Next manager, who would you like in charge?

B4ev6is

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

It just sounds awful.

youd think with all those A levels he has gained, he might manage a little more linguistic subtlety than "lump it up top to the big lad". In which case he is likely to confuse our lads who will be used to Rowett-speak......

On reflection you're right - sounds like a car crash waiting to happen.........

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about Mel Morris? Seeing as it ain’t great at being chairman..... maybe he could make a go of it as manager..... he’ll be long serving to in the role no doubt and give us the stability we need. 

I actually wouldn't mind Lampard, as long as he states his philosophy is playing the ball on the ground and building up that way. Don't think he'd be the worst option in the world, as long as he gets enough time.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I actually wouldn't mind Lampard, as long as he states his philosophy is playing the ball on the ground and building up that way. Don't think he'd be the worst option in the world, as long as he gets enough time.

No - Just no - Appointing Lampard is just getting excited by a big name player

Clement had a much better CV in terms of a potential manager than Lampard and he wasn't ready for us as his first managerial position in football

If we're going for first time managers why wouldn't we just let Wassall step up? He has been around the club for ages, knows the philosophy, knows the players, has plenty of experience coaching AND running an institution (running the academy won't just be coaching) 

Personally when I employ someone at work I look at their CV - And we don't need someone who's only experience in management is "I've played for some"

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

Clement had a much better CV in terms of a potential manager than Lampard and he wasn't ready for us as his first managerial position in football

If we're going for first time managers why wouldn't we just let Wassall step up? He has been around the club for ages, knows the philosophy, knows the players, has plenty of experience coaching AND running an institution (running the academy won't just be coaching) 

Personally when I employ someone at work I look at their CV - And we don't need someone who's only experience in management is "I've played for some"

CV guarantees nothing. 

Nigel Pearson had a good CV, our worst manager since Paul Jewell. I'm personally not enamoured by the talk of experience or CV's, I don't think they prove anything. I find that it just means the same old names are dredged up repeatedly. I'd rather Lampard or Wassall than a name like Mick McCarthy. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

CV guarantees nothing. 

Nigel Pearson had a good CV, our worst manager since Paul Jewell. I'm personally not enamoured by the talk of experience or CV's, I don't think they prove anything. I find that it just means the same old names are dredged up repeatedly. I'd rather Lampard or Wassall than a name like Mick McCarthy. 

Based on his CV I wouldn't have touched Pearson with a barge pole ? And there are plenty of posts on here from 2 years ago to prove it

In the last 5 years we've had a whole bunch of experimental appointments - The only one with any slight pedigree took us to a playoff final - Then we had a guy who was actually insane, a first-time manager, a stop-gap who the chairman never really wanted and finally a former player who's only history was getting the best out of poor players

It'd be nice if for once someone at the club would look at who we are, what we have available and picked a manager who's had experience of managing top half sides, spotting young/cheap talent, developing teams and getting the best out of sometimes temperamental players - Those are qualities we need, there are managers out there who fit that criteria, couldn't we go find one instead of taking a punt on someone who's never managed before?

Bring it Lamps - Love it! It's the **** or bust approach - will bring it razamatazz, there's no way he'd play Rowetball and we'd shift a few a season tickets. Obv it could all go horribly tits up but it would be a fun ride ?

22 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I think it may be the other way round. Perhaps you are dismissing him just because he was a "big name player". Has a lot of qualities in my opinion does Mr Lampard. He would give our club a huge boost. Is there a risk? Yes, but well worth taking.

8 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

Bring it Lamps - Love it! It's the **** or bust approach - will bring it razamatazz, there's no way he'd play Rowetball and we'd shift a few a season tickets. Obv it could all go horribly tits up but it would be a fun ride ?

If we're going down in flames, lets go down swinging.

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I think it may be the other way round. Perhaps you are dismissing him just because he was a "big name player". Has a lot of qualities in my opinion does Mr Lampard. He would give our club a huge boost. Is there a risk/ Yes, but well worth taking.

We will simply have to agree to disagree Scarlet.....

11 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Based on his CV I wouldn't have touched Pearson with a barge pole ? And there are plenty of posts on here from 2 years ago to prove it

In the last 5 years we've had a whole bunch of experimental appointments - The only one with any slight pedigree took us to a playoff final - Then we had a guy who was actually insane, a first-time manager, a stop-gap who the chairman never really wanted and finally a former player who's only history was getting the best out of poor players

It'd be nice if for once someone at the club would look at who we are, what we have available and picked a manager who's had experience of managing top half sides, spotting young/cheap talent, developing teams and getting the best out of sometimes temperamental players - Those are qualities we need, there are managers out there who fit that criteria, couldn't we go find one instead of taking a punt on someone who's never managed before?

My personal favourite is Warburton, followed by Dean Smith. 

I think you can say people were keen on Pearson, though. The vast majority at the time were happy with him, said he had pedigree, mentioned his Leicester team etc. I just think that Lampard has the potential to do a good job, but I accept your point. 

For me, I just don't want a tired old name. That's an important factor in this for me.

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I think it may be the other way round. Perhaps you are dismissing him just because he was a "big name player". Has a lot of qualities in my opinion does Mr Lampard. He would give our club a huge boost. Is there a risk/ Yes, but well worth taking.

I have no pre-set opinion about big name players becoming managers - However I would like someone with a CV which has 'manager' on it somewhere - Even it was "u-9s manager" would be a start - As far as I'm aware Lampard hasn't even completed his coaching qualifications yet - Like - ANY of them

I agree he seems smart, sharp, insightful and certainly had the qualities as a footballer which we would like to see in our sides - But there is no proof whatsoever he could translate that into management - We're a top 6 side - Let's have a little more ambition please?

Martin O'Neil on the other hand - High profile player in his day I'd suggest :) - I would have in a heartbeat - Pedigree as a manager, knows how to deal with players, always gets the best out of teams, great man manager, has an affinity with the midlands, proven track record of delivering results - He gets a big yes please from me

I've no interest in the 'buzz' that appointing Lampard would create.  That would last about a week or two into the season. 

Sure being a top class player would help a little bit by earning the respect of the players or whatever, but i think having even some experience as a manager would be far more helpful.

I don't want Derby to be Lampard's learning curve. If he were to prove competent, and we have no clue whether he would be or not, with his name he'd be gone in a flash to the premier league at the first opportunity. 

From the front current list of front runners for the job, I'd probably opt for Dean Smith.

Not Martin O'Neill, certainly.  That would just be more of the same in terms of style. 

Today was the first time I've actually posted on these forums because I wanted to put my opinion on a new manager across. 

I've been saying all day how I think lampard is the way to go so thought i should give some reasons as to why.

First of all the other candidates:

Dean smith - yes he's done a good job at Brentford, but that is all within a certain set up in what seems to be a pretty well run club. He wont have that set up at derby. So I dont know how much of it is down to him and how much is to do with the background factors. They play decent football yes but im not sure we have the players to play that football here ( thanks for that Rowett). And tbh the name doesn't jump out at me as someone where I think yes! I ant him at my club! He would be my 2nd choice if it wasn't lampard.

Martin o Neill - I'm struggling to see the wow factor some fans are seeing when they think it could be him. He's been out of club football for quite a while now and alot has changed. Last I remember of him in club football was at a villa team that didn't play exactly great football. And without his John carew he had then I'd be unsure what he actually would of done.

Mick McCarthy - No thanks. If we appoint a mid table manager (at best) Then that's where we will aspire to be ourselves. The football will be terrible and I'll be struggling to get myself yo grab my season ticket at a weekend and be uo formatches like I did at times this season.

Igor - Your a legend. Stay that way

Other managers that are linked to derby and 'know the derby way', I think we should leave alone. Maybe it's time we change the 'derby way' to mean something different. 

Let's be exciting. Let's bring a buzz back to the club and its fans

For me the way to do that is to appoint lampard. He's hungry for success. Not only for whatever club gives him a chance but for himself. We may well be a stepping stone for him but he only gets that bigger move if hes a success for us. He's passionate, he's intelligent. He's bound to have contacts and plenty of friends willing to help him in the market. If there's no money to spend then use the loan market. After all Chelsea have probably the best youth teams in the country with plenty of players that would jump at the chance to make an impact in a first team squad. Just look at Tammy Abrahams at Bristol the other season. 

Granted his style of football is unknown. But I'd take the unknown over garunteed defensive hoof ball.

I want to be excited again. After all that's why we love football

It doesn't matter who we appoint it could end in disaster. But let's take a chance and not spin the merry-go-round and wait to see which manager falls off and hand them the job. Don't do things by the past. Let's be positive and try for the future

COYR!!!

3 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

Today was the first time I've actually posted on these forums because I wanted to put my opinion on a new manager across. 

I've been saying all day how I think lampard is the way to go so thought i should give some reasons as to why.

Dean smith - yes he's done a good job at Brentford, but that is all within a certain set up in what seems to be a pretty well run club. He wont have that set up at derby. So I dont know how much of it is down to him and how much is to do with the background factors. They play decent football yes but im not sure we have the players to play that football here ( thanks for that Rowett). And tbh the name doesn't jump out at me as someone where I think yes! I ant him at my club! He would be my 2nd choice if it wasn't lampard.

Martin o Neill - I'm struggling to see the wow factor some fans are seeing when they think it could be him. He's been out of club football for quite a while now and alot has changed. Last I remember of him in club football was at a villa team that didn't play exactly great football. And without his John carew he had then I'd be unsure what he actually would of done.

Mick McCarthy - No thanks. If we appoint a mid table manager (at best) Then that's where we will aspire to be ourselves. The football will be terrible and I'll be struggling to get myself yo grab my season ticket at a weekend and be uo formatches like I did at times this season.

Other managers that are linked to derby and 'know the derby way', I think we should leave alone. Maybe it's time we change the 'derby way' to mean something different. 

For me the way to do that is to appoint lampard. He's hungry for success. Not only for whatever club gives him a chance but for himself. We may well be a stepping stone for him but he only gets that bigger move if hes a success for us. He's passionate, he's intelligent. He's bound to have contacts and plenty of friends willing to help him in the market. If there's no money to spend then use the loan market. After all Chelsea have probably the best youth teams in the country with plenty of players that would jump at the chance to make an impact in a first team squad. Just look at Tammy Abrahams at Bristol the other season. 

Granted his style of football is unknown. But I'd take the unknown over garunteed defensive hoof ball.

It doesn't matter who we appoint it could end in disaster. But let's take a chance and not spin the merry-go-round and wait to see which manager falls off and hand them the job. Don't do things by the past. Let's be positive and try for the future

COYR!!!

WOW!  I'll have some of that thank you very much!

7 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

COYR!!!

I was going to write something similar. No need to now. You've put it perfectly 

Archived