason Mount has been getting quite a lot of attention so it might be him. Last I heard he was heavily linked to Norwich so it does seem like he'll be going out on loan to an English club during this upcoming season

7 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

5 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Mason Mount has been getting quite a lot of attention so it might be him. Last I heard he was heavily linked to Norwich so it does seem like he'll be going out on loan to an English club during this upcoming season

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11375960/is-mason-mount-the-next-academy-star-from-chelsea-we-profile-the-talented-teenager

Archived