Next manager, who would you like in charge?

B4ev6is

4 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

We appointed Rowett ?

We did and he had the same ambition as all of us. Get the prem. That only changed when the pounds signs appeared in his eyes and he realised he can't do it with his management skill alone. He couldn't train players to play his way.Only spend money to replace them

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, cannable said:

I don’t know what that is 

there are much better accountants on this site than me but

butterfield was bought fro £6m on a 3 year contract, Players are assets so there transfer price does not affect profit and loss immediately.  The previous rules meant that he would costs us £2m pa until his contract ended.  The new rules changes that and an end value was required.  If we have maintained his value at £6m and not incurred any cost so far then we would have to sell him at £6m or suffer a loss which would badly affect FFP.  of course we could sell him for £10m........... 

Potentially some of the 'twelve' could be storing up some problems and it is not as easy as just offloading them from a pittance or letting the contract lapse

Provisos;

• my interpretation maybe wrong
  • I have no idea what value is attached to our players in the balance sheet and it is hardly likely to be public record

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

The more I read about Dean Smith, and the more I listen to stuff he's said, the more I get the impression that this guy is the Anti-Rowett. Different style. Different philosophy. Different way of doing things.

As much as this all appeals to me, there's also something nagging at me that was highlighted by @David - is changing the style of play again a good idea right now? 

My answer to that would probably be that there was no real style of play under Rowett underway, so a change wouldn't be too severe. But it's certainly worth thinking about. The appointment of someone like Alex Neil or Mick McCarthy would certainly point toward sticking with the Rowettball approach.

yep not easy.  given our recent past history I think the club may have been naive in the way it has conducted its football business.  Do we get an older guy in or a newer one that may struggle on the more corporate side. 

He’s not my choice at all, but I haven’t seen Kevin Phillips name mentioned anywhere. Apparently Blunderland wanted him?? Wonder if it’s crossed Mels mind..... hope not 

7 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

We did and he had the same ambition as all of us. Get the prem. That only changed when the pounds signs appeared in his eyes and he realised he can't do it with his management skill alone. He couldn't train players to play his way.Only spend money to replace them

I agree with the ambition being to get to the Prem. However, I hope that we can now be more ambitious with the style of football we play. Fingers crossed.

2 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

I'll be honest. Jim Smith was before my time.

My worry is another Nigel Pearson who's 'been there and done it'.

My opinion is give it to someone who has something to prove. That needs to succeed for their own career. Not someone who can fail and just use their previous achievements and fall into another job.

Jim Smith was a been round the block manager who came in and started very slowly but he brought in a couple of central midfielders then he somehow brought in a super self confident centre half and utilised a young fast forward on the books and we went on a fabulous unbeaten run and we achieved promotion to the premiership where he kept bringing in some fabulous players - all great days 

the players he brought in were basically Robbie van der Laan, Darryl Powell Igor stimac,Dean sturridge but there were more who helped the revolution

37 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Dean Smith is one of the few names who have popped up that I would actually like to see take the reigns.

Brentford play some lovely football and have built that on a small budget. My worry is to what extent Dean Smith has had a hand in this. Sure, the playing style is likely his, but all that savvy recruitment is probably more down to Brentford's backroom team. Unless we're bringing their recruitment set-up in too, there's a lot of question marks on this one. 

Dean Smith with Warburton as DOF maybe? Smith needs that a DOF I think as he's more of a coach. 

Wasn't Rowetts mate from Brum confirmed as coming in as a new recruitment guy of some sort? Darren Robinson or something? 

2 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

I agree with the ambition being to get to the Prem. However, I hope that we can now be more ambitious with the style of football we play. Fingers crossed.

I completely agree. That's why I'd like to see a young manager with a modern day philosophy. Not someone who's set in their ways and won't stray from their usual style of play

22 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

The more I read about Dean Smith, and the more I listen to stuff he's said, the more I get the impression that this guy is the Anti-Rowett. Different style. Different philosophy. Different way of doing things.

As much as this all appeals to me, there's also something nagging at me that was highlighted by @David - is changing the style of play again a good idea right now? 

My answer to that would probably be that there was no real style of play under Rowett underway, so a change wouldn't be too severe. But it's certainly worth thinking about. The appointment of someone like Alex Neil or Mick McCarthy would certainly point toward sticking with the Rowettball approach.

Whilst I would agree a change of style would set us back (at least a season I reckon), the constant unrest about Rowett's style makes a change likely in my eyes. We also have an prime opportunity to implement this given the amount of contracts that are up for expiry summer 2019. I guess a lot depends on Morris' motivations - is he desperate to reach the Premiership by any means possible or is he wanting to build a sustainable Premiership club of the future? The investment in facilities & the fact he is a fan would point to the latter.

I like the way Dean Smith comes across on that clip - my only concern is whether that is him speaking or whether it is Brentford speaking. As he says himself, the club is run in such a way that the effect of departing coaches & players is minimal. Its a very different set up here at Derby with very different pressures, although I'd love us to be run along the same lines.

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Jim Smith was a been round the block manager who came in and started very slowly but he brought in a couple of central midfielders then he somehow brought in a super self confident centre half and utilised a young fast forward on the books and we went on a fabulous unbeaten run and we achieved promotion to the premiership where he kept bringing in some fabulous players - all great days 

the players he brought in were basically Robbie van der Laan, Darryl Powell Igor stimac,Dean sturridge but there were more who helped the revolution

We apparently don't have the money to bring in such players tho. So bring in someone with contacts at prem clubs or even foreign clubs and use the loan market

7 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Whilst I would agree a change of style would set us back (at least a season I reckon), the constant unrest about Rowett's style makes a change likely in my eyes. We also have an prime opportunity to implement this given the amount of contracts that are up for expiry summer 2019. I guess a lot depends on Morris' motivations - is he desperate to reach the Premiership by any means possible or is he wanting to build a sustainable Premiership club of the future? The investment in facilities & the fact he is a fan would point to the latter.

I like the way Dean Smith comes across on that clip - my only concern is whether that is him speaking or whether it is Brentford speaking. As he says himself, the club is run in such a way that the effect of departing coaches & players is minimal. Its a very different set up here at Derby with very different pressures, although I'd love us to be run along the same lines.

This bit here pretty much sums up the primary conflict I have when it comes to Dean Smith.

Brentford are a success, on and off the field. But how much of that is Dean Smith? 

Would love Frank Lampard! He would lift our profile and would attract top young talent as they could relate to him...and want to play for him. I appreciate he is untried but they all were at one time or another.

29 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

My choice by far. To build something here with a longer-term vision I hope he'd be up for! Some sell's available for him. I think this is the right appointment for the longer term, would trust his loyalty more than the others - not that there is much in modern footy ?

3 minutes ago, SJDRams7 said:

Would love Frank Lampard! He would lift our profile and would attract top young talent as they could relate to him...and want to play for him. I appreciate he is untried but they all were at one time or another.

Yes! Thankyou! I'm not the only one then. Thought i was going mad for a second cuz no one seems to agree

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

This bit here pretty much sums up the primary conflict I have when it comes to Dean Smith.

Brentford are a success, on and off the field. But how much of that is Dean Smith? 

Just had a check on his stint at Walsall & it looks like he had a similar reputation there. Previous Head of Youth there too. Looks encouraging (assuming he hasn't written it himself!!);

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Smith_(footballer%2C_born_1971)

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Compare what Clough and Mac did with the same squad and then maybe that much is Dean Smith at Brentford?

Archived