Jim Smith

TigerTedd

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Remember that 3-2 win at Man Utd when smith made our wingers not drop back and force back Irwin and Neville to actually defend nobody did that to Man Utd at thier place 

Worked a treat an all. As Graham Richards so eloquently said, we made the united defence look second rate. 

Theres a certain recent manager who’s brain would frazzle even trying to contemplate that type of forward thinking.

2 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

Tranmere at home was pretty good though....??

Indeed. Bank Holiday Monday; very wet. Paul Simpson unplayable on the right wing. Tranmere watched and were like boys chasing men. Simmo was like a machine. White football slammed into the back of the net. Shades of Alan Partridge shouting "****!" as the net bulged. 

8 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Believe you me old jimmy lad was well corked !?????

Always love the story of Fergie giving  Jim a £600 bottle of red after we pissed on their Old Trafford party when they were crowned Champions when Malcolm Christie scored a brace in the 2-1 victory. 

17 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The equivalent these days would be Warnock.

Of course he lacks the charm of Jim Smith.

Well, he lacks charm completely really.

Jim Smith makes me think of Tommy Woodcock, the trainer of Phar Lap, as an analogy. Nice guy, acknowledged as shrewd and cautious, someone who was a safe, but uninspiring, pair of hands. Journeyman, yes, but also someone who did no harm and extracted the most out of the horses in his stable.

And who stumbled upon his Camelot later in life...and shone. The support around Jim Smith gelled - something I think English clubs have long since forgotten is that the alternative to sacking a manager is keeping him and his strengths and adding assistants who address his weaknesses - enabling him to focus on talent and man management. His strengths.

The stupidity was that, I suspect, that we didn’t understand it as a club and the dour types (like Colin Todd) that were added to Smith’s support after McClaren left showed that.

NB: my best football example of the recent Jim Smith was ‘Arry. It just shows how the combination that was Jim Smith was so unique. Charm, honesty, guile, knowledge....This is why we love Jim Smith!

5 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Remember that 3-2 win at Man Utd when smith made our wingers not drop back and force back Irwin and Neville to actually defend nobody did that to Man Utd at thier place 

Like it was yesterday.

I was in the Keepers Arms in North Melbourne p15sed as a newt with tears rolling down my cheeks.

Love Jim Smith. A great guy who brought some terrific football to Derby. I was lucky that my teenage years coincided with such good times.

My great memory of that season is beating Sunderland at home to go top of the league at Christmas. Hundreds of Sunderland fans in Santa hats, Rams fans chanting "We are top of the league" near the end.

And for some reason another great one was listening to Radio Derby as we beat Brum away midweek. That was the game where I realised the season was truly 'on'.

Great days.

17 hours ago, Ramarena said:

That Leicester game was horrible! 3 down after ten mins at home I think?

Heskey was a nightmare to play that day!

From every throw in or cross he scored! We’ve had something horrible matches against Leicester!! Surprised more of us don’t hate them! Some good wins too back in the 90s. Proper ding dong battles. Now they’re  bogey side if we ever play them. 

I thought we had a really balanced but exciting team in the JIM Smith years ( earlier not later). We had the solidity (Poom Stimac, Laursen), work horses (Darryl, Van Der Laan, Seth) flair (Asanovic Eranio Baiano) and goalscorers with pace ( Sturride Wanchope Christie). Other notable players- Carbonari, West, Kinkladze, Willems, Rowett, Carsley). A lot of good players around 1995 til about 1999 maybe. Exciting players, hungry players. 

4 minutes ago, Davide said:

From every throw in or cross he scored! We’ve had something horrible matches against Leicester!! Surprised more of us don’t hate them! Some good wins too back in the 90s. Proper ding dong battles. Now they’re  bogey side if we ever play them. 

I remember that so vividly, was looking forward to getting to my old local (The Gisborne Arms) with the boys, only for Guppy and Izzett to tear us apart in the first 10 mins!

2 minutes ago, Moist One said:

I remember that so vividly, was looking forward to getting to my old local (The Gisborne Arms) with the boys, only for Guppy and Izzett to tear us apart in the first 10 mins!

I know a Leicester fan who puts that as his favourite all time league match and he is adamant that The 94 playoff final is a greater moment than their league win. Seriously!

Sith Happens
On 23/05/2018 at 10:15, Carnero said:

Imagine the reaction if social media and forums were around when Jim was appointed!

What this teaches us is: EVERYBODY JUST GIVE THE NEXT MANAGER A CHANCE BEFORE WRITING HIM OFF!!!!!!!!!!! (as if...)

And 10 games or so in when we looked more like going down than up.

Archived