Blaming Rowett

DcfcJack

I've been seeing a lot of people saying they don't blame Rowett for leaving, mainly due to the financial situation here at Derby and the large sum of money he could spend at Stoke.

Personally, Rowett must have known the problems we would face if we didn't go up last season, so for him to take the job, not achieve promotion, and jump ship at the first chance at a fresh start is just shocking.

Don't know what you all think on the matter, simply put, can you understand his reason for leaving or should he have stayed for the long haul.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m glad he’s gone/going.

Irrespective of the Stoke situation, he’s taken us backwards as a club. Turgid, uninspired football, with a clear out of the young exciting talents and an influx of journeymen mercenaries.

That might fly at Stoke, but not here. 

Good riddance b ell end

I think it's entirety Rowett's responsibility, and I think Rowett's gone because the grass is greener and he thinks he'll have a better opportunity at Stoke.

He's looking after Gary Rowett and his career. No more, no less. Football is a marketplace where value is very volatile and he understands it.

He's played the game. Better than Mel.

It only hurts if you thought it or he was different.

I blame him, he knew what he was taking on it's his choice to go, but I'd be easier on him if he had't done the magagerial eqivelant of kissing his badge after the last Stoke approach. At least it all seems to have been quick, rather than a drawn out saga.

Rowett would have to have been completely blind to all that was going on if he wasn't aware his hands would tied more this coming season. He would have known this when signing the new contract. His choice to jump ship. Money has won, in the short term Stoke can offer him more cash to play with. Don't believe there is any issue with Mel.

I hate to use this term, but I think his tenure here can be summed up at best by "meh".

Usually I wouldn’t mind a manager going to a club who can offer more money and better funds, they are human after all and most of us would move jobs if such an offer was made.

The difference with Rowett (and McClaren) however is that he painted himself as Mr Derby County, and tried to get the fans to believe he wanted to be at the club long term and we were his dream job but is jumping ship at the first real opportunity 

Glad he's going,absolutely, but he's had his head turned because he can't get what he wants from Mel and the £60 million on offer at stoke was too much for him.

I'm just grateful it's happened,I was not looking forwards at all to next season and now I am.....

So I only blame him for what I have had to watch this season nothing more.

What I don't get is why didn't he go to Stoke before? He could have been managing in the Prem next season.

The fact that he took a pay rise here, fail & then go there anyway just makes him look like a money grabbing failure & I'm genuinely surprised that Stoke came back for him anyway.

I think in reality GR knows his own limitations. He knows, as he did as a player, that he's not a world beater. He's never going to manage England. Never going to be a top Prem manager and he's essentially only one poor gig away from being on his way back to League One. 

Look around at other managers who are effectively in the wilderness now after being praised as the next big thing. Keane, Ince, Lee Clark.  

He's bright enough to know that he has his limitations and eventually he'll be found out. So for now he just has to go out and jump around. Make as much money as he can and then when he gets found out he's got a big nest egg. 

I really think it's more an indication of his acceptance that he's not actually that good. He has one style. It's not for all. Of course he'll develop but management is more brutal than ever and it's a very short career. 

What hurts the most is the fact that he went out of his way to talk to Stoke and basically ask to leave, if Stoke had approached Mel, offered money and promised Rowett the world then fair enough, my own fault for buying into the stuff he was saying in January.

Wouldn’t have been too worried had he stayed, he’s started a job and I could see what he was trying to get at, slowly.

However, leaving now, with less than half a job done and with us in a worse place than when he started has annoyed the life out of me. He’s a spineless quitter and I’ll find it very amusing when he’s out of work in January. Mel gave him the tools to do as he wanted, including deeming our best player of the last two decades as surplus to requirements, and he’s quit after a year. **** him.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

What I don't get is why didn't he go to Stoke before? He could have been managing in the Prem next season.

The fact that he took a pay rise here, fail & then go there anyway just makes him look like a money grabbing failure & I'm genuinely surprised that Stoke came back for him anyway.

Avoided a relegation on his CV, now he’s not the man who took them down, but the man that can take them up.

We was top 6 at the time, it was possible that we could have replaced them up in the Prem. Had we done, he would be here still today.

Maybe.

Amazing how Rowett has done a McLaren yet has more sympathy 

McLaren went to a Premiership club which was massive and happns to be "his" club

Rowett is furthering his career and enlarging his bank account

Blame ... Mel and Rowett in equal measure 

Mel for going through managers and allowing us to "stock pile" now worthless players 

GR for jumping ship after selling our assets and bring in dross 

Will Hughes!!! That's what I blame him for. Can we have him back now? I mean, it must've been a loan? The amount we got paid was barely enough for a loan, nevermind a transfer.

I'm grateful for Stoke though.

13 minutes ago, Moist One said:

no, he's a quitter.

I blame him fully. if he had a problem with Mel, he should have walked, not waited to go to Stoke.

We will probably never know what the reason is for him moving on.

Managers have been moved on in quick succession over the past few years. Maybe just maybe Gary Rowett had more tolerance of those above him but has finally given up.

To blatantly call him a quitter with out any substantial evidence is a bit harsh.

11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think it's entirety Rowett's responsibility, and I think Rowett's gone because the grass is greener and he thinks he'll have a better opportunity at Stoke.

He's looking after Gary Rowett and his career. No more, no less. Football is a marketplace where value is very volatile and he understands it.

He's played the game. Better than Mel.

It only hurts if you thought it or he was different.

Mel has played it better than Rowett by tying him in with a lengthy contract and a buy out clause. Well done to Mel, great bit of business, now go and get a bigger and better replacement.

4 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I can only assume he didn't want to fail in the prem, chances are he would have taken Stoke down, been sacked and end up struggling to get a job, at least this way he wouldn't be massively out of his depth.

Archived