What do we have to offer the New Manager?

There’s a lot of talk on here and elsewhere that, due to FFP restrictions, any incoming Manager will have to sell sell sell in order to make things work out financially. 

But let’s face it, that may only be Vydra, Carson and Davies if big money comes in for them. Mel has said that we need to cut our cloth, which means we’ll not be making any big £5-10m signings and reducing the size of the squad, but as I see it, that can only be a good thing as we have an overly large and imbalanced squad anyway.

But even if we sell 4-5 players and loan out a few more, we still have a squad which is more than capable of making the top 6 next season.

If the new gaffer wants us  to start playing more like Mac 1, then we can utilize Martin and Bryson and loan out Jerome/Nugent. 

I’ve felt sorry for Forsyth and Thorne this season as they’ve clearly struggled, but understandably as they’ve both had horrific injuries and long lay offs. But with another preseason, a system that works for them and some encouragement then they could well be back to their best.

We also have players who it’s difficult to judge them as they have been labeled as expensive and average, but have been unsettled in their positions and haven’t had consistent runs in the team (Anya, Johnson, for eg)

I could go on, but I think what I’m trying to say, is that what we do have is a squad that can be molded into a variety of different formations or styles with a few nips and tucks here and there, which is a unique situation. We just need a manager who has a plan, an ability to galvanize and motivate (like Mclaren mk1 did) and we could be a contender next season.

a fit and hungry 3-5-2 for example could be easily fashioned out of what we’ve got and we could still lose a few high rollers and bring in some young and hungry competition from the lower leagues.

The futures bright for whoever Mel brings in.

What he hell was Rowett messing about at? Our squad is amazing. Even Jewel could’ve got a team of this lot up.

??

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

There’s a lot of talk on here and elsewhere that, due to FFP restrictions, any incoming Manager will have to sell sell sell in order to make things work out financially. 

But let’s face it, that may only be Vydra, Carson and Davies if big money comes in for them. Mel has said that we need to cut our cloth, which means we’ll not be making any big £5-10m signings and reducing the size of the squad, but as I see it, that can only be a good thing as we have an overly large and imbalanced squad anyway.

But even if we sell 4-5 players and loan out a few more, we still have a squad which is more than capable of making the top 6 next season.

If the new gaffer wants us  to start playing more like Mac 1, then we can utilize Martin and Bryson and loan out Jerome/Nugent. 

I’ve felt sorry for Forsyth and Thorne this season as they’ve clearly struggled, but understandably as they’ve both had horrific injuries and long lay offs. But with another preseason, a system that works for them and some encouragement then they could well be back to their best.

We also have players who it’s difficult to judge them as they have been labeled as expensive and average, but have been unsettled in their positions and haven’t had consistent runs in the team (Anya, Johnson, for eg)

I could go on, but I think what I’m trying to say, is that what we do have is a squad that can be molded into a variety of different formations or styles with a few nips and tucks here and there, which is a unique situation. We just need a manager who has a plan, an ability to galvanize and motivate (like Mclaren mk1 did) and we could be a contender next season.

a fit and hungry 3-5-2 for example could be easily fashioned out of what we’ve got and we could still lose a few high rollers and bring in some young and hungry competition from the lower leagues.

What he hell was Rowett messing about at? Our squad is amazing. Even Jewel could’ve got a team of this lot up.

??

He certainly tried his hardest ramming square pegs into round holes for 16 months....it takes quite the stubborn personality to then blame the pieces for not fitting properly.

But yes,even with financial constraints (which may do us good in my opinion) there is still the basis of a decent team once let off the leash and allowed to express themselves.

We have top level Academy and a group of around 8 players in the U23s who are still looking for their chance in the first team. We've got a lot of experience throughout the team players who would get a chance in most other championship squads. Still some younger players in the squad to build the team around, with or without the seasoned Pro's. 

Biggest plus is potentially a manager will have the opportunity to build an almost completely new side the year after this one, with a likely increased budget, as we have most of the side with contracts all ending at the end of 2019.

My grievance with the 4231 is the amount of times we looked overrun in the middle. For this reason I want to see us go with the 343/433 option. 

Do we have the personnel for this? I think we offer the new manager a lot of good players with 1/2 very good players and some very average players. Certainly enough to be competitive. 

Carson/Mitchell

Wisdom/Bogle Keogh/Pearce Davies/? Forsyth/Lowe

Huddlestone/Thorne

Butterfield/Elsnik      Johnson/Guy

Weimann/Bennett                 Lawrence/? (Thomas if here)

Martin/Jerome

Sell Vydra and others not immediately in the first '22' so to speak. 

Try and add some quality in the missing positions, decent younger CB like those mentioned in the transfer suggestions. Good young winger from the prem, maybe Wilson? 

A manager is going to have to utilise what we already have as best as he can. With this in mind and thinking about the gripes with the 433 last time (no plan B) I would keep Jerome as our plan B from the bench, our 'it's not working getting the ball into Martin, lets turn their defence' type tactic. 

26 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Carson/Mitchell

Wisdom/Bogle Keogh/Pearce Davies/? Forsyth/Lowe

Huddlestone/Thorne

Butterfield/Elsnik      Johnson/Guy

Weimann/Bennett                 Lawrence/? (Thomas if here)

Martin/Jerome

Oh dear God no.

9 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

??

You mean the team then?

It depends who the manager is, if we take one off the manager re-cycling list he'll look at the squad and see it as a bunch of overpaid under-performers and start off in a negative frame of mind but if we appoint an up and coming manager from a lower league or maybe even abroad he may see them as much more talented squad than he's ever had control of and be inspired by them. 

The squad needs changing,we have a great youth academy,excellent training facilities a good fan base ,a good stadium, a owner interested in the club.

Lots to be positive about.

Expectations should be sensible for anyone appointed,so long as we can see the club/team being transformed and good football played.

Funds may be initially limited but that may not be a bad thing,giving some academy players a chance and clearing out some players with no future under new management.

Who ever takes the job ,we need to be patient as their appointment will be a difficult one, with a mixed squad consisting of too many previous managers,lots of old legs and few funds.

We are a good proposition.

Good infrastructure - Above average stadium, attendances, reputation and facilities.

Yes we may be in the position of sell to buy but we do have one obvious asset that will take care of that.

We have an appealing squad - any manager will look at what he has to work with and find a decent handful of players he feels he can use and who are capable of fulfilling the mandate of his job.

We don't have a total idiot for an owner, Mel may have a slight reputation but we aren't Leeds etc.

We back the manager with large fees and wages allowing us to attract/replace/hold on to players that the likes of Brentford can't

And importantly there isn't a ceiling, the club can grow with their success - if someone takes us up they will be backed to keep us there and progress.

There are only a select few championship sides more attractive than us and in nearly every case it's due to them being recently relegated and having both parachute payments and saleable assets.

6 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

I don't care what the financial situation is really. Time for a proper clearout. 

That's what has got us deeper in the doo doo. We've got to work with the squad we've got plus some U23s. No-one wants the players we don't want - are you surprised?

A year free hit to build and evaluate with, at a guess, £12,000,000 off the wage bill next season should the new manager deem XY or Z not fit for purpose. 

A few saleable assests for this year to start the build. 

Derby is an excellent project for some manager experienced or upcoming to make a name for themselves. 

We have all the ingredients but just need someone with vison,enthusiasm and a thought out structured plan to bring everything together.

We are still a big club in reputation and support. I potential giant Just waiting for some to come along and reawaken it. Just like a certain man called Brian Clough did.

come lads let's not belittle ourselves there's enough people doing that already.

keep the faith. 

onwards and upwards

I think its all about expectations and not changing the goal posts. 

For me, we need to set out that we do not expect promotion next season, that this stance will not change over the course of the season (regardless of whether we're 2nd or not) and that we need to stabilise the club financially, by;

- replacing and rebuild an ageing and expensive squad;

- developing youth prospects to drive a profit/use from the academy; and,

- maintaining, and where possible improving, a fanbase which is getting disenchanted with the same old failed promotion push year-in-year out.

I think the main issue facing Derby is that we don't have a consistent rhetoric. We go on about the need to develop youth, the need to play attractive football, that managers have got full autonomy, that we're not expecting promotion.

These all change as soon as we get a little bit excited about reaching the Prem, resulting in expensive players being brought in, limiting opportunities for the academy and then adopting a style of football to win matches that fans don't enjoy unless it brings results. Inevitably this ends in disappointment, a manager is sacked or leaves because they've been sold a lie, and we're back looking for the next messiah to lead us to the promised land. 

Phew... that got a little bit ranty.

I personally think that the retained squad isn’t bad and is attractive to managers.

First-team squad players under contract beyond the summer of 2018: Scott Carson, Craig Forsyth, Richard Keogh, Ikechi Anya, Tom Lawrence, Andre Wisdom, Bradley Johnson, Alex Pearce, Andreas Weimann, Mason Bennett, Kelle Roos, Matej Vydra, Max Lowe, Jamie Hanson, David Nugent, Marcus Olsson, Cameron Jerome, Curtis Davies, George Thorne, Jonathan Mitchell, Joe Ledley, Tom Huddlestone, Luke Thomas, Jayden Bogle, Chris Martin, Craig Bryson, Jacob Butterfield, Nick Blackman. 

I would sell Roos or Mitchell and bring in a better alternative to Carson, let’s face it does any trust Roos or Mitchell if Carson is out for a long period. Anya to me should be converted to a right back like Valencia at United. If you then say that our centre halves are Keogh, Davies and Wisdom plus one more. Possibly Pearce but I am very unsure. If you add in Bogle and Lowe. Bennett would be sold. We then have Weimann, Lawrence and Vydra plus Luke Thomas. I would look to keep Ledley and Huddlestone to guide Elsnik and Guy. You then have Thorne, Johnson, Butterfield and Bryson. Two of which could be sold. If we can Martin back firing we have a very good forward plus a decent back up in Nugent without even. considering Jerome. Blackman should be given a chance especially if we revert to two up front. I think we could need a new right back and one of Forsyth or Olsson could go. I would also go for a new winger.

People will disagree with me and shoot me down I am sure of it.

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's what has got us deeper in the doo doo. We've got to work with the squad we've got plus some U23s. No-one wants the players we don't want - are you surprised?

Give them away. Rather the U23's. 

Archived