Who is the best support band you have ever seen live?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the mid seventies, I went to see a duo called Medicine Head, who had had a couple of hit singles, at the Kedleston Road Tech (now University of Derby). They were supported by a very good jazz-rock group called Last Exit. They had a fella called Gordon Sumner on the bass who would later morph into Sting.

Around the same time, I also saw Kevin Ayers (with Andy Summers of the Police on guitar) supported by Soft Machine and Ivor Cutler.

Cant remember the years, probably between 2005-2008. Went to watch 'The Black Keys' who were supported by 'The Black Angels', just so cool. The keyboardist was smoking on stage so it was before the smoking ban. Great atmospheric music.

Aroundabout the same time went to see a band called 'The Duke Spirit', they were supported by 'Archie Bronson Outfit' who were a similar band really but had a much more aggressive sound. Loved it.

None of them are especially big bands but music fandom has changed, 'The Black Keys' became pretty big though.

On 10/06/2018 at 07:19, Ewe Ram said:

I think I might have been at that gig ?

not sure about the best but I can unequivocally tell you the worst - Sleaford Mods supporting The Specials. I just stood there wondering how they could even get a gig, hardly even resembled music. 

I did see Queen live in Stafford and I was right by the stage, wish I could remember if they even had a support! 

Saw them at The Bearded Theory recently, Sleaford Mods that is. I think they’re brilliant, only ruined by him saying ‘I duckin’ hate Derbeh’ at the end.

Love his commentary of East Mids life, well, British life but with an east mids twist. 

I live in the north west now so it’s nice to hear the accent.

On 10/06/2018 at 14:25, Ewe Ram said:

I don’t remember seeing Squeeze. I do recall Heavy Metal Kids, The Stranglers and a group called Budgie who I absolutely loved. I think we used to go to a record shop somewhere to get the Kings Hall gig tickets. 

Some Queen gig footage from New Bingley Hall (1978 I think) is around somewhere as my son found it. He’s a big Queen fan and showed it to me, I’m there at the front. 

Budgie, breadfan what a great song

https://youtu.be/54H3EUAzpVg

Archived