Next manager, who would you like in charge?

B4ev6is

It’s obvious we’ll approach Brentford, Mel only does what he’s told to do by us, on here, that’s why Rowett’s gone....

This may be tongue in cheek but funny how often opinion on here seems to have always tallied with Mel’s actions.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

This is my thinking on him - we need to get through the next one or two years with very tight FFP who is better than him? 

It’s only a year before we have, assuming all twelve are on our average wage, £12,000,000 off the wage bill. 

It would take something drastically stupid from the next manager to get us relegated so we might as well give it someone who will build us pretty.

4 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Is he a manager (yet)?

Technically not yet no but he's done his badges and is qualified it's just a matter of someone giving him a chance. He may not work or he might be a hit. Who knows. But in my opinion our club isn't in as dire a situation as many people think. We just need a fresh direction. Fresh ideas. Or do we just spin the merry-go-round and see which journeyman falls off??

Dean Smith is one of the few names who have popped up that I would actually like to see take the reigns.

Brentford play some lovely football and have built that on a small budget. My worry is to what extent Dean Smith has had a hand in this. Sure, the playing style is likely his, but all that savvy recruitment is probably more down to Brentford's backroom team. Unless we're bringing their recruitment set-up in too, there's a lot of question marks on this one. 

6 minutes ago, cannable said:

It’s only a year before we have, assuming all twelve are on our average wage, £12,000,000 off the wage bill. 

It would take something drastically stupid from the next manager to get us relegated so we might as well give it someone who will build us pretty.

'all twelve' (senior players?) getting rid of next year without incurring a loss against their carrying value, hmmm good luck

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

As a player, I don't think I could ever be inspired by someone who spends the game shouting useful advice like Run, Kick it and Get out.

That type of management went out after the film Kes.

Bring back Brian Glover I say....

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Dean Smith is one of the few names who have popped up that I would actually like to see take the reigns.

Brentford play some lovely football and have built that on a small budget. My worry is to what extent Dean Smith has had a hand in this. Sure, the playing style is likely his, but all that savvy recruitment is probably more down to Brentford's backroom team. Unless we're bringing their recruitment set-up in too, there's a lot of question marks on this one. 

He managed at Walsall and would assume that was old school. Hopefully he'll have experience of running both types of club 

When Rowett mad his statement after joining stoke he said it was the "ambition" of the club that he liked. Granted everyone on here knows that's bull, however if we appoint a manger along the lines of a Mick McCarthy or someone of that mould, isn't that just showing a lack of ambition and backing up Rowetts point?

34 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Probably BS but someone on the Brentford messageboard has heard we are approaching Dean Smith today.

http://www.griffinpark.org/forums/showthread.php?t=129692&page=35

Intresting one Smith is, yes they play some very nice football but thier squad selection is based on the moneyball system ( it’s a good movie watch it) and Brentford have no under 23 side I believe due to the cost 

he is a villa fan and if Bruce fails at Wembley this weekend they may well be in for him

1 minute ago, TaylorRam84 said:

When Rowett mad his statement after joining stoke he said it was the "ambition" of the club that he liked. Granted everyone on here knows that's bull, however if we appoint a manger along the lines of a Mick McCarthy or someone of that mould, isn't that just showing a lack of ambition and backing up Rowetts point?

Just like we did with Jim Smith?

4 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

We appointed Rowett ?

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Just like we did with Jim Smith?

I'll be honest. Jim Smith was before my time.

My worry is another Nigel Pearson who's 'been there and done it'.

My opinion is give it to someone who has something to prove. That needs to succeed for their own career. Not someone who can fail and just use their previous achievements and fall into another job.

The more I read about Dean Smith, and the more I listen to stuff he's said, the more I get the impression that this guy is the Anti-Rowett. Different style. Different philosophy. Different way of doing things.

As much as this all appeals to me, there's also something nagging at me that was highlighted by @David - is changing the style of play again a good idea right now? 

My answer to that would probably be that there was no real style of play under Rowett underway, so a change wouldn't be too severe. But it's certainly worth thinking about. The appointment of someone like Alex Neil or Mick McCarthy would certainly point toward sticking with the Rowettball approach.

Archived