Best of luck Gary x

Parsnip

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't enjoy the football , even in the best spell too often  we only played well for 20 minutes max. He did not seem to value skilful players, just 'energy'. I accepted he should be given a chance next season given we got to the playoffs but our overall performance against Fulham was embarassing,

He never took responsibility for anything and looked for excuses. Sorry but it's good riddance from me.

Sold Ince, Hughes and Russell. Loaned out Bryson and Martin. Singled out Keogh and dropped him after the Sunderland game and stripped him of the captaincy. He said Thorne would miss just a couple of weeks through injury after the Sunderland game and then he wasn't seen again for the rest of the season. Got us playing some of the worst football I've seen from Derby in my lifetime (I'm not as old as most of you old codgers). Signed a nice new contract, said he loved the club and then leaves shortly after failing in the play offs to join a fellow Championship club. The only way I could dislike him more is if he kicked me in the balls

But yeah, I can understand his reasons for wanting to go there ?

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

Sold Ince, Hughes and Russell. Loaned out Bryson and Martin. Singled out Keogh and dropped him after the Sunderland game and stripped him of the captaincy. He said Thorne would miss just a couple of weeks through injury after the Sunderland game and then he wasn't seen again for the rest of the season. Got us playing some of the worst football I've seen from Derby in my lifetime (I'm not as old as most of you old codgers). Signed a nice new contract, said he loved the club and then leaves shortly after failing in the play offs to join a fellow Championship club. The only way I could dislike him more is if he kicked me in the balls

But yeah, I can understand his reasons for wanting to go there ?

Oooch 

The reality is, I fink he jumped before he was pushed, still a snake mind, and he was never a big part player for us, not a patch on a Christian Dailly or Igor etc, not a legend at all in my mind, just a money grabber, leave Duffield snake man

1 hour ago, philmycock said:

The reality is, I fink he jumped before he was pushed, still a snake mind, and he was never a big part player for us, not a patch on a Christian Dailly or Igor etc, not a legend at all in my mind, just a money grabber, leave Duffield snake man

More interested in fashion and image than football and not the sharpest knife in the drawer either

5 hours ago, Parsnip said:

All the best Gary you big old tree x

Just to counter all the vitriol against Gary i just thought I'd write something a bit more positive.

For all his faults, he actually had a good go this season. Achieved play offs and I reckon another season with a bit of investment, he could have got us up.

In January, when a premier league club offered him a job - he turned it down, signed a new contract, and got on with the job of getting Derby promoted. Sadly it wasn't to be - but it wasn't for lack of trying on Gary's part. 

End of season, he obviously feels he'd need investment to take us any further - chairman says no - so he's moved on. He knows he's not exactly loved here anyway - and his contract ensures we'll get compensated. As far as I can see, the man's done nothing wrong.

So on that basis, although I'm hugely relieved he's gone, I have to wish him well.

COYR

I agree we had a decent go this season and he could have got us up, but I'm not sure how he's behaved deserves any positivity. If he'd have left to Stoke in January he'd be looking in the back of the paper right now for a new job because he'd have 100% took them down. Their squad is ancient even by our standards, vastly overpaid for the ability and there was a huge amount of toxicity at the club with the best players like Shaqiri essentially saying everyone was *****. It would have been a huge risk to go there in January and he knew it. Now he's going to be there in a weaker league with a massive budget, it's a much better and safer time for him to go now. The only praise he deserves for staying in January is that he has a fully functioning brain because that job was a death warrant.

What annoys me the most about his departure is he's made people like me look like a complete *******, and I don't need any help in doing that. People like me defended his dismantling of our sides attacking and technical players for the argument of stability, which the club is still crying out for. We've sat through some utter ***** this season like Birmingham at home, Sunderland at home, Reading at home and Burton away and I've still come away from it thinking 'no matter, we need the stability' (although Burton did have me on the ropes). We spiked up in form at the end of the season, lost to a fantastic Fulham side and I thought we would finally be rewarded in the coming season for our patience in the last one. I genuinely feel we were a summer away from reaping the rewards of what he was planning on building, but no, he jumps ship at the first opportunity for Stoke of all teams. 

I'm bitterly disappointed in how he's left and think it tells us a lot about the man when a couple of months ago he was talking about us being 'the only job he's wanted' and how 'getting us into the prem is his main goal'. So no, I won't be wishing him well in the slightest and I hope he has a disastrous time at Stoke, preferably getting relegated but just his sacking will do.

On a side note, it really makes me think how much investment he's asked for from Mel. With us he's signed Davies, Jerome, Huddlestone, Wisdom, Ledley and Lawrence while bringing in some quality on loan like Winnall and Palmer, which has been a pretty damn good backing if you ask me. I don't believe for a second that Mel has come in and told him he has nothing to spend, worst case scenario I can imagine him saying one in one out. I personally feel he was going to have another summer of going after highly paid established players like he's done in the past few windows, which again goes exactly against his 'young and hungry players' ethos.

Edit - Not having a dig at you Parsnip, apologies if it comes across that way.

You can’t blame Rowett for leaving. It was a no-brainer of a decision. More funds to play with, better squad, more wages, a cushtier job and probably a less stressful job.

Anyone calling him a snake or what not... Did you really expect him to stay? Why would he? 

A sane person wouldn’t...

He would have had his hands tied here, with a worse squad and smaller chance of promotion, and probably with a greater risk of getting the sack.

Come on... 

Thanks Gary for doing your best this season, and weathering all that pressure and comments from a lot of doubtful fans well. You did well to turn us round at the end of the season and give us the excitement of a playoff campaign after it looked to slip through our fingers.

That said, I absolutely hope everything goes completely t!ts up at Stoke. Go stuff yourself two shots

2 hours ago, lrm14 said:

I agree we had a decent go this season and he could have got us up, but I'm not sure how he's behaved deserves any positivity. If he'd have left to Stoke in January he'd be looking in the back of the paper right now for a new job because he'd have 100% took them down. Their squad is ancient even by our standards, vastly overpaid for the ability and there was a huge amount of toxicity at the club with the best players like Shaqiri essentially saying everyone was *****. It would have been a huge risk to go there in January and he knew it. Now he's going to be there in a weaker league with a massive budget, it's a much better and safer time for him to go now. The only praise he deserves for staying in January is that he has a fully functioning brain because that job was a death warrant.

What annoys me the most about his departure is he's made people like me look like a complete *******, and I don't need any help in doing that. People like me defended his dismantling of our sides attacking and technical players for the argument of stability, which the club is still crying out for. We've sat through some utter ***** this season like Birmingham at home, Sunderland at home, Reading at home and Burton away and I've still come away from it thinking 'no matter, we need the stability' (although Burton did have me on the ropes). We spiked up in form at the end of the season, lost to a fantastic Fulham side and I thought we would finally be rewarded in the coming season for our patience in the last one. I genuinely feel we were a summer away from reaping the rewards of what he was planning on building, but no, he jumps ship at the first opportunity for Stoke of all teams. 

I'm bitterly disappointed in how he's left and think it tells us a lot about the man when a couple of months ago he was talking about us being 'the only job he's wanted' and how 'getting us into the prem is his main goal'. So no, I won't be wishing him well in the slightest and I hope he has a disastrous time at Stoke, preferably getting relegated but just his sacking will do.

On a side note, it really makes me think how much investment he's asked for from Mel. With us he's signed Davies, Jerome, Huddlestone, Wisdom, Ledley and Lawrence while bringing in some quality on loan like Winnall and Palmer, which has been a pretty damn good backing if you ask me. I don't believe for a second that Mel has come in and told him he has nothing to spend, worst case scenario I can imagine him saying one in one out. I personally feel he was going to have another summer of going after highly paid established players like he's done in the past few windows, which again goes exactly against his 'young and hungry players' ethos.

Edit - Not having a dig at you Parsnip, apologies if it comes across that way.

Pretty much my feelings, as conveyed eloquently above.

You know what irritates me about GR - He's not half as intelligent as he thinks he is. He uses words of several syllables in sentences where they probably don't belong. Recently in an interview, I think he was referring to wages or costs, something like that, he said that had 'grown inexplicably'. I'm not sure what he meant (exponentially?). Anyway, I guess that says more about my neuroses than him but there you go.

In summary, he's left Derby so is nothing to me, onwards and upwards.

He came in and didn't really stick by his morals. He said he didn't want any aging players that were just here for a final pay check yet that is all he has signed.

He convinced me he was going to play this style that replicated Borussia Dortmumd yet he delivered this hoof ball. 

I think it was obvious from early on our midfield  (if you could call it thay) had more holes than Swiss Cheese. 

We got to second on the back of poor refereeing decisions oppositions bad luck and a degree of luck our selves. When that dried up we were exposed. 

I am glad he has gone. He wasn't good enough. 

4 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

Surely he will have to move out of Derby now and live in that beautiful city Stoke ! Oh and no Frank Drebben jokes please !! 

He lives in Turnditch. Should probably rename it Turncoat 

I’m quite ok with this, he is still in the potential box for me, although we progressed a little last year in points rather than style, I always thought our play was a bit limited and often surprised when we beat teams. He did give us more resilience at the back and Davies and Huddlestone were excellent signings. 

For me something was always lacking and I don’t think that would have improved next season . 

So£2mil in the bank and we move on, I would like someone like big Sam but if not Dean Smith would be excellent. 

The next manager is very important and I still think that we have a great shout at promotion next year spurred on by Rowett and Stoke and going up in their place.

support the new manager, support the Rams and move on. 

Happy holidays and cannot wait for the new season 

36 minutes ago, Gritters said:

He came in and didn't really stick by his morals. He said he didn't want any aging players that were just here for a final pay check yet that is all he has signed.

He convinced me he was going to play this style that replicated Borussia Dortmumd yet he delivered this hoof ball. 

I think it was obvious from early on our midfield  (if you could call it thay) had more holes than Swiss Cheese. 

We got to second on the back of poor refereeing decisions oppositions bad luck and a degree of luck our selves. When that dried up we were exposed. 

I am glad he has gone. He wasn't good enough. 

the bit that others pointed out and I kind of looked past as I thought he was dealing with changing Circumstances ,,, but no ,,, says one thing and does another ,, just says whatever will pull people in then does whatever suits him ,,, so yes snake is a good description , you couldn’t trust the bloke as far as you could throw him ,, not surprised mel was taken in by him

I knew he was the wrong man after watching us at Brentford the season before last and at Bristol City last season. Terrible, terrible football, a man with no respect for players with flair or creativity. I would go as far as to say he is our 21st century Tommy Docherty in the way he has walked out leaving us with worse players than when he arrived and left us weaker overall. On a professional level I wish him nothing but ill fortune for the rest of his time in football. He is a grade A cnut.

Archived