Next manager, who would you like in charge?

B4ev6is

Frank Lampard would be a massive, massive gamble surely? He seems an intelligent bloke and was a smart player, but that doesn't mean he will make a good manager/ I would also assume he comes with the caveat that if he came here and did well he would jump ship to the first bigger opportunity he gets. He isn't going to hang around waiting for Derby to progress with him.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

Screenshot_20180523-114234_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4f8d6cceb8226fc43ef43570d424664b.jpg

The latest front runners. Not too bad i suppose.

Anyone no what sort of football Martin O'Neil plays ? I've watched very little of the ROI if I'm honest and there usually the weaker farm so set up naturally defensive , I remember his Aston Villa team were pretty good mainly set up as a 442 with proper wingers a big and a little centre forward and box to box midfielders but no idea on playing style ? 

7 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Anyone no what sort of football Martin O'Neil plays ? I've watched very little of the ROI if I'm honest and there usually the weaker farm so set up naturally defensive , I remember his Aston Villa team were pretty good mainly set up as a 442 with proper wingers a big and a little centre forward and box to box midfielders but no idea on playing style ? 

I saw Ireland in a few group games on Sky and it was all pretty negative. Against the likes of Germany you can understand it but it seemed to be a similar pattern with most of the football I saw. I said earlier in this thread that I believe club football has moved on from O'Niel, but then again I thought that about Warnock.

10 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I would also assume he comes with the caveat that if he came here and did well he would jump ship to the first bigger opportunity he gets. He isn't going to hang around waiting for Derby to progress with him.

Name me a manager that wouldn't. Let's just say McClaren "flirted" with Newcastle, Rowett and Stoke. 

Trying to find a managers who's career ambitions end at Derby County will be difficult.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Name me a manager that wouldn't. Let's just say McClaren "flirted" with Newcastle, Rowett and Stoke. 

Trying to find a managers who's career ambitions end at Derby County will be difficult.

I understand that, but you will still get the usual uproar from certain elements of the fan base when it happens. It's good to know and understand that sort of thing up front so expectations can be set accordingly.

Martin O'Neill wow what an appointment that would be, time at Forest with BC who was subsequently very complimentary about his and John Robertsons management abilities 

Just because lampard has never managed before doesnt mean he would be bad. Every new manager is a gamble to any club. But I'd imagine he's got contacts and he definitely will have the passion and desire to prove himself. So what if he would see it as a stepping stone to better things and may want to leave one day. If that happened it would only be because he's done a good job with us. I say gamble. Bring a bit of life back into the club that rowett destroyed last season.

31 minutes ago, angieram said:

I always laugh when the subs are about to come on and the coach is waving diagrams in front of their face. I bet they are thinking "just let me get a run, kick it and score a goal!"

Did you read Zanzalas interview on the official site? THat is pretty much what he thought when he came on as sub and scored! ?

I'm pretty sure O'Neill gets thrown in the mix for most jobs that come up, the weird thing is he's one of the early front runners. I'd expect him to be up around the 20-1 mark and not be in the running really. Would be great if we did get him! I wonder if people have thrown some money on O'Neill and Lampard and that's whats shortened the odds?

1 minute ago, TaylorRam84 said:

Just because lampard has never managed before doesnt mean he would be bad. Every new manager is a gamble to any club. But I'd imagine he's got contacts and he definitely will have the passion and desire to prove himself. So what if he would see it as a stepping stone to better things and may want to leave one day. If that happened it would only be because he's done a good job with us. I say gamble. Bring a bit of life back into the club that rowett destroyed last season.

What’s his style of play? Is he a builder, organiser or is he a coach? 

He’d need to pass a bloody rigourous interview for me to give him the job.

6 minutes ago, cannable said:

What’s his style of play? Is he a builder, organiser or is he a coach? 

He’d need to pass a bloody rigourous interview for me to give him the job.

I imagine it would be a similar style to the way he played as a player. A sturdy defence but by no means was it hoof ball. Obviously this is just my guessing but I'd take that over any football similar to what we've had this season. He's a bright manager looking to make a career. Not just get a decent pay check. 

3 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

I imagine it would be a similar style to the way he played as a player. A sturdy defence but by no means was it hoof ball. Obviously this is just my guessing but I'd take that over any football similar to what we've had this season. He's a bright manager looking to make a career. Not just get a decent pay check. 

Is he a manager (yet)?

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I'm starting to think Mick McCarthy is inevitable. Not that it's a bad thing, I mean the job he did at Ipswich despite never spending more than 750k on a player is remarkable. 

First season, Paul Jewell had Ipswich bottom of the league with one win in three months, he comes in and wins three in his first month. He finishes in a respectable 14th. This is with no money to spend, he signed DJ Campbell on loan in January who finished the club's top goalscorer that season. The season after he finished 9th, then he finished 6th (D. Murphy scored 27 league goals that season) & 7th the year after that. Unfortunately, I think it caught up a little bit, 16th last season & 12th this season. It's still not a bad record considering all his best players were shipped out from under him (at least for decent fees) and he had barely any transfer revenue to work with. 

Admittedly, he is far from my first choice. It just depends on how tight our belts actually are. 

This is my thinking on him - we need to get through the next one or two years with very tight FFP who is better than him? 

Archived