Derby County have already interviewed candidates about the vacant manager's position

Rample

4 minutes ago, archied said:

Lampard is very very far from stupid appointment if all the reports of the clubs position are correct for the reasons you give above and others I’ve posted elsewhere ,, after much thought if it’s not lampard then only really smith jumps out a me once I take stock ,, problem is that if we are going down the road of trying to get our club playing a more attacking and passing less direct less counter attacking way we are going to need some better players than we have , that’s for sure and do we have the money to do what’s needed ?

I do not think initially that he would be a good choice as a 1st team coach / manager. However I wouldn't mind him being a more experienced coaches number 2.

Build more knowledge and potentially experience with this level.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Tim Sherwood doesn't seem to be mentioned.

His record whilst managing Spurs from memory was good, encouraged youth, played football.

I am not sure why he hasn't been picked up somewhere as a manager (maybe there's a reason)?

He's a pillock thats why !

9 minutes ago, Saity said:

Lampard would only see this as a stepping stone and although there’s no guarantees anyone will hang around ...someone who knows the championship and who can wheel and deal on a budget is paramount I would say...and to me  that probably isn’t Lampard ...but just my thoughts archied...

no one whoever they are is any good until they’ve come in and proved it ...some good managers have failed at other clubs like ...Eddie Howe 

True and that would be my concern. Any hint of success and he'd be linked with every "bigger" job under the sun. Mind you, we've just been used as a stepping stone by the last manager I'd have thought would use us as a stepping stone. So that's obviously not something you can protect yourself against.

1 minute ago, DerbyPride said:

True and that would be my concern. Any hint of success and he'd be linked with every "bigger" job under the sun. Mind you, we've just been used as a stepping stone by the last manager I'd have thought would use us as a stepping stone. So that's obviously not something you can protect yourself against.

As I said earlier, Derby are a mere stepping stone for every manager. 

There are enough clubs more attractive to us that there's often an opportunity that's tempting, and any success with us is attractive to other clubs because of what a difficult job its perceived to be from the outside.

It will take an awful lot of success for us to genuinely be considered a "home" by managers.

19 minutes ago, Saity said:

Lampard would only see this as a stepping stone and although there’s no guarantees anyone will hang around ...someone who knows the championship and who can wheel and deal on a budget is paramount I would say...and to me  that probably isn’t Lampard ...but just my thoughts archied...

no one whoever they are is any good until they’ve come in and proved it ...some good managers have failed at other clubs like ...Eddie Howe 

I’ve come to the conclusion that probably 95 % of jobs in world football are stepping stones ,, jeez we’ve just been a stepping stone to stoke yes stoke for Gary the rattlesnake rowett ,,, for a club like us it’s about becoming a top of the range stepping stone ,not what we are now so I’m not even considering that any manager may see us as a stepping stone in considering whether he’s right for us anymore ,,, 

I certainly won’t try to tell you that your wrong on lampard , your option and gut feeling on who and what we need are just as valid as mine or anybody else’s ,,, just for me at this point I feel I would take a punt on lampard as I can see a lot of pluses ,,, I wouldn’t have dreamed of taking that same punt when replacing mac1 ,but for me I just feel we are in a different place now with far less to lose unless it was a total disaster and we were relegation threatened whilst we buy time for our highly paid deadwoods contracts to expire and we are a bit less shackled financially 

lampard on a 12 month rolling contract?

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

As I said earlier, Derby are a mere stepping stone for every manager. 

There are enough clubs more attractive to us that there's often an opportunity that's tempting, and any success with us is attractive to other clubs because of what a difficult job its perceived to be from the outside.

It will take an awful lot of success for us to genuinely be considered a "home" by managers.

Success would ultimately be taking us into the Prem, do that and bar an elite of  European aspiring clubs, we would have as much potential as anyone else in the Prem.

3 minutes ago, archied said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that probably 95 % of jobs in world football are stepping stones ,, jeez we’ve just been a stepping stone to stoke yes stoke for Gary the rattlesnake rowett ,,, for a club like us it’s about becoming a top of the range stepping stone ,not what we are now so I’m not even considering that any manager may see us as a stepping stone in considering whether he’s right for us anymore ,,, 

I certainly won’t try to tell you that your wrong on lampard , your option and gut feeling on who and what we need are just as valid as mine or anybody else’s ,,, just for me at this point I feel I would take a punt on lampard as I can see a lot of pluses ,,, I wouldn’t have dreamed of taking that same punt when replacing mac1 ,but for me I just feel we are in a different place now with far less to lose unless it was a total disaster and we were relegation threatened whilst we buy time for our highly paid deadwoods contracts to expire and we are a bit less shackled financially 

True. Unless your Barca, Real, Man City, etc, etc, then every team is going to be a stepping stone to somewhere. 

Not many mangers like Wenger out there and look how he was treated by his own fans in the end!

9 minutes ago, archied said:

lampard on a 12 month rolling contract?

Quite right - that's why I think an unknown (in terms of managerial experience) is better, personally. Because even if he's successful he'll still be a risk to others for a couple of years, rather than get poached immediately.

The best Derby County could ever be is at a level where the only direction managers want to go are on to the legendary clubs. That's basically the clubs overall ambition across it's lifespan.

8 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Success would ultimately be taking us into the Prem, do that and bar an elite of  European aspiring clubs, we would have as much potential as anyone else in the Prem.

Yes, once you are in the Prem, there is no progression for English managers apart from the England job.  None of the big 6-8 are interested in English managers. The only options are shuffling around lower Prem clubs or a trip to Glasgow.

23 minutes ago, MikeS said:

If we have interviewed already, suggests this has been on the cards for some time.....

It all seems to have happened at lightning speed doesn't it?!

I also think that one of mels biggest mistakes looking back now has been to look for and expect a manager who is going to treat the club and the job of managing us with the affection and loyalty a derby fan would ?  It’s seems clement came in making the right noises and by all accounts quickly showed he may see us as a quick stepping stone when mel saw him as our fergie ,, mac 1 similarly snake like ,, pearsons just Pearson and now MR derby county himself ,Gary the rattlesnake rowett ,,, I’m hoping mels learnt his lesson however painfully that he is one of us ,a died in the wool derby fan ,,,, these people he employs ARE NOT so he is looking for something that’s not there and never will be and that included s players and Sam rush type/ position employees 

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I can't believe fans are happy bringing someone with no management experience at all in to sort this mess out and no money to spend....

Maybe someone inspirational & with excellent contacts within the game at the top level can achieve more? There will be money to spend just have to be self financing and prudent. 

Archived