Jim Smith

TigerTedd

No, im not suggesting him. 

I’m just trying to jog my memory. I’m trying to remember what it was like when we appointed him. 

I was young at the time, and that season had just decided to stop support Man Utd and start being loyal to my home town and club. I really had no idea what was going on with derby, what our prospects were. I didn’t realise we were looking for manager, and I can’t remeber at all what happened to the previous manager, or even who it was. 

But what I do remeber is that my small pre-teen mind had no idea who Jim Smith was. Which seems quite odd to me, as he seemed to be quite old and experienced, but as far as I know he hadn’t managed in the premier league, so had never been on my radar. (But I could be wrong, my football knowledge st the time was not very extensive).

Would Mick McCarthy be his equivalent today? If not, who would? (Not saying we should get whoever his equivalent is, I’m just trying to put TBE’s appointment into context). 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it was very uninspiring. I was working for Stuart Webb, who made the appointment. I remember a Notts County fan saying to Webb "he should keep Derby up" and it not being a well received jibe.

Smith knew how to build something. Sadly he never stopped tinkering and trading, and struggled to replace McClaren, we had all sorts trying, ending with Colin Todd, who took over Smith.

6 hours ago, Carnero said:

Imagine the reaction if social media and forums were around when Jim was appointed!

What this teaches us is: EVERYBODY JUST GIVE THE NEXT MANAGER A CHANCE BEFORE WRITING HIM OFF!!!!!!!!!!! (as if...)

The old D.E.T. forum was certainly around in the Jim Smith era i'm sure there must be some on here other than me who contributed back then. ? 

7 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

No, im not suggesting him. 

I’m just trying to jog my memory. I’m trying to remember what it was like when we appointed him. 

I was young at the time, and that season had just decided to stop support Man Utd and start being loyal to my home town and club. I really had no idea what was going on with derby, what our prospects were. I didn’t realise we were looking for manager, and I can’t remeber at all what happened to the previous manager, or even who it was. 

But what I do remeber is that my small pre-teen mind had no idea who Jim Smith was. Which seems quite odd to me, as he seemed to be quite old and experienced, but as far as I know he hadn’t managed in the premier league, so had never been on my radar. (But I could be wrong, my football knowledge st the time was not very extensive).

Would Mick McCarthy be his equivalent today? If not, who would? (Not saying we should get whoever his equivalent is, I’m just trying to put TBE’s appointment into context). 

Not really comparable to McCarthy, Jim had been sat behind a desk at the LMA for a while after being sacked by Pompy (I think) and it was looking like his career in the dugout had come to an end. 

Not sure what prompted Pickering to hire him, apart from the fact that they got on really well together, but I'm glad he did as the rest was history!

I think it was Roy Mac before him - he had got us to playoff final where we experienced one of my worst footballing days ever losing playoff final to Leicester and the some big toothless git fouling our keeper for the winner.

The following season we finished about half way and then they got rid of him and bought in TBE

I remember being totally underwhelmed by this especially when he started selling all the young assets and replacing/swapping them with journeymen like Craig Short for a certain - Gary Rowett

And Lee Mills for Robbie Van der Laan ( At the time I thought that was a bad deal - but I was young and foolish then ) (well not that young)

And we went up in 2nd behind Sunderland

Feel a bit sick thinking about the Smith era. 

You know on paper it's nothing special. Promoted in 2nd, a couple of midtable seasons, relegation battle and that's your lot. Nothing like Swansea or Burnley or Fulham. Winning a trophy and playing in Europe. Wigan spent a decade up there! 

But it was just the way we did it. The characters we had. The care free way some of our players were.

Wanchope and Stimac seemed to play completely without pressure. Asanovic was arrogant as feck. Eranio with the story where someone hit a bad pass to him and he said something about "why kick ball in stand? No player in stand". 

It might be nostalgia or maybe I was just an easily pleased kid. But for while, even after the two standout seasons we just seemed to attract characters to the club that showed no opponent respect. Whether it was Seth bombing around, Darryl the donkey dominating midfield with his long limbs... not always dominating fairly. Maybe it was Taribo simply declaring God had sent him to keep us up. 

That 5 year period (including the time after Smith of course) was just fun. Malcolm Christie "fouling" Barthez. The battles with Leicester and Forest.

Carbonari!! I forgot him. And now there's loads of players and games coming back in a confused mess. 

Bradford? 3-2 thriller. Wednesday at home comeback. Pierre Van Hoijdonk getting sent off. Taribo the first time he took on a striker. Sturridge v Arsenal and that we didn't sell him! 

The Leeds games!! Eurgh! The horrible Leeds games. 

Liverpool!! 3-2 At Pride Park. Laughing at Fowler and Owen from the Mansfield Bitter stand (?) Think Owen missed a sitter?

Wasn't lucky enough to be around in the 70's but thankfully I saw the little "golden generation" 

Whether the dates add up or not I feel like crediting Smith for all the good times. He strikes me as a top bloke that brings out character in people. A captain in Van Der Laan that did the same. Then we had loads of arrogant (in the football sense) hungry players who ripped up the big time. 

?? 

8 minutes ago, timmo said:

Was working away from the radio derby area. It was pre Internet days so had to ring one of those team talk premium rate numbers to get the news of his arrival. Good times

Imagine the bill you would’ve racked up last night trying to get the latest news. 

9 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Imagine the bill you would’ve racked up last night trying to get the latest news. 

Luckily it was on works bill. Even them days it was over a quid a minute 

The rarest of wins at Anfield with a goal from little (height not girth) Kevin Harper. Didn't go, but just a great memory of listening on the radio to Graham Richards, then getting a Chinese takeaway and being allowed to stay up to watch it on Match of the Day, whilst hopped up on Panda Pops. Must have only been 8 or 9 at the time but remember it so clearly.

Archived