Next manager, who would you like in charge?

B4ev6is

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

Yes! Thankyou! I'm not the only one then. Thought i was going mad for a second cuz no one seems to agree

Lampard would excite the fans again, who knows if he’ll be any good but what have we got to lose? 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Compare what Clough and Mac did with the same squad and then maybe that much is Dean Smith at Brentford?

I'm not quite sure I understand your point.

Do you mean you think Dean Smith could transform the team in the same way McClaren did with Clough's players? 

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

I'm not quite sure I understand your point.

Do you mean you think Dean Smith could transform the team in the same way McClaren did with Clough's players? 

Why not? What the players do on the pitch is surely down to the manager. If Smith can get (limited) success at Brentford with players he hasn't necessarily chosen then why couldn't he do similar here? Brentfords set up might be nice and stable but if they pick the wrong manager (even if the have the required MO) then they'll still fail. 

7 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

Lampard would excite the fans again, who knows if he’ll be any good but what have we got to lose? 

Exactly and as a fan I want to be excited again. We tried the safe options with Pearson and rowett. Didn't exactly work and the football was poor. Let's try something different

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why not? What the players do on the pitch is surely down to the manager. If Smith can get (limited) success at Brentford with players he hasn't necessarily chosen then why couldn't he do similar here? Brentfords set up might be nice and stable but if they pick the wrong manager (even if the have the required MO) then they'll still fail. 

It's a good point. I'd much rather see us take a chance on that than give it to a member of the Managerial Dinosaur Club!

To be honest I'm coming round to the idea of hiring Lampard. I quite like the guy, and I don't think any of the other names being banded around will have much more chance of success. I think we're more likely to be unsuccessful than not whoever we go with. At least there will be a level of intrigue with Lampard. He's likely interested in playing attacking football too.

Lampard would be a huge gamble but what do we really have to lose? No team is too good to go down but realistically I can't see us being in any danger. Even if Lampard was a catastrophe, we would get a short-term boss to get us out of it. He would get respect from the players, and others would want to come and learn off a player who has won basically everything domestically.

It'd be a risk for sure but I would much rather hire Lampard than some of the other names relatively high up on the odds list.

8 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

It's a good point. I'd much rather see us take a chance on that than give it to a member of the Managerial Dinosaur Club!

Agreed. The thing is as well a few people aren't taking into account that he had a really good record at Walsall before he joined Brentford and there he had complete control over all football matters (including transfers).

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Lampard would be a huge gamble but what do we really have to lose? No team is too good to go down but realistically I can't see us being in any danger. Even if Lampard was a catastrophe, we would get a short-term boss to get us out of it. He would get respect from the players, and others would want to come and learn off a player who has won basically everything domestically.

It'd be a risk for sure but I would much rather hire Lampard than some of the other names relatively high up on the odds list.

Our status in the Championship! ?

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Lampard would be a huge gamble but what do we really have to lose? No team is too good to go down but realistically I can't see us being in any danger. Even if Lampard was a catastrophe, we would get a short-term boss to get us out of it.

I thought we were looking for stability? Not more sackings!

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Stability is a two way street and whatever we'd like to believe Derby is - it's a stepping stone for managers.

If we hire an "on the up" manager and he has even a modicum of success, he'll be grabbed by someone else within 18 months.

If we hire an old-hat, we probably make no progress - a good case scenario is uninspiring football that gets us top 10. Stability could probably be found but likely at the cost of more fans.

If we hire a completely fresh face, they will remain a risk to other teams even if they have short term success with us. Sure, they might just crumble and be awful but then we just turn to an old-hat to calm things down.

I just feel like, with the hole that we're in and the future getting that bit dimmer - that taking a big gamble on an unknown quantity might be a good step in the quest for stability, even if it that seems strange.

it may help if Lampard comes in as we dont know what were getting. it will be exciting to see how he sets his teams up and how he wants to play. The signings would be interesting too no doubt Chelsea and City may help us out with some really good loan deals. I just think the whole fan base wouldn't be under the illusion of a certain style and play, if Smith was to become manager and good performances weren't being churned out everyone would begin to grumble. Would smith want to leave Brentford they finished 8th last season and are constantly improving and club is probably in better shape than ours right now. I wouldn't mind super Frank....

24 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Sacking would be a last resort. No real pressure on the manager means it would be a good time to bring somebody like Lampard in. If we’re 15 games in and struggling in the bottom three then that’s a different story, but otherwise it doesn’t really make any difference if we finish 10th or 18th as long as we look to be building an identity and style going forward again.

Archived